Who has a detector they DO NOT like???

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Ok, well sorry it took so long to get back. Weather has been bad so didnt get a true test day in on the safari until recently. I have to tell you that i love this machine. The discrimination i would say is generally correct, (some items do put off the same signal) The pin point mode makes it extremely easy to find exactly where the target is, The depth is amazing, and it comes with a pinpointer, shovel , treasure pouch and detector bag. It is light and comfortable to operate as well. also a 3 year warranty. If there is anything else you want to know about the machine i will gladly answer any questions. Good luck on your decision.

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weddle546 said:
Ok, well sorry it took so long to get back. Weather has been bad so didnt get a true test day in on the safari until recently. I have to tell you that i love this machine. The discrimination i would say is generally correct, (some items do put off the same signal) The pin point mode makes it extremely easy to find exactly where the target is, The depth is amazing, and it comes with a pinpointer, shovel , treasure pouch and detector bag. It is light and comfortable to operate as well. also a 3 year warranty. If there is anything else you want to know about the machine i will gladly answer any questions. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks for the information...Glad you like your new machine...im still looking.....Tom

rgalan2003

Jun 14, 2005
pachuca mexico
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
deus xp v2.0,cscope 1220xd,yukon compass 77b(automatic and no automatic)nautilus IIB,teknetics mark I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated the first LS INFINIUM for beach hunting.I is very noisy-arratic whit its stock coil and less whit the 8 monocoil.I am very happy whit the goldquest aquasearch v2, more than the deepstar,the conector coil- control box is very weakly.
Rafael

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
I have a detector I do not like.... Only because its held together with duct tape and has not battery door so if the batteries wiggle it shuts off.
It still finds stuff.. but the boss says I cant get a better one until my clad pays for a new one :-[

stefpryce

Feb 22, 2010
Maine
Detector(s) used
f-70
bounty hunter, quick silver. my first detector. almost my last, but i stuck with it and spent 90% of my time over holes and losing signals.
i wouldnt recommend it, even as a starter

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
Weddle546 said:

Did you ever air test it on a dime? Just curious.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always like Garrett products but when I got my GTI 2500 it was so heavy it wore me out after an hour or so. I would always have to put it away and get out my ACE 250 to hunt all day. The 2500 didn't go as deep as I wished either. For a top of the line detector it should go a bit deeper than the ACE 250, but it didn't. I like to hunt club hunts just for the fun of it and speed is essential, but not with the GTI 2500. It was too cumbersome and heavy to speed up. I wrote Garrett and suggested the old 2500 was getting a bit behind in technology and asked if there were any plans to bring out a newer, lighter improved model and never got an answer. And they haven't. If they did, I would go back to the Garrett line up, because I really like some of the features, mostly the size of the target was estimated, and that nice lady talking to me was always soothing. Monty

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I have always like Garrett products but when I got my GTI 2500 it was so heavy it wore me out after an hour or so. I would always have to put it away and get out my ACE 250 to hunt all day. The 2500 didn't go as deep as I wished either. For a top of the line detector it should go a bit deeper than the ACE 250, but it didn't. I like to hunt club hunts just for the fun of it and speed is essential, but not with the GTI 2500. It was too cumbersome and heavy to speed up. I wrote Garrett and suggested the old 2500 was getting a bit behind in technology and asked if there were any plans to bring out a newer, lighter improved model and never got an answer. And they haven't. If they did, I would go back to the Garrett line up, because I really like some of the features, mostly the size of the target was estimated, and that nice lady talking to me was always soothing. Monty
[/quote

Monty, I have to say, I played around with one in Houston...It was like swinging a Television set around....Now mind you i'm not in bad shape, but I could not imagine using that monster for a long period of time....The screen is kinda big too....Tom

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I would toss in my 2 cents on the one I don't like and that is my White's PI Pro. The coil floats like a cork!!! This is a pain in the azz for a guy that hunts in the water. Also things don't rust as fast in fresh water so it will find every tiny hair pin or piece of wire of fish hook all the time before it finds any coins or gold. It has leaked twice now as I have the older black O ring and know how to close it up. So it just hangs on the wall like a critter pelt. :laughing7:

Willy

Fisher Coinstrike and Goldstrike. I really really HATED the gawdawful, absolutely retarded and shoot the engineer, user interface. AAAArrggh! It stink stink STINKS!! Other than that, they're fine detectors.. though the Goldstrike lacks an AM pinpoint mode. ..Willy

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008
Tom I had a 1350 too and it was definitely so-so for me as well. Funny thing, I was really impressed with the rubber type grip which I thought was much better and more durable than the standard foam grip most manufacturers use. I liked the sizing too. Once I got the hang of it, it was very accurate in areas that weren't too trashy. I didn't like the slow recovery speed or the mediocre depth. The ergonomics weren't bad but I've had a lot better. The detector just seemed like older, somewhat dated digital technology.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll agree with Monty on this one. Had the GTI 2500 and hated it. Heavy, no rechargable battery, not very good depth, and in my opinion horrable discrimination at depths.

fetz

Nov 27, 2004
lebanon,pa
Detector(s) used
ace 250/Tesoro Cortes/ Whites Bullseye pinpointer
the detector i hated the most is the one i have right now the mxt 300 partially my fault bought on impulse and salesman saying i wont mind the weight i do
started out with tesoros and love my garrett ace 250 ill grab that before the whites anytime think im gona buy a tesoro cortes and trade the whites in on it

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
I am not very fond of the Minelab X-terra 70. The depth is marginal at best, doesn't like nickels or gold very much (always gives you a choppy signal even if only 1 inch deep and the VDI is also jumpy on these targets), gives many false signals even with the sensitivity turned down to 8, No one makes in-line probes for them, Minelab doesn't make a 3khz DD coil for them. Cost is far too much for a entry level machine. Just my opinion.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't hate the 2500, just the weight and lack of depth were the two items that did not appeal to me. Maybe it was just the one I owned but max depth was about 5" under ideal conditions. I did find a lot of "stuff" with it though. Monty

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Monty wasnt implying that you hated it. Was saying I did. Sorry for the confusion. :thumbsup:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLT - Too heavy for me, too much scrolling to change settings. A whole lot of things would ring up as a 50 cent piece.

F2 - Seemed like a toy, flimsy and didn't like the tone.

Cortes - Hard to pinpoint. All coins ring up as 95, but so does deeply buried iron. Very annoying to dig WAY down just to get the iron.

F70. - way to chattery, gave me a headache

Now I have an Xterra, which I DO like.

bubbadirect

Apr 29, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
NOKTA Fors CoRe Pro Pack
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
White's XLT Spectrum
White's TRX pinpointer
Garrett Pin Pointer
Garrett ACE 250--too yellow, too flimsy, too erratic of signals, no depth past 3-4 inches
X-Terra 305-------too cheaply made, too flimsy, hard manual to understand ground balancing, no depth past 3-4 inchs

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202. Nothing but a kid's toy. It was my first one and I have only had two. Now I have an F5 and I love it. But look what I had before I got my F5. My two gripes about my F5 are no inline probe (which I think would be pretty sweet) and no rain cover. I mean come on folks, detectors are made to dig in the dirt and mud with. Don't ya think maybe it should have a rain cover?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread