Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who dug Billy the Kid's grave......

Hey gang,
I recently bought nearly 70 old treasure mags ( Western treasures, Frontier Time's and a TON of True west ), and in Dec 1960 issue there is a article about Billy the Kid. Specifically about his funeral, more importantly who was there and the photograph that was taken. I tried to do a quick search of the funeral picture and nothing came up, so I don't know how many people know of this, but here is the story and the picture. A artist by the name of Lea F McCarty ( known for the " Gunfighters " book ) was in search of a photo of Billy the kids funeral. He started his search near Las Cruces and ended just outside of Fort Sumner. While talking to all kinds of people, he came across a Mr Sullivan, and it was Sullivan that found the picture of Billy's Funeral. As of the Dec/60 issue this picture has never been published. But McCarty was not simply satisfied with the picture but he also needed to know who was in it.
It kinda of interesting who was in the photo and why. Sullivan didn't know the names of the people in the picture, so McCarty stopped by Frank Coe's grandson for the answers.

For the pix and to understand why one of the people in the photo, was Governor of New Mexico, and the rest of the story follow the link....

http://www.goldenmirages.com/index.php?topic=925.0

PLL

K

Kentucky Kache

Re: Who dug Billy the Kid's grave......

I guess you have to be a member to view the pics.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey cache,
just register, it's free and then you have access to everything....Where would you be able to see this pix ??? worth a couple of seconds to register and the story is awesome !!!!

PLL

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

pegleglooker said:
Hey gang,
I recently bought nearly 70 old treasure mags ( Western treasures, Frontier Time's and a TON of True west ), and in Dec 1960 issue there is a article about Billy the Kid. Specifically about his funeral, more importantly who was there and the photograph that was taken. I tried to do a quick search of the funeral picture and nothing came up, so I don't know how many people know of this, but here is the story and the picture. A artist by the name of Lea F McCarty ( known for the " Gunfighters " book ) was in search of a photo of Billy the kids funeral. He started his search near Las Cruces and ended just outside of Fort Sumner. While talking to all kinds of people, he came across a Mr Sullivan, and it was Sullivan that found the picture of Billy's Funeral. As of the Dec/60 issue this picture has never been published. But McCarty was not simply satisfied with the picture but he also needed to know who was in it.
It kinda of interesting who was in the photo and why. Sullivan didn't know the names of the people in the picture, so McCarty stopped by Frank Coe's grandson for the answers.

For the pix and to understand why one of the people in the photo, was Governor of New Mexico, and the rest of the story follow the link....

http://www.goldenmirages.com/index.php?topic=925.0

PLL

Good site,pegleglooker.Thanks.Wish it was even more active.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

me too warsaw... but I'm trying day by day little by little

PLL

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's rather annoying for someone to post links to other sites to tell them to look at pics, and then require them to register to view the pics.

You could have just as easily uploaded them here as well.....

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

HOLA amigo Pegleglooker and everyone,
Thank you for posting the link and interesting article. You know this is quite a mystery - even the question whether Garrett shot the right man has never been proven beyond doubt. One of Garrett's deputies even said on viewing the dead man in the bedroom - "You've shot the wrong man." as the first words spoken.

Just recently I learned of other evidence that Billy the Kid had not died that night in 1881, for several years later at what is known as the "battle of Stoneville" (in Montana, just north of the Black Hills) on Feb 14th, 1884. Two lawmen had gone to Stoneville to arrest a gang - one "cowboy" who was either in the saloon or corral and not a part of the shootout suddenly grabbed his Winchester and opened fire on the lawmen, his first shot killing deputy Jack O'Hara his next shot piercing the clothes of deputy Willard. The "cowboy" escaped, and was identified as none other than Billy the Kid. He was reported to be hiding in a cave in the Black Hills a few weeks later, (Deadwood newspaper report 1884) and was last reported by an outlaw named Martin Marose (or M'rose) who said he had ridden into Clayton Wells New Mexico ( a cattle watering hole) in 1889 and they had $8000, proceeds of their cattle rustling enterprise, headed for Mexico. Marose was killed in Texas in 1895, and this Billy the Kid (going by the name William McCarty, similar to Henry McCarty) simply vanished. If Garrett indeed killed Billy in 1881, who was this William McCarty/Billy the Kid involved in a gun battle in 1884, cattle rustling in 1889 and identified by all who saw him as THE Billy the Kid? We probably can never know... :thumbsup:
:coffee2:
Oroblanco

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hey gang,
Ola Oro.... This is a mystery wrap in a enigma ( to quote a movie ), my question is who is really buried at Billy's grave ??? This artist McCarty wasn't able to find this photo until 1960, and even then it was kinda a fluke...and I have often wondered if it was not a " set up ", for people to think Billy was dead. If you look at the picture of Billy's grave, there was nothing there ( except a old tire ). Oro do you have any documentation on " your " Billy ??? Anything that you would be willing to share ?? I'm sure there are people that would enjoy whatever you could find < hint hint > ;D ;D ;D ;D

PLL

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

Just finished (painlessly) registering on the site, appreciate the link and info. :thumbsup:

(Loved the simplified registration, no leaving the site to check email to verify etc, is a huge plus!)

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Blacksheep,
You are welcome ( it's my own site )..I hope you enjoy it

PLL

K

Kentucky Kache

Nice site, but I really don't think it proves anything about Billy the kid. How do we know for sure who's grave that is?

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Cache,
You are SOOOOOO right... That's why I brought this up, just to see what people think and do they have anything to add or show ( researchwise )..

PLL

P

pippinwhitepaws

http://cemeteries.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/billy-the-kids-grave/

my 2 cents...

it is rumored...behind historians hands, that billy was not killed for being a murdering horse thief...it is rumored, that billy was killed because somewhere in his young travels, while befriended by the Hispanic population, billy acquired a taste for every married senora he could visit.
his ability to escape posse and husband alike led to legends...

several people have claimed to be the kid...one denied a pardon by the govenor of new mexico...one in arizona...the arizona claimant could in fact slip his hands through locked hand cuffs...just like the real mccoy...billy's wrists were larger than his hands...allowing him to curl his hand out of any restraints.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The "Billy the Kid" that was denied the pardon - was the one that went by "Brushy Bill" in his older days. He had scars in appropriate places for certain gunshots, and it was at one time "proven" that his picture was backwards (they had said it was impossible to be him because of the hand he was holding the gun in was wrong, when, in fact, someone had transposed a negative improperly", so it could have been him. If he wasn't Billy the Kid, he was almost certainly part of his gang, as he had a tremendous amount of information.

Mr. O's information can be found by anyone - at least anyone who goes to the Deadwood Library (Microfische library), and looks at the pages of the Black Hills Pioneer, 1884. It has the story of the battle of Stoneville, and also of the report of him being found months later in a cave in the Black Hills, going by the name McCarty, indentified by everyone as "Billy the Kid".

B

P

pippinwhitepaws

yes...mr o's information is good...i just added something i read...
neat thing i found out is one of billy's girlfriends ended up married to the first govenor of arizona...
many people believe the lincoln county war just moved into pleasant valley arizona...just like the stolen stock missing from tejas and new mexico...

lost records lead to confusion.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok so was Brushy Bill Roberts Billy ??? And according to the youtube, the body outside Ft Sumner was washed away when the Pecos river flooded.... I invite you to watch the vid and leave your thoughts...

PLL

[youtube=425,350]v/ZA5xbtWi1Y8&hl=en&fs=1"[/youtube]

P

pippinwhitepaws

another little known fact about billy...he was obsessive complusive with his hat...when ever he needed a new hat, he would cut the center out of the new hat, and attach the brim to his old hat...how weird is that?...i believe bushy was said to have this same habit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread