Whites GT Headphone Mod

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got this idea from another source that had plans to build your own headphones out of generic parts. I already had a set of Whites GT phones but I found they were way to harsh to use on my MXT. Otherwise I always thought they were comfortable to wear. I wish I knew about this mod before I bought some $100 headphones. Oh well. I found these to be a lot better after the mod and very usable on my MXT. No warranty expressed or implied.

This mod simply amounts to replacing the stock 30 ohm speakers with some upgraded 600 ohm Korbitone speakers and lining the housing with some foam. The speakers I got were part number 25CE500-R0 from www.mouser.com for about $17 delivered. These are supposed to be the same speakers used in some of the more expensive MD headphones.

The process is simple. Remove the foam pads just by slipping them off. Then pry the black plastic speaker mounting plate out of the housing with a small screwdriver. There are 4 places that hold it in. Once out you can unsolder the stock speaker with a pencil soldering iron. Then remove the speaker by gently pushing a screwdriver through the front opening against the plastic part of the speaker, while GENTLY pushing back on the 4 tabs that hold the speaker. Mine also has a little rubber cement holding them so there was a little resistance. The new speakers have wire leads that can be soldered and taped to the original leads. Cut some foam to fit inside the housings. Reassemble by reversing the process. If you broke any of the tabs holding the speakers of if they feel loose you may want to cement them to the black plastic piece with some cement of your choosing. I didn't need to on mine.

Attachments

• H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 807
  • H2..jpg
    H2..jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 368
  • H3.jpg
    H3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 344
  • H4.jpg
    H4.jpg