Whites SST

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd love to help you with this one, but I've never used one.

I'm sure someone will jump in here to help you out. As well, Steve H. may have a write-up on it somewhere.

All the best,

Lanny

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I'm not mistaken, the Sierra Super Trac primary use is as a gold machine and uses much the same technology as the GMT except its locked in "full time tracking" without the option to go manual. Considering your stated interests, you would be much better off with a Gold Bug or GB Pro with the 3 accessory coils which would cover prospecting, relics, coin and do all quite well depending on coil selection. The new Gold Bug series is the latest in VLF technology and super user friendly.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The SST (Sierra Super Trac) is a stripped down M6 which is in turn a stripped down MXT. The SST is locked into the equivalent of the M6 multi tone discrimination mode with no threshold. Basically a general purpose hunt by tones detector; not really a prospecting machine though it can be used as such.

The SGT (Sierra Gold Trac) is the stripped down GMT you are thinking of. Locked into ground track mode, no discrimination at all. Both were made specifically for a Jimmy Sierra and are only available through his distribution channel as far as I know.

The SST owner manual http://ca.whiteselectronics.com/SierraSuperTracManual.pdf

The SGT owner manual http://ca.whiteselectronics.com/SierraGoldTracManual.pdf

I guess if you want a no threshold detector that beeps on all targets all the time the SST might be your thing. Pretty darn basic feature set for the money if you ask me. And can't say I am a fan of detectors that are locked into ground tracking modes like the Sierra Gold Trac SGT either, but that is just me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess my better choice in the same price point would be a Gold Bug then. I will have to do more studying or stay later at the summit Saturday and catch your class Steve. Thanks everyone for the advice.

GM

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for jumping in Steve

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the Gold Bug Pro within your budget range?

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is the Gold Bug Pro within your budget range?

All the best,

Lanny

I can afford the cost if there is justification for it. My issues at present are

1. This would be a starter machine so what type of learning curve vs reward would there be
2. Lack of knowledge of places to MD in my area
3. Would a lesser price machine do what I some what needed it to do and then move up
4. What long range forecast would someone have to think about to make the upgrade?

I realize that finding spots to hunt or someone to hunt with is minor (miner). What do you think would be good reasons for the GBpro?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're welcome to try out my VSAT. Worlds most complicated metal detector. Lol

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mojo, I believe I will see you at this Saturdays common dig. I'm planning on bringing my GB pro so would be happy to help you run it

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Mojo, I believe I will see you at this Saturdays common dig. I'm planning on bringing my GB pro so would be happy to help you run it

Hangtown I would appreciate that. I have viewed a few youtube videos of the GBPro but hands on learning always works best for me.

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds great GM, hands on it is, but prepare for fever spike :) Will see you there!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I was headed out to prospect a new unknown area and was only allowed to bring one machine (man that hurts!) it would be the GB Pro with accessory coils.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can afford the cost if there is justification for it. My issues at present are

1. This would be a starter machine so what type of learning curve vs reward would there be
2. Lack of knowledge of places to MD in my area
3. Would a lesser price machine do what I some what needed it to do and then move up
4. What long range forecast would someone have to think about to make the upgrade?

I realize that finding spots to hunt or someone to hunt with is minor (miner). What do you think would be good reasons for the GBpro?

Of course I can't guarantee anything, but I know Ray (who really knows detectors) loves his and he's found all kinds of gold during his uncountable outings, so I think you wouldn't necessarily need to move up beyond the Bug Pro unless you're going to be hunting some crazy bedrock that would require a dedicated gold pulse machine.

From what Ray's told me (and others too), the machine is fairly easy to learn, and it's right hot on finding the gold. So, investment wise, I think you'd do just fine by investing in a machine that would serve you for a good whack of time. Moreover, while you're searching out those nugget detecting sites, you can practice with the coin circuit to get to know your machine with the option to hunt in all kinds of other areas.

Of course a lesser priced machine would serve your purposes while you're learning, and then you could move up. That's always a well-thought out route to follow if you don't want to lay out that much cash right now. However, the machine you've mentioned doesn't seem to get the head nod that Steve usually willingly gives if he thinks the machine will fit your needs.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Lanny for answering all of my concerns. As I have never been MDing I do not know all the variances that I will encounter. It seems like everyone that is experienced in the craft and does well has multiple machines for hunting in one area to compensate for the differences in terrain and types of treasure to be had. After Steve explained how the SST actually worked I realized that this machine would not work for me. Fortunately I am going to be able to do some hands on testing this weekend due to a very generous offer by HangtownDiggins with his GBPro. I in return I have generously agreed that if I find California's largest nugget at his prospecting spot using his metal detector I will split it with him. I also have an great offer from Aufisher to try his Whites VSAT. Between these two I am sure that I will have a better idea of which direction to go.

Goldenmojo

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The SST (Sierra Super Trac) is a stripped down M6 which is in turn a stripped down MXT. The SST is locked into full time ground tracking mode. Basically a general purpose hunt by tones detector; not really a prospecting machine though.

The SGT (Sierra Gold Trac) is the stripped down GMT you are thinking of. Locked into ground track mode, no discrimination at all. Both were made specifically for a Jimmy Sierra and are only available through his distribution channel as far as I know.

The SST owner manual http://ca.whiteselectronics.com/SierraSuperTracManual.pdf

I guess if you want a detector that beeps on all targets all the time the M6 might be your thing. Pretty darn basic feature set for the money if you ask me. And can't say I am a fan of detectors that are locked into ground tracking modes either, but that is just me.

Steve Thanks for taking the time to do an in depth explanation of how this machine works. As I have studied more this week I have a better understanding of how metal detecting works in general. This machine definitely would not work in the way that I am planning to detect.

Goldenmojo

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the Mining Summit in Placerville so busy but glad to be helpful. Almost impossible to go wrong with a Gold Bug Pro as an all around or a GMT as a dedicated gold detector. Good luck whatever your choice!

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
Just to clarify, the White's SST is not locked into ground tracking mode. You can set it to ground track OR you can lock it in a fixed ground balance setting. I have one, use is exclusively for gold detecting, and LOVE it. It handles mineralized ground extremely well, and once you learn some other MXT tricks you can tune it to perform however you want. The 5x10DD coil is the best one for the machine and it comes with it - saving you extra expense.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since budget is a concern, the non pro version of the Gold Bug is a less expensive but still just as capable option at $500. Dennis

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to clarify, the White's SST is not locked into ground tracking mode. You can set it to ground track OR you can lock it in a fixed ground balance setting. I have one, use is exclusively for gold detecting, and LOVE it. It handles mineralized ground extremely well, and once you learn some other MXT tricks you can tune it to perform however you want. The 5x10DD coil is the best one for the machine and it comes with it - saving you extra expense.

I stand corrected and have edited my post that said different - thank you. The SST does have a toggle to enable ground tracking or to lock it. The SGT is locked into tracking mode. You can of course find gold with the SST, as can be said of any detector. In my opinion however there are better options for the money.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread