Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's pretty cool!!! Guess you found out you have it your blood! Hehe

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! That's pretty exciting. I have some old folders that my great-aunt and her daughter put together. Mostly wheat pennies, but still cool.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how long ago they were put together, you may have a decent chance at some key dates. My great uncles collection, put together in the '40's and '50's, was absolutely littered with key dates. My moms family cleared like $10k from selling everything, and this was back in like, '95.

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
bigscores said:
Depending on how long ago they were put together, you may have a decent chance at some key dates. My great uncles collection, put together in the '40's and '50's, was absolutely littered with key dates. My moms family cleared like $10k from selling everything, and this was back in like, '95.

Keep us posted!

Now I'm really getting excited! I can't wait to visit them so I can check it out!

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Coin Town said:
Now I'm really getting excited! I can't wait to visit them so I can check it out!

Did you ever get to see them?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give you 2x face on all pre 64 quarters dime, halfs.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! it's amazing how people used to casually collect coins even way back in the day just as we do today, but the more modern term that goes with that kind of activity is "coin roll hunting"... I hope you find some goodies!
hh
buff

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
"Coin collecting" aka silver hoarding and low balling. Coin collectors are far and few in between now days.

OP
OP
Coin Town

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
FloridaFinder said:
Did you ever get to see them?

I completely forgot about this post to be honest! Unfortunately though I have not been home to my families since I initially posted this...mom and dad are making a visit soon so maybe I'll convince him to bring them out!!!

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50cent said:
why not 64 and before instead of just pre 64, cause there are alot of 64 nickels a collector like you might be interested in if you expand your horizons.

Almost 3 billion to be exact. Lol

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about filling a Mason jar with 64 nickel and trying to sell em on feebay. I get one in almost every roll I open. They are my most hated coin -_-

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the early 1980's My father became convinced that the end was near, and he wanted to have silver on hand in small, easily identifiable quantities. He thought Dimes were the perfect solution. He bought 5000 pre 1964 dimes. As a coin collector, I was given permission to go through the bag and pull anything worth putting into a collection. I got myself a really nice book (the kind with the sliding doors that hold the dimes in place) and went about filling the Mercury and Roosevelt dime books. I was able to fill the Roosevelt Dime Book completely and filled the Merc book with all but three of the dates (Guess which three). Anyhow, fast forward about 30 years, my father gave those books to my son for his 10th Birthday. He eventually sold the rest of the dimes (the Mercs were sold to a Style company which used them to make cuff links, The Roosys went to a coin dealer at a coin show. My son worked for a few months to get the money together to fill one of the spots (I think it was a 1921 d, but I don't really remember). The book is still missing the 1916d and the 1942/1 (Which I think is a little like putting an off center coin in a common coin book). My son is now 12, and every time he saves up a few hundred dollars to get the 1916d, something else comes up and a new hobby starts... Someday he may complete that book (Anyone have a cheap 1916d in good to very good condition?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread