Who is likely to stash a modern day cache?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
dogpound said:
i might just bury a altoid tin with some pennies in the yard just for a future cache hunter ta find so it will be posted on this site 50 yrs from now :laughing7:
Might want to re-think your thoughts. Post photos of the cache, and offer to let people look for it for a fee. Be interesting to see how long it took to have someone find it. Better than Masquerade or some other Treasure Hunt ideas some people have had.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
dogpound said:
i might just bury a altoid tin with some pennies in the yard just for a future cache hunter ta find so it will be posted on this site 50 yrs from now :laughing7:
Might want to re-think your thoughts. Post photos of the cache, and offer to let people look for it for a fee. Be interesting to see how long it took to have someone find it. Better than Masquerade or some other Treasure Hunt ideas some people have had.

Better plan on having your yard excavated! Do something like that and it will be dug up in no time.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of people are still caching money today. The problem is that they know about metal detectors. Cash in a PVC pipe doesn't respond.

I know for certain that every town has hidden caches. What do you think happens to all the money drug dealers make? How good do you think cops are at finding caches when they bust somebody?

If you dont already, start playing "geocaching". You will be amazed at what is hidden around you every single day. Geocaching helps train the eye and brain to look for certain things.

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Some of you all are probably aware of the coinflation.com website. Periodically, they post stories of caches put down by businessmen, embezzlers, income tax evaders, etc. A whole host of hidey holes can be found by scanning these articles. Based on research in my area, about half of the caches are concealed somewhere in the house.

Seajay

S

stefen

Jason in Enid said:
Lots of people are still caching money today. The problem is that they know about metal detectors. Cash in a PVC pipe doesn't respond.

I know for certain that every town has hidden caches. What do you think happens to all the money drug dealers make? How good do you think cops are at finding caches when they bust somebody?

If you dont already, start playing "geocaching". You will be amazed at what is hidden around you every single day. Geocaching helps train the eye and brain to look for certain things.

This is the 1st I've heard that cash in a PVC pipe doesn't respond...I assume you meant coins...

When relandscaping my home, I used ABS and PVC pipe sleeves under concrete for copper and galvanized pipes and can find them every time.

Can you provide some references?

Thanks

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he simply meant paper money buried in a plastic container won't ring on a detector because there isn't any metal involved.

btw- the geocash website is interesting. Geocashes are everywhere. It's a great way to become efficient with hand held GPS devices.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
There is one consistency to caches buried today and yesterday: asset owners hiding loot they don't want others to know about.

Some of the most effective caches are those hidden in plain site. One of von Mueller's books detailed a sum of gold nuggets added to the bottom of a concrete step for the house before pouring concrete. If the hider ever needed ready cash, he knew just how to get it out by remodeling the steps with a jackhammer.

Drug money is something else again. If you buy quantities of coins, either gold or silver, for later recovery there is often a paper trail now. During the Nuestra Senora de Atocha times, contraband from the New World was often thin gold bars hidden in bales of indigo, or raw gemstones like emeralds or rubies, in order to smuggle valuables past the inspectors in Spain who collected the Royal Fifth. Where to hide money in the house? The freezer for some cold hard cache? Wall safe might be safe. Floor safe might be safer. Ceiling safe might be even more safe. How about in a closet? A secret compartment in a table or desk? You must ask yourself: where would you hide valuables? Where would someone else hide valuables? (It really helps if you know already what those valuables were/are.)

Some sources for funds for caches today would include windfall profits, drug profits including marijuana, or even gambling gains. A friend who has passed, told me of a successful trip he had to Reno in the '50s in Reno. As he had had a good time all the way around, he was rather inebriated leaving the town toward Silver City. Worried about being followed and having someone rob him of his recent gambling gains, he pulled off the roadside, and buried his winnings. As he didn't live in Nevada, he never went back to collect. I'm not saying there was a lot of loot in this cache, just silver coins from the slot machines, and the owner has since passed. But that was when silver dollars were still being spent in change. I personally have had not reason to go to Reno in the last 15 years or more, but I remember driving from Reno to Silver City, and seeing the trees my friend mentioned in his story: now part of a subdivision!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Needs to be clarified... :coffee2:

Clarify what? I typed exactly what I meant. CASH in a plastic pipe. I didn't write "coins" "bullion" "silver" or "gold".

If you are talking about modern caches stop thinking about pirate loot. Gold and silver bullion has not been readily spendable for generations. Even most shops won't take silver coins because the clerks don't recognize them as "money". People today hide what they can immediately take out and spend. That means paper cash. Most of this isn't buried, it's hidden inside the house. The house is private, the yard could have nosy neighbors, satellites, planes, etc looking down. Yes, some caches are still getting buried, but look more for something hidden inside.

Also... Just becuase caches are still being put down, they are also still being recovered and spent. You have to have a set of specific circumstances to be able to have a recoverable cache.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you Jason. Todays cache is most likely to be paper, unless someone has stolen a coin collection from somewhere. Sure, old people still hide bottles of coins, but CASH also, The coins are usually just pocket change that is hidden, mostly not even silver. After passing away, my fathers house had money stashed everywhere, some in the usual places, others in specially made compartments, but mostly just in a plastic bottles hidden among the other junk he collected. When I would make a dump run for him, he always said, "thats money, dont throw it away", of course I thought he was just refuring to the usual trash he collected, but later I found that these plastic bottles were his favorit hiding place, so thats why he was worried. If he ever hid anything in the yard, then it was hidden good, but he has so many little sheds build, full of junk, that im sure these were his main hiding places, and the same can be said for all the other caches around. Our houses all have hollow walls, and celings have insulation, so these are the best places, not in the garden when people just had log cabins or very small houses. There are just too many places to hide a cache inside nowdays, and dont have worry about the neighbors seeing. Basements are even better, but not a crawl space, unless its a criminal stash. The normal person likes an easy place to "bank", and cant be bothered with digging in the rain, and paper money needs a dry place to stash, not in the onion patch.

I think that most older people that stash money, forget where it was, and just make a new stash somewhere, so may have dozens of hiding places, but not in a place where they need to work at getting it.

OP
OP
BobInFla

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
1970's model Garrett Master Hunter, AT Pro
If I was going to hide a cache of currency, OF ANY SIZE, it sure as hell would not be in the house. Houses burn and along with them goes all the contents. Maybe if it was in the frig, freezer or a floor safe it would survive, but not many other places in a house. I would be much more likely to hide something in an out building of some type. And even then it would probably be buried under the floor in the ground.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have a bit of a different take on the paper vs coin discussion. In my mind, I would not be worried about a metal detector finding a cache I would bury as the place I would be burying it would be protected against detectorists. As you all know, should you get caught with a metal detector in a National Park, you lose the detector at the very least, so there is a natural disincentive against law abiding detectorists going in and spending hours looking for caches there...makes it automatically a premium place for me to hide my gold and silver coins in cache form.

There are many other places that would fall into this same category where caches can be hidden quite effectively and get protection like the kind I point out above...very remote, very secluded, very safe.

If I was hiding a cache, I would prefer it to be gold coins of varying denominations as I do think they will be very useful in the 3 to 5 year range. Should no big problems occur, both should continue to rise as the governments of the world print money to spend their ways out of recession instead of growing their economies out of recession. And the economies that actually can grow out of recession will have huge demand for all precious metals to use in a variety of ways...commodity prices will continue to rise either way..its a win win. Should a massive world wide depression occur secondary to the default of the US government on its debt and unfunded obligations, then gold and silver will become one of the useful items to trade with at the local level, among other commodities.

People hiding caches of cash for the long term will be sorely disappointed either way it goes... :dontknow:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think a cache would be hidden close by, not a park or any other area, where couldnt be watched. I would hate to come back to a cache left far away, and find out there had been a bridge or road built there. If anyone is hiding a cache now days, it would be on their own property, or a property that they could keep an eye on. If its illegal money, then maybe on someone elses property. Since most cache's are banks, then it needs to be handy, not in an area where your constant visits would make a trail in the brush.

OP
OP
BobInFla

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
I agree very much with keeping it close by, where I can keep an eye on it. At the moment the State of Florida prohibits metal detectors in all state parks and forests. But under the Governor's proposed budget many of these parks and forests are scheduled to be closed to the public. The Feds also have properties that have been closed to the public. That would be like putting your money in a bank and later finding out the bank had closed. But with a bank you would at least have FDIC.

There are always tradeoffs when selecting a place to hide anything. But my personal choice is to keep it in a place with limited access and safe from natural disasters like weather, fire, earthquakes etc. If it was on proerty that I owned and could easily watch, metal detectors would not be a real concern. But on the other hand, if the source of my stash had been from some illegal activity, it would be located on property that could not be connected to me. It would also be encased in a nonmetalic container and would contain no precious metals. The location would also be one that I could visit without being easily observed.

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Ive Run a 3 Inch Pipe Through The Ground And 35 Ft Into My Basement
It Looks Like a Natural Dog Leash Pole In Front Of His House
And The Stash Is Wired To Get Pulled Through The Pipe When Im Ready To Be In Save Mode And Capped
With a Pipe Wrench :o

CaptJohn

Sep 6, 2006
Fairhope Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in horse buggy days, the dirt floor of a Barn was a good place to bury coins, Farmers selling cash crops still do this. Some hide paper money in their cars. A friend of mine bought a used truck from an older fellow, a week later the previous owner came to see him and asked if he could look for some jewerly he might have lost in the truck, my friend said ok, then later noticed that he appearred to be looking under the drivers side carpet and put what was probably folding money into his pocket. he had hidden money in the truck that he forgot about.

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only stash hard currency....not bills.....especially underground......

water can get to them bills and then you got nutin' left .......

Got a Mean Dog? then put it under that dog's House!

OP
OP
BobInFla

BobInFla

Oct 7, 2010
Leesburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Under a dog house is one of the first places many people look. If someone manages to get in your yard to search they would have already disposed of the dog.

This thread has has been totally corrupted from it's original intent and I am almost sorry that I started it.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have personally enjoyed this thread more than many recently. Many wonderful points have been made here and I would like to thank all of the contributors, as well as you, Bob, for starting this thread. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread