Whites MXT ?

Caminochaos

Apr 14, 2010
My dad let me borrow his metal detector. I tested out by putting my gold vial on the ground that contians a 1 gram nugget and 1 gram of flakes/dust. I ran the detector over it and it had a different sound than metal or coins as expected. But, when I put the detector about a foot or so above the gold it made little or no sound. I know its a broad question and there is alot of variables but I was wondering how deep they go? What should I have the settings at?

Any other tips for this detector would be nice as well.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
I use the MXT 300 and I run the gain about 2+ or as far as it will let me without too much interference noise. I run the threshold so I can hear a slight hum. I run the dual control about 4 and 1/2. That is at coin and jewelry mode, it seems to work pretty good and goes pretty deep.
Good Luck

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
I have the MXT and it is only 14KHz. The higher the frequency the more sensitive to small gold. I have had good luck with mine BUT it won't sound off on the small stuff because of the lower freq.... Try using the DD coil instead of the stock coil also. Also when looking for gold you should use manual ground balance... It will give the machine better performance for gold. My opinions and I hope they help.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
The 4x6 dd Eclipse coil will help you see the smaller gold and get into tight places. This is a hot little coil and you won't loose much from the 6x10.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT has claimed many ounces in my ring of friends.It doesnt sound off well to your vial because it is many small pieces,not enough mass.The MXT loves pants rivet's and gold of that size.I do wish Whites would come out with a Manual G.B. MXT...it would gain the depth Whites machines lacks and needs

prospectordamon

Mar 31, 2011
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/6X10 DD Coil/950 Coil
i use the MXT with the 6x10 dd coil, haven't tried it out much on prospecting mode (me and kilnmaint are going to give it a go tomorrow morning)but the one time i did it went crazy on me, im used to coin and jewelry mode, not an all-metal mode. I can vouch for its depth and being a coin hound! ive dug late 1800's dimes 12+ inches

you have a good detector that WILL pick up small gold, hang in there and get used to it and it will pay off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread