Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I used to have a DFX, however, if you can swing it, go for a Etrac. it's a deadly machine.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go buy a water machine. If you are hunting the beach, what's the point of having a land machine that you can't take out into the water? I use an Excalibur myself. But others might recommend other water machines.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will never ever go in the water deeper then calf deep, get a Minelab Sovereign GT, and then get the Coiltek WOT coil for it. Sovereign GT witha WOT coild is a beach vacuum, WOT coils are usually hot coils, and being a 15 inch DD coil you can cover a lot more beach in a lot less time.

If your going to hunt in the water (where the majority of the good stuff is in my personal opinion) get yourself a Minelab Excal....They are hard to find new, but there are good used ones out there, I know I got two of them myself.....

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
thanks 2 all for replys. i never go into the water as i am an out of shape 62 year old. if i did go i am sure the guys with harpoons would soon arive. my whites gave me a little trouble in the wet clearwater beach sand. it would beep when i was at either end of travel. other wise it was good. i enjoy treasure hunting an am loosing a few pounds.
thanks for the help, urdaboss

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
The etrac has been light out for me on saltwater and freshwater beaches..
There is a waiting list to get an etrac now.
I waited a month to get mine, but it was WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!!!

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
i have really looked for a minelab sovereign gt. also checked for a coiltek wot coil.
nothing used, checked ebay there 6500 items when i put in metal detector, 3 when i asked for sovereign gt. what would be a good second choice? again i only hunt sand. i called and got a price for a new one, about $798.00 plus tax plus a different coil.
thanks again for all your help. urdaboss kissimmee fl

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
:icon_thumleft:
going to kellyco this weekend here in orlando. i am going to try to swing the money for a new sovereign gt and see if they can credit me the coil and let me buy a 15" dd. any questions i should ask? thanks, urdaboss

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the WOT coil and see if you can get the extended warranty....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started beach hunting, those Greenpeace bastids kept trying to shove me back in the water!

Seriously, if you're going to buy a GT, invest in a harness to go with it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH said:
When I started beach hunting, those Greenpeace bastids kept trying to shove me back in the water!

Seriously, if you're going to buy a GT, invest in a harness to go with it.

Harness is worth it's weight in gold, it is so valuable I carry a spare............. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
thanks to all!!
treasure_hunter and gibh thanks for the help. you are right about the harness, i called the store and they said they would help with the price if i bought a new unit.
how many batterie packs do you buy with the sovereign? does the wot coil use more power?
thanks again. urdaboss

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
urdaboss said:
thanks to all!!
treasure_hunter and gibh thanks for the help. you are right about the harness, i called the store and they said they would help with the price if i bought a new unit.
how many batterie packs do you buy with the sovereign? does the wot coil use more power?
thanks again. urdaboss

WOT uses no more power then the stock coil that I have noticed, one battery charge will last more then 12 hours.....Battery packs are your choice, I have 2 Sovereign GT's so I have two battery packs, and 2 AA packs, but one pack and the AA pack is all you need in my opinion.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have been using a White's Surfmaster PI for years. It doesn't give false signals, it will go down at least 2' Even in black sand! It is waterproof, mine to 30' the new ones even deeder. They have been out for years so you can pick up a used one for a good price. I got mine at kellyco years ago. Just one thing.MAKE SURE IT IS THE PI MODEL, there are two surfmasters!
Good hunting, I'm over 70 and i'm still pushing mine around!

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
:dontknow:
i went to kellyco to buy a metal detector because they are big and a sponcer.
they were out of the sovereign gt so i opted for the excal, but they were out of that also.
they did have a surfari that they going to demo but could not find battery.
waited 10 minutes and he came up with one and showed it. i am not a bells and whistles kind of guy.
i am a kiss person. (keep it simple stupid) but i said ok i would take it. at the checkout i asked for the kellyco extras that they are noted for. the bag, pinpointer, extra battery, charger, digger, backpack etc.
the salesman said recharge battery was extra, ok i will pay the extra 50 bucks. then he said he did not have any chargers for the rechargeable battery.
it was NOT my day. i was the only cust in the store and things were not going well with this sale.
i asked for a 15" wot coil and he said they do not have anything like that.
i had $1500.00 cash that i could not spend if i tried.
told the salesman to call me when the excals were in and went home empty handed. tuesdays at kellyco must be bad days.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sovereign and excals are back ordered by minelab, kellyco does not sell coiltec wot, or the sunray coils at all, but they do sell the SEF DD butterfly coils, I have the 15x18 inch sef butterfly coil and like it.

OP
OP
urdaboss

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
:icon_thumright:
i stopped by KELLYCO and they said they had gotten some excal's in but that was to fill their paid orders. said they would get more in any day now. maybe i will be back at the beach soon, urdaboss

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If i were you i would wait for a Sovereign Or Excalibur they are the best for beach .And they are good inland detectors to . Now don't go crazy and buy something else then be sorry after. Stick to your guns. SOVEREIGN or EXCALIBUR..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread