🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's always an occasional "No" but, most of the time I've been given a "Yes"' by asking anyone on sight. Most of the time I'll try to find someone a little further up the chain like a machine operator and it's always a "Yes". I'm just not that desperate to hunt a spot that I won't go straight to the top if I can find out who that is. Usually the only problem anyone has is liability. Lawyers have property owners petrified someone is going to sue them. Construction companies are more concerned about their equipment or messing up there grading or finished work. I've had property owners and site superintendents gladly give me there card and tell me if anyone has a problem to call them. If they don't offer their card I always ask for it or there name and #.

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pesky workers keep asking me what I am finding

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    517 KB · Views: 94

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems really that you would need to ask the property owner. I've gotten permission on construction sites from the property owners, and the foreman both, but the foreman has given me permission because it was city owned property and when it is privately owned I didn't have a problem getting permission from the property owners.

Concerning city property, I've gotten permission from the mayor and a few times if I wasn't sure if the person who gave me permission was the authority, I would stop by the PD and let them know that "such and such" gave me permission and then I've gotten the PD's blessing that it wouldn't be a problem. I have never been turned down by a PD for detecting or had them tell me an area was a problem that they would stop me for and I've talked to the police at least 8-10 times.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems really that you would need to ask the property owner. I've gotten permission on construction sites from the property owners, and the foreman both, but the foreman has given me permission because it was city owned property and when it is privately owned I didn't have a problem getting permission from the property owners.

Concerning city property, I've gotten permission from the mayor and a few times if I wasn't sure if the person who gave me permission was the authority, I would stop by the PD and let them know that "such and such" gave me permission and then I've gotten the PD's blessing that it wouldn't be a problem. I have never been turned down by a PD for detecting or had them tell me an area was a problem that they would stop me for and I've talked to the police at least 8-10 times.

the only times I go out of my way to find the Police station
is when I get permission for Woods behind houses in areas I am a stranger.

then I stop by so they can write it up as an incident.

because these days it is almost definite a busy body or scared person
is going to call the police and report a prowler.

sometimes these home owners exaggerate their property lines also,
and will report you as a Trespasser if your close enough that their dogs bark.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Concerning asking police departments, on a number of occasions they have given me other leads. We got a lead to hunt across from the police station on city property when we asked if we could hunt this one lot. They told us to hunt this other lot also. While we were hunting it, a city official came across the road to small talk and ask us if we had permission. When we told him the police station gave us the lead, he didn't probe us any longer about what we were doing.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Construction companies don't own the property, most construction sites are private property and there are several contractors on site.

So you may ask a foreman for the finishers or the steel workers and get different answers, the GENERAL contractor oversees the project and property during the construction phase.

It's absurd to thing one can stroll onto private property and detect at will simply because a construction project is going on...

Asking workers or foremen is like asking a mechanic for permission... to borrow your neighbors car.

As far as the company and employees are concerned... they could care less what you do... they won't be in jail for trespass.

The GENERAL contractor is who one should contact... not any foreman they come across.

The foreman for the carpenters may grant permission and the foreman for the electricians may call the law... or they both may say go for it... but the GC has the final say and can boot the carpenters and electricians from the job along with anybody metal detecting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting booted later on is least of the problem, they will arrest you for trespassing on construction projects down here.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Im the foreman on that particular project and if i see you in there im gonna have to be all over you like a spider monkey and have you arrested

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im the foreman on that particular project and if i see you in there im gonna have to be all over you like a spider monkey and have you arrested

Yeah me too usually lol but I just tell them to beat it... we get shortcutters all the time trying to "just sneak through real quick" but if they get hurt it's my behind.

If I'm not the boss... do as you like he is over there...lol what do I care I'm not the guy who will be hemmed up later. But that's what happens when I'm all hopped up on Mountain Dew! :laughing7:

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
On jobs where I am the general contractor I would refer them to the owner of the property or the person that I have to answer to. I would also inform them that if there was any tampering, damage, or anything missing from the job site, they would be the first one questioned. I would also inform them of the dangers of the job site and my insurance company wouldn't approve of them being there. But.... if the site had any potential for good finds, I would have already hunted it. :-)
If it were a job site where I was a sub, I would refer them to the owner and not the foreman, job superintendent, or the general contractor. But again... if the site had any potential for good finds, I would have already hunted it. :-)

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been in construction for 30 yrs. I know that when it comes to new residential & new commercial construction, once a Bldg. contractor has taken possession of the property to commence work he legally has the defacto say about who comes and goes on the "construction site" - at least here in Florida.

Therefore, I would look for a Construction Trailer and ask to speak to the Job Super. If he signs off on your after hour md'ng I think you'd be good to go.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked multiple times, always told no by general contractor. Reasons were insurance doesn't allow it, private property, theft.....

Only times I was allowed was when I was there working and had detector with me. I was allowed a couple times after talking to GC while working on site installing telco equipment but was allowed to do so at that time only and was told I couldn't do so after hours.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go for the verbal and wouldn't ask for more. I asked somebody I work with if they would shoot me if I detected one of his rental properties. He said he wouldn't care what I did on the property. So if I would break my leg I wouldn't tell him. :laughing7:

Yea I've gotten I don't Care what you Do :) &

If you find a Treasure(Gold) It's Mine :laughing7:

or If you find a Treasure(Gold) we Split..:laughing7:

My favorite.: Loosely:

"This site is Very Historical, You could find anything.
there is a story of a buried paroll during the French & Indian war
when the soldiers Camped here.
I'm trying to sell this so I don't want to see the Historical society coming around
"

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Having been in construction for 30 yrs. I know that when it comes to new residential & new commercial construction, once a Bldg. contractor has taken possession of the property to commence work he legally has the defacto say about who comes and goes on the "construction site" - at least here in Florida.

Therefore, I would look for a Construction Trailer and ask to speak to the Job Super. If he signs off on your after hour md'ng I think you'd be good to go.

Pretty much the same here in Pa. I just wouldn't want the responsibility. I would push it on to the owner. But... if the site had potential for good finds, I would have already hunted it. :-)

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever seen one sign off ?

Yes I have. I've also heard them say no. I was not talking about whether you will get permission or not, I was talking about who to talk to when seeking permission on such sites.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if a person said "I'm planning on detecting this site this week-end if you don't care ,but I'm not asking for permission because I don't want you to be liable" Might fall under the "nobody cares" and might be a situation where you would not need permission. :dontknow:
Why not just say I plan to sneak in trespass and detect your private property when your not here...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if a person said "I'm planning on detecting this site this week-end if you don't care ,but I'm not asking for permission because I don't want you to be liable" Might fall under the "nobody cares" and might be a situation where you would not need permission. :dontknow:

I would say If you get a no on hunting because of Liability

something along this line
, "Would you mind If I detect without your Permission so you Don't have the Liability issue ?"

PullTabProphet

Mar 17, 2014
West FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say If you get a no on hunting because of Liability

something along this line
, "Would you mind If I detect without your Permission so you Don't have the Liability issue ?"

Lol, it's worth a try...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread