eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bowfisher45

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Gentlemen: Does anybody know Who and When the mine in which J. Clapp lived in on the West side of Hackberry Mesa was original dug and operated? Also the original Claim Papers of the original owner? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
No but im pretty sure that I had located it on google let me dig through some messages and see if I can find it

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all: Doesn't anybody out there know anything about who original due the J.Clapp Mine? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning all: Doesn't anybody out there know anything about who original due the J.Clapp Mine? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Good morning Mr. Davis,
Is that the same mine or cave that Barry Storm stayed in ?

Idahodutch

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All: This may help. The J.Clapp Mine area where the mine tunnel is located is in Maricopa County. I would assume that the original Mine books are at the Arizona State Archives. on 19th. Ave,. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All: This may help. The J.Clapp Mine area where the mine tunnel is located is in Maricopa County. I would assume that the original Mine books are at the Arizona State Archives. on 19th. Ave,. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Its been awhile but has anybody located any information on who originally dug the mine where J. Clapp lived? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Its been awhile but has anybody located any information on who originally dug the mine where J. Clapp lived? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Mr. Davis,
It turns out I will be in town for a few more days. I would need instructions on where to go, and what to do, but perhaps I could spend part of a day?
Let me know if there is something I can do.

Sincerely, Idahodutch.

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Davis,
It turns out I will be in town for a few more days. I would need instructions on where to go, and what to do, but perhaps I could spend part of a day?
Let me know if there is something I can do.

Sincerely, Idahodutch.
Sir: The mine is in Maricopa County. It will require one to go the Arizona State Archives (Polly Rosenbaum Building on 19th. Ave. downtown Phoenix). and go through the Mining Claim Books one page at a time and try to figure out which claim is referring to the location of the mine.. My best guess is that the mine tunnel was dug between the 1930's and the early 1950's. To dig that tunnel would have required drilling equipment and dynamite., so it was not a small operation. On top of all of this one must contact the archives a day or two before going there to make an appointment. Best to send them an email and inquire what records you are looking for, I.E., microfilm or the original Mining Claim Books. Not an easy task if you do not know the name of the mine or who filed the claim or when it was filed. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir: The mine is in Maricopa County. It will require one to go the Arizona State Archives (Polly Rosenbaum Building on 19th. Ave. downtown Phoenix). and go through the Mining Claim Books one page at a time and try to figure out which claim is referring to the location of the mine.. My best guess is that the mine tunnel was dug between the 1930's and the early 1950's. To dig that tunnel would have required drilling equipment and dynamite., so it was not a small operation. On top of all of this one must contact the archives a day or two before going there to make an appointment. Best to send them an email and inquire what records you are looking for, I.E., microfilm or the original Mining Claim Books. Not an easy task if you do not know the name of the mine or who filed the claim or when it was filed. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Hello All: The mine Jay Clapp lived in had to have been dug before 1950 because it appears that Clapp moved into it around 1951 or 1952. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. Davis,
Thank you for elaborating. It’s apparent that part of a day out of the few days I have here, is most likely not enough time to hardly get a look see…My apologies. I hope that you are able to find the information on the original prospector of Clapp’s mine.

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of nonsense by non miners on this thread. Lets see if we can't put real researchers back on track.

Mining claim location records are archived at the Maricopa County Recorder.
Arizona State law:

The locator of a lode, placer or millsite claim shall:
1. Cause to be recorded in the office of the county recorder of the county in which the claim is located an executed copy of the location notice to which notice shall be attached a map, plat or sketch of the claim, within ninety days from the time of the location.
The county recorder shall keep proper indices of mine location notices and maps by the cadastral subdivisions of the United States bureau of land management or general land office. The county recorder shall receive the fees prescribed in section 11-475 for recording a mine location notice and map, plat or sketch appended to such notice.

Looking elsewhere would be foolish and counterproductive.

There are no mining records at the Arizona State Archives. This link has the list of materials available in the State Archives:

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Clay Diggings. That odd, I have been to the archives in the past and physically held the old record books and looked through them. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
You must have gotten bad directions. The mining claim records for Maricopa County are all held at 111 S 3rd Ave #102, Phoenix, AZ.

You don't need to actually go there physically to view mining claim records. They are available online. Check it out:

The Maricopa County public records only go back to 1871. Maricopa County did not exist until February 14, 1871. They have been the official record keeper for mining claim ownership ever since public notice of mining claims became the law in 1872. If a mining claim was located in Maricopa County the original records for that claim are at the County Recorder and nowhere else.

The recorder will make you a copy of the actual original paper records. No other entity can do that for you because by law all the originals are defined as public records under the direct care and custody of the elected recorder.

I've been obtaining copies of mining claim records from county recorders in Arizona and elsewhere for nearly 50 years. I obtained more than 5,000 copies of individual mining claim records in the Phoenix, Arizona region last year alone. Every single one of those mining record copies in all 4 counties came directly from the originals in the respective Recorder's archives.

Maybe study the subject a little more? You would greatly increase your research skills and possibly with some diligence learn how to find the answer to the question you posed.

Educate Yourself and Prosper

...or not
the choice is always yours

OP
OP
G

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must have gotten bad directions. The mining claim records for Maricopa County are all held at 111 S 3rd Ave #102, Phoenix, AZ.

You don't need to actually go there physically to view mining claim records. They are available online. Check it out:

The Maricopa County public records only go back to 1871. Maricopa County did not exist until February 14, 1871. They have been the official record keeper for mining claim ownership ever since public notice of mining claims became the law in 1872. If a mining claim was located in Maricopa County the original records for that claim are at the County Recorder and nowhere else.

The recorder will make you a copy of the actual original paper records. No other entity can do that for you because by law all the originals are defined as public records under the direct care and custody of the elected recorder.

I've been obtaining copies of mining claim records from county recorders in Arizona and elsewhere for nearly 50 years. I obtained more than 5,000 copies of individual mining claim records in the Phoenix, Arizona region last year alone. Every single one of those mining record copies in all 4 counties came directly from the originals in the respective Recorder's archives.

Maybe study the subject a little more? You would greatly increase your research skills and possibly with some diligence learn how to find the answer to the question you posed.

...or not
Good morning Sir: I just received an email from the Arizona State Archives and they clearly state that they have the original Maricopa Mining Claim books from 1871 to 1946 plus they also have them on microfilm. A patrons choice as how they want to view the documents, originals books or microfilm. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Greg,

There was once a road that went from Bill Barkley's house to the mine that Jay Clapp lived in (the road went on the back side of Frog Peaks). This indicates to me that the Barkley's would've known who dug it, as anything being carted into or out of the mine area would've gone right by their front door. I believe the mine was also on their range. I couldn't recall if any family members (daughter) that lived in the house at the time, are still alive or are still in the area, but perhaps they know who dug the shaft.

I do know that Bill Barkley was friends with Clapp, and that they filed a mining claim together over at the foot of the central cliff in Old Squaw Canyon. It was named the "Hidden Mark".

Gus and Gertrude had several mining claims, but none that I'm aware of over by First Water.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

...or not

Boy, you just like to take potshots at everyone, don't you?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good morning Sir: I just received an email from the Arizona State Archives and they clearly state that they have the original Maricopa Mining Claim books from 1871 to 1946 plus they also have them on microfilm. A patrons choice as how they want to view the documents, originals books or microfilm. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
That's miraculous! I'm sure that you found the Walz mining claim location from 1886 in there. I got my copy direct from the source, the Maricopa County Recorder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread