Jun 19, 2005
Upvote 0

Crutch

Sep 1, 2005
Springfield Tennessee
Detector(s) used
DFX / Eagle II SL 90
Re: white's metal detector--xlt

You didn't mention where you were hunting, that makes a big difference. On the beach, yeah, dig more. If you have to chisel up the ground then its becomes more work than fun. This is all about fun, IMHO.

My suggestion, which may be all wrong is, go hunt somewhere else until you feel more confident about your decisions to dig.
Nice well manicured yards in nice, older neighborhoods don't have as much junk in the ground as a rule.

I don't beach hunt but if I did and it was happening to me I'd hunt a nicer beach or just skip the pull tabs for a while.

I'm not sure my advise is correct for you but I wouldn't think you have a detector discrimination problem. If mine say tab it usually is. Go have some fun first then go back to digging the other signals if you start to doubt your detector. I use one a step down and another a step up from yours.

Hope this doesn't lead you off to far and sorry that small gold rings return the same VDI number as a pull tab. All the rings I have found jumped out at me with the penny/dime range so what do I know.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Crutch, I have only found one 14k gold wedding band and a couple of gold plated rings. One came in as a nickel or pulltab and the other in the penny dime area. I have static tested a couple of gold rings of my own, one 14k and the other 10k. On top of the ground they both come in in the penny dime range. Problem is that under ground they don't always come in the same way, or so I'm told. I don't plan on burying mine and leaving them in the ground for several months to find out! Heck, I probably couldn't find them again! And then there was that coin stealing dog of mine that dug up my coin garden and ran away. Damn I miss him! But I have another dog now that is already learning to detect coins! And a granddaughter that is doing the same. I'm really going to miss her! No, not what you're thinking, she and her folks are moving out of state! Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, rings........Could anyone give us some insight as to where those darn gold rings tend to ring up on their detectors? The circumstance and type of detector used woud be very intersting. Not meaning to hijack your post, but I hope this information would be of interest to us all. Monty

Cfm

Jan 15, 2005

shm477,

I run the MXT... Pulltabs and gold are in the same VDI range, Platinum and foil are in the same VDI range... sometimes you have to dig the bad to get to the good... its part of the hobby.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

Try not to get frustrated shm477. Two months is no time at all. In two YEARS you will still be digging pulltabs. That's if you want to be finding gold jewelry. There's just no way around it. Do some research and try to find a spot other than your city park that still has people throwing away those damn pulltabs. The only way to not find pultabs is to go where there are none.
It takes a long time to learn what your detector is telling you. If you don't have a good pair of detecting headphones get some. Learn to seperate good targets from bad by the audio signal. Use all the information the XLT has to offer. But it's the audio that many times can give you the best info. It's a very good detector but it's up to you to learn how to use it.
I'm not sure about the XLT but with my MXT it's important to pinpoint a target then resweep so the target is CENTERED directly below the coil. That gives the most accurate info.
When you locate a target sweep over it from different directions. At right angles to each other. This can sometimes help in ID'ing a target.
If you're hunting in really trashy areas a smaller than stock coil is a must to help seperate good from bad.
But mostly it just takes putting in the time to learn your detector. Hope this helps somewhat. Have fun! and good luck!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try to learn what each setting does and how it effects your detector. This is the same for all detectors. You should be learning about your detector and not just try others programs. They may or may not be right for you. In general try to set up to cherry pick until you get more confidence. Back off the sensitivy and discriminate out some more trash. Just remember you will not find everything you would have if you dig all signals and set sensitivity higher and allow more trash. Learn to notch out trash if you can. Try something new each time out. Try to identify with your best guess what you have found, this will teach you concentrate and start picking better targets to dig. Most of all keep trying. The detector you have is a good modeland you will find more if you try.

Ed Donovan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread