baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pumped! Other than the worn buffalo nickel I found in MO at the inlaws, I have never found anything old in our part of the world. Today I was at a tot lot that had sand instead of wood chips. I dug a signal and couldn't believe my blue eyes! A 1858 US penny!! At first I thought maybe it was a foreign coin and couldn't possibly be an old penny. I can't imagine how it got there unless it was some kid's lucky penny or something. It is really worn and someone scratched their initials on the eagle. I really don't care! I am just happy to have found something beside clad. You just never know, do you??
HH,
baylorhall

Attachments

• 1858 penny.jpg
    1858 penny.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 758
  • back of penny.jpg
    back of penny.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 759
Upvote 0
I would go play the lottery if I was you. I know the odds are long, however, the chances of you finding that penny in a tot-lot are even longer :tongue3: That my friend is a SWEEEEEEET find!!! Especially since you found it in a tottie. Way to go :headbang:

:icon_thumleft:

I would do some local research about that specific area. Maybe when they grated the dirt they kicked it up. Who knows?

HH

Cap Z.

Wow! That's awesome :thumbsup:

I would try to find out where that sand came from. . . :wink:

I know...I wondered if it came with the sand. Probably not likely, but wish I knew! I had no idea that these were made for such a short time. Now I am even more thankful!

Hey that's awesome dude! I live in the northern Texas panhandle and there are just not alot of opportunities to breach that 1800's mark. I'm somebody around here did! Congrats! :thumbsup:

From the patina, it was not in the ground not very long. Me thinks that a kid got into the coin collection again...

HH
-GC

That is just awesome!!!!!!!! I would definitely keep searching there for a while. Way to go. :headbang: :headbang:

Great find there congrats I know I sure would love to find one of those.

Nice Flying Eagle! Congrats......Hogge

Great coin with a great story. Lucky you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back