Whites MX5 - A Little Test Run Finds Some Silver

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I woke up super early this morning and decided that I'm going detecting regardless of the heat. We did get some rain late yesterday afternoon that was badly needed.

I arrived at the first site and it was still dark, but I could tell from the street lights that the grass really needed cutting and was wet from a heavy dew, so decided to search for another site.

I ended up at an abandoned house just about daybreak. I was finding plenty of wheat pennies that weren't all that deep due to the hard clay ground around the large oak tree. I almost didn't dig the Kennedy Half Dollar, it sounded too big and loud.

I finally corned my first silver coin near the sidewalk, a 1939 Mercury Dime. It wasn't all that deep and the ground was dry as a bone. By 8:30 I was headed for the house.

I had the MX5 set up in the 8 tones, I discriminated out everything below '0', sensitivity was set down 2 bars from the top. I never used the pinpoint button, because it wasn't needed.

The Garrett ProPointer and the MX5 don't get along at all. Luckily, the MX5 has a standby button. But still that's a lot of trouble to have to deal with. That may be a deal breaker for me, since I have 3 Garrett Pro Pointers.

What impresses me the most about the MX5 is how hard and deep it will hit a tiny gold ring. It loves low conductors.

tabman

MX5%201939%20Mercury%20Dime%20006_zpsh66mjrnw.jpg
MX5%201939%20Mercury%20Dime%20008_zpszxrhbwt0.jpg

MX5%201939%20Mercury%20Dime%20009_zpsdoqvgwio.jpg

MX5%201939%20Mercury%20Dime%20002_zpsyj2ikywx.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are still killing it man. Love the post and congrats on the Merc and another good day dirt fishing.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tabman, don't know if you figured out yet but when you are in standby mode and get through retrieving target, you can hit pp or standby mode to go back to search mode. I discovered this accidentally but like just hitting the pp button as I start out swinging.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are still killing it man. Love the post and congrats on the Merc and another good day dirt fishing.

Thanks. I can hardly wait till cooler weather gets here so I detect longer.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman, don't know if you figured out yet but when you are in standby mode and get through retrieving target, you can hit pp or standby mode to go back to search mode. I discovered this accidentally but like just hitting the pp button as I start out swinging.

Thanks. That's good to know.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread