Who Collects Fossil Seashells?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Is there anyone here who collects fossil seashells?

This is a shell from the Pliocene - not very old at 3,000,000 years, or so. The spines, of course, would have been defensive against predators. These days, we can admire the preservation of these delicate features.

bivalveArcinellaB.JPG bivalveArcinellaA.JPG

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Nice! I have complete examples (some sort of scallop) that I collected years ago in Aurora, NC. Thanks for the look and nice pictures.

Chuck

Exnihilo

Jan 15, 2009
the first one is very wonderful but this kind if fossil is very hard to date. I prefer those of the Jurassic and Cambrian.

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
The first fossils I ever found (quite by accident, really...) were fossil shells. Most of them were (petrified) sand dollars but I also found bi-valves and nautilus type shells in the same area here on the coast of Northern California.

When I took a junior college geology class, I showed some of them to my teacher who said they were originally from an area about 150 miles south of where I found them. According to him, a tectonic plate of the Pacific Ocean meets another plate right along the shoreline of California's coast and it has shifted northwards that amount of distance since the fossils were deposited.

Here's a photo of some of mine:

MyRcksNFossls 009szd.jpg

Attachments

• MyRcksNFossls 009szd.jpg
    MyRcksNFossls 009szd.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 520

bbbaldie

Dec 27, 2010
NW Arkansas
From the Caloosahatchee.

That third one is particularly remarkable, the two bivalve halves still joined after missions of years!

Attachments

• caloosahatchee1.jpg
    caloosahatchee1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 543
  • caloosahatchee2.jpg
    caloosahatchee2.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 533
  • caloosahatchee3.jpg
    caloosahatchee3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 549
  • caloosahatchee4.jpg
    caloosahatchee4.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 527

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Who Collects Fossil Seashells?

My family would if we could go with someone who knows what they were doing!

We're in N Cent Fla too. Over Christmas we decided to finally try the Peace River, low water level, read up on where to go. Found a few manatee bones. We do better in the creeks in our hometown!! We must've been doing something wrong, even with the research.

Do you have a club that you go with, or are you on your own? Did you have to clean them up much? They are GORGEOUS - loved the spiny ones.

Tigger

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Tigger said:
Re: Who Collects Fossil Seashells?

My family would if we could go with someone who knows what they were doing!

We're in N Cent Fla too. Over Christmas we decided to finally try the Peace River, low water level, read up on where to go. Found a few manatee bones. We do better in the creeks in our hometown!! We must've been doing something wrong, even with the research.

Do you have a club that you go with, or are you on your own? Did you have to clean them up much? They are GORGEOUS - loved the spiny ones.

Tigger
I don't get out much now. There is no guarantee that you'll find keeper fossils when you go to the Peace River, especially if you go to the hard-hit easy-access places. You just have to go where others - many others - haven't gone. That may mean using a boat or a long walk. Wherever you go, it's preparation, exertion, and luck!

Fossil clubs are a good way to learn aboout places and techniques. I've never been too enthused about group outings; however, it's good to have some others around to pull you from the jaws of a 'gator (heaven forefend!).

Good hunting!

crocswimmer.jpg

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dos this count? It was found in our little creek we have on the place. I guess it is some sort of seashell. Maybe some of you guys could ID it, Tim

Attachments

• spring2011 002.JPG
    spring2011 002.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 465
  • spring2011 001.JPG
    spring2011 001.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 484

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
These examples aren't in such great condition, but I guess you would call them shell fossils. In the first photo, you can see a crystalized shell maintaining pretty much its original form near the top of the clump. And the second one is a crystalized shell. How would you describe those two crystalized ones?

I'm also adding two photos of shells that were attached to conglomerates containing mammal bone fossils. The first might contain part of a crushed skull and some other fossilized bones. And in the last lump you can see a fossil tooth sticking out of the conglomerate. But I'm not sure the shells are as old as the bones or when they got attached.

Attachments

• fshells 002.jpg
    fshells 002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 302
  • fshells 001.jpg
    fshells 001.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 334
  • fshells 006.jpg
    fshells 006.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 318
  • fshells 005.jpg
    fshells 005.jpg