pinpointer in crevices?

OP
OP
N

norcalmax

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2011
Hoser John said:
??? pinpointer are for the panties crowd-learn your unit and walk tall like a man- :laughing7: John
I don't have a detector you HOSER >:(, I was just wondering if they would work in crevices. :BangHead: :BangHead:!!!!!!! Thank you for your useless input. :icon_scratch:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't see why it would'nt when i go hunting this thing will pick up stuff that tiny pretty easy

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now that you've asked............ It does depend on the brand/model AND how well they air test on small gold particles. The airtest is not only to see if it will pick up the small stuff but from How Far Away and how far away is as important or more so than than the size of the particle. But with these provisos being in the positive for small size as well as from several inches away then yes you could/can.

I pulled some small "gold pickers" out of 'solid bedrock', the GMT said the gold was there so I looked and sure enough it was there. So, there will be larger gold in some bedrock somewhere and someday I will find some. These pickers had migrated 6" to 14" down and under the bedrock, through cracks and past fuzzy tiny roots so another factor is where are you going to be using the pinpointer? Some of the newer pinpointers or better ones do some awesome things and it would be cool if you could research them and then post your findings.

P.S. Hoser John is really ok, he's just down in the dumps as the stupid California Government/Greenies/Idiots/*:!!** types have enacted a suction dredge ban that is going to make life very hard on a lot of folks and it could get real ugly before it is all over as business's are already closing, peoples livelyhoods are being stopped and folks are not happy.

PPS - I do not blame folks for being upset! I know I do not like it and I do not dredge.

Good luck on your search for pinpointers, 63bkpkr

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,I have found nuggets with them.I also have a .....I forget the darn name!!Its a little box with a PVC probe that is a really cool gold detector :icon_scratch:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOOHOO, Hoser! I KNOW Hoser is just spouting off. I hope so... He is one of my Tnet heroes! (I've added absolutely nothing to this thread but .... I'm not alone!!!! ) TTC

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
its ok Terry i have read a lot of your stuff :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:
Falcon MD20 will pick up pepper size flakes
but with most pinpointers, won't fit in the crack of bedrock so ya need to clean it out with a crevice tool, then stand up tall like Hoser said and loop it anyway :notworthy: unless the gold is on the surface, then that metal detector will pick it up, well depends on the detector and the size of gold :tongue3:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2cmorau said:
but with most pinpointers, won't fit in the crack of bedrock so ya need to clean it out with a crevice tool, then stand up tall like Hoser said and loop it anyway :notworthy: unless the gold is on the surface, then that metal detector will pick it up, well depends on the detector and the size of gold :tongue3:
Thanks for the pat on the back! I try to say something when I can add.... sometimes saying nothing is adding LOTS. Hoser John has much to say. I listen to him, Kuger, and others. I am getting a little too old to try everything out for myself. I depend on their input. TTC

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC said:
2cmorau said:
Thanks for the pat on the back! I try to say something when I can add.... sometimes saying nothing is adding LOTS. Hoser John has much to say. I listen to him, Kuger, and others. I am getting a little too old to try everything out for myself. I depend on their input. TTC

:thumbsup:Keep after it bud

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I can say that my little cheese-ball cen-tech pin pointer from harbor freight won't, at least not anything I have laying around the house. I tried it on about 1/2 gram in a bottle and got no response. The largest piece in there is flat and about the size of this -----> O

Guess I'll have to find some bigger gold to test it on :D

minerjoe

Nov 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
ZED,2300,4500,t2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can see why you would ask the question, its a valid one for sure, but the thing is you just waste more time with one of those than what its worth.... if, you have a detector already. I use the 4500 with a joey or platypus and skip most of the smaller stuff then hit the big ones being most crevacing is so exposed already, then go back and hit every crevice i can find later. I think it would be hard to beat a joey mono and any gpx on bedrock.

10pan

Nov 21, 2007
North GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer, GP Ext. , CTX 3030, Whites Spectrum XLT, DFX , Discovery TF 900, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Falcon and it is a great prospecting tool , but it does not make a good pinpointer.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few Falcon pieces

Attachments

• nugs.jpg
    nugs.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 721

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on the size of the nugget

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Yep, thumbs up for the Falcon :thumbsup: It will find the tiniest of specks. Runs at 300 khz. Ok the depth may not be fantastic & I use it mostly for scanning quartz for any hint of gold & it has surved me well for doing that. Has also found me these beaut little suckers.

corogoldspeci5.jpg

corospecis3.jpg

But then I must admit a detector would have picked these up as well.

Good luck out there & happy hunting

JW :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread