Who Said December is too late for a BBQ? 1902-s

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Hi all,
I managed to get out a little bit both yesterday and today in advance of us all being in deep s#@!. Yesterday, I was at a hard to find, but most likely cherry picked site. Why I say cherry picked is after 2 hunts there its only yielded 1 buff an 7 wheat, and the wheat all sound like junk. Anyway, yesterday, I got a 1914-s, 1919, 1927x2, and 1934 wheat pennies (not pictured).

Today, I went to my famous oldie site and managed to swing in a few areas I didn't hit too well in the past due to undergrowth. I was glad I did. It yielded me a 1902-S BBQ :thumbsup: My 5th BBQ on 2010 and my 2nd of that date. Unfortunately my last 3 Barber Coins (an 1892 dime, an 1892 quarter, and this one) have experienced bad oxidation and are white. Too bad, this one has good detail, although since the coin is white, it can't be seen on photo, but liberty is there, motto is full on reverse, and shield and feathers are in great shape. Anyone else see such whitened silver? That is silver oxide, so something in the ground, possibly acid from pine needles is oxidizing the silver.
12_3_10BBQa.jpg 12_3_10BBQb.jpg

I also found my most crusty, bad Indian head to date. Can only tell its an IH from what is visible on the reverse.
12_3_10IHa.jpg 12_3_10IHb.jpg

Happy hunting all, and enjoy the snow.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like your BBQ is missing some Sweet Baby Ray's! I'll ask my girlfriend the chemist how to reverse silver oxide. Awesome BBQ though.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score there bud! You say this is one of your spots...Is it "that special spot?"

Congrats

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Lookn4seated said:
Great score there bud! You say this is one of your spots...Is it "that special spot?"

Congrats

Yes it was. But it was not as special as that spot that you had your mother investigate back in Poland several years ago.

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Way to score a nice quarter before the big snowfall! You could try some baking soda, warm water and a Q-tip. The back will probably definately clean up but maybe not the front. I have a few silver coins I found this year that had that whitewash look to them. Some cleaned up, some did not.

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on a great find before the snow fall.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Jon, dug a few whities under pines in the past. Might be them thar needles brushing off the shine.

Still an awesome looker!

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice BBQ. I believe that happens from the copper leaching out over time. Most silver coins are 10% copper.
HH
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread