Whites Prism V

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Hi Coda!

Welcome! I started metal detecting 2 yrs. ago and had no idea what detector to buy or what I would find. I went to a local dealer and my brother & I decided to purchase a Prism V. We thought that we would be really happy if we found a gold ring during the life of the Prism V.

In the first month or two we found a few coins and a lot of trash. After we gained more experience our finds increased. After 2 yrs. with the Prism we have already paid for the detector with the clad we found. Also found about 30 pieces of jewelry including gold and silver rings, pendants, necklaces, bracelets, etc... :D

Have not had any problems with the detector and had a lot of practice in the beginning digging at the beach & parks. Good luck! ;D

Tom

OP
OP
C

coda

Jun 29, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Detector(s) used
MXT
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I am getting what I expect to be a normal amount of trash until I learn the machine, but pinpointing is a challenge for me. There has to be more to the technique than is described in the manual.

C

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Hi Coda!

You are welcome! Are you pinpointing in "all metal" mode? I usually hit the "Pinpoint" button and also hit the "Multitone" button. When you hear the tone reach a peak then the object in somewhere below the hole in the coil. Try doing this by placing a coin on the ground where you can see it.

I have been digging a lot of junk so had lots of practice pinpointing. It is usually easier to practice (and dig) in sand or woodchips instead of grass. E-mail me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Tom

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Are you using a hand held pinpointer too? These will cost around $100 but trust me, they are worth it. Especially when you are breaking in a new machine or new to the hobby. I spent my first year without one. Now, 8 years into the hobby, I will drive back home to get it if I forgot it. Trust me, it is an excellent tool to have. It will cut down on search time tremendously.

Treasure Tom

Jun 22, 2007
Hi Coda!

Oldplace is right about the handheld pinpointer, it is something worth having, especially if you are cutting plugs in grass. I use a Bullseye and it cost me about $80 on sale. I don't use it on beaches since it is easy to scoop the target. Keep sweeping that coil and find some treasure! :D

Tom

OP
OP
C

coda

Jun 29, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Detector(s) used
MXT
Tom and Oldplaces,

Thanks for the advice of a pinpointer. I have been considering it. For the next week I will be hunting the coast: Cocoa bch FL, Jekyll Island and St Marys Ga. Im looking forward to it. I have not had as much time as I wanted since I got it a few weeks ago. I will let you guys know how the trip turns out.

Good Hunting
Easy Digging
coda

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread