who was Long John Latham?

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
I have a bunch of Lost Treasure magazines that my father in law picked up for me. My question is who the hell was Long John Latham? Was he a famous treasure hunter or just a ficticious character made up to sell magazines? Best part of the magazines.....besides some of the "leads" is the fact that he tries to sell shares to an exclusive resort that they are trying to buy. Seemed like an odd scam to me but.... If i have time later I will type up one of the resort share ads. Anyway anybody really know who he was?

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Long John was a real person. He had land in the West I think New Mexico that you could pay a fee to join his club and then pan for gold or go camping on the gated land. He later expanded to Arizona. If memory serves me he was the editor or publisher of one of the treasure mags in the seventies.

OP
OP
kierdan

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks guys :) I kind of assumed he was a real person. Now what is the g.p.a.a.? LOL If I remember correctly the mags I have, he didnt have any land at the time. I think at first they were trying to get an island??? I do remember some of them mentioning land in the south west. I will have to dig them out again and see what I can find. They were wanting people to send in a pretty hefty deposit that would be returned if the land deal fell through. I guess just raising the capitol for the purchase. Just sounded....alittle off.....to me lol. But thanks for the answers :)

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Hunting camps were an option in my area at the same time.Why would I pay $100 a share to get into a hunting camp when I lived and still live on all the acerage I need to hunt.DUH....That hunting camp sells for
$40,000 a share now with member approval before you can buy.20-20 hindsight.
I still got a place to hunt.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kierdan said:
Thanks guys :) I kind of assumed he was a real person. Now what is the g.p.a.a.? LOL If I remember correctly the mags I have, he didnt have any land at the time. I think at first they were trying to get an island??? I do remember some of them mentioning land in the south west. I will have to dig them out again and see what I can find. They were wanting people to send in a pretty hefty deposit that would be returned if the land deal fell through. I guess just raising the capitol for the purchase. Just sounded....alittle off.....to me lol. But thanks for the answers :)

the GPAA Is the Gold Prospectors Association of America

http://www.goldprospectors.org/

For a Membership fee you get free access to Gold Claims and land all over the U.S.

They also have Shows on Outdoor channel

and have another Org.

LDMA Lost Dutchman’s Mining Association

for the hard core http://www.goldprospectors.org/membership/ldma/

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
jimb said:
Yes, Long John was a real person. He had land in the West I think New Mexico that you could pay a fee to join his club and then pan for gold or go camping on the gated land. He later expanded to Arizona. If memory serves me he was the editor or publisher of one of the treasure mags in the seventies.

If I remember correctly,( it may have been a rumor-- back in the 1970's) Long John was in a poker game and in one hand he bet his magazine...and lost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread