Who uses a coin probe?

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
I have never used a probe per se but occasionally I will take a screwdriver with me to probe shallow coins and recover them. What I would like to know is just how hard is it to probe locate coins
deeper than a couple inches. I do use a pinpointer and am pretty good at pinpointing with my detector, I just wonder if it is worth learning to probe for coins. My soil is typically harder to dig with rocks in many areas also.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago we didn't have electronic probes and the word probe meant a brass rod or screw driver which we pushed in the ground to feel for the coin and pop it out if it was shallow enough. The electronic probes are used to sometimes help in locating the target when the hole is deeper than a couple inches and to small for the coil to fit so the "probe" is stuch in the hole to see where to look. Inline probes from Sunray are really 1" coils that work off the detectors batteries and have a range of about 5-6 inches. I have one on my Sov GT but still use a screw driver because I hardly ever cut a plug, but I don't have many rocks either.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like hunting for old coins, why would you want to learn how to probe? All you will have is a collection of coins with scratch marks all over them.

If you only hunt for clad, then go for it. But the rocky soil does not sound like fun to probe through.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a brass probe from time to time when I hunt the land. I use the Detectorpro Uniprobe to pinpoint the exact location, then probe down till I touch something. When I remove my probe I have a depth marker by how deep the probe went and use that to gage the depth I need to dig. I then use the Ez-Dig-R recovery system to recover the target.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks are a really bugger.

I use a screwdriver to probe for coins and rinds. I have successfully probed for rings and pull tabs down to about 3-4 inches. It is mostly effective for shallower targets. I would say practice practice. It makes it easier when the ground is not well suited for plugs like when it gets hard and dry.

OP
OP
wwace

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
I was asking about the brass type probes. Seems like alot of the areas I end up hunting the soil is so crappy you cannot dig a normal plug with my lesche without
it falling into pieces as the grass is only just covering the crap soil. In the lusher turf areas I have no problems with plugs at all. Also I understand my detector fine
including accurate pinpointing after 4 years with it. I just am looking for better recovery methods for some of the local parks etc. I don't care about scratching coins
as the silver is almost non existant here. I haven't detected alot by any means but I have only found one 1906 barber dime in poor condition in four years. I just recover clad for battery and gas money. I have had some luck on recovering coins at around 4 inches by using a larger screwdriver and opening a "slot" i can get my fingers into as this doesn't really screw up anything. After things thaw a little more I will take a few pics for you guys. Thanks
D

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a probe with a rounded (like a BB) end some of the time. Works pretty well with coins that are laying flat, especially the larger ones of course. Sometimes hard to differentiate with a rock, however.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread