Who Was The Big Fat Liar?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Google" FULL TEXT of Fluvanna County, Virginia & its people, some notes"; Robert Austin Morris.

I have looked through it four times but all I can find is where he was married. Can't find anything about Mayor of Lynchburg? What page? There is only like 90 pages. It mentions a John Robert Dandridge Payne that served one term as Mayor of Lynchburg, Va.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
TY for looking... NO page number. Very strange that you can't find it. It was a brief statement by itself; RAM "of Bremo Bluff.... he lived for awhile in Lynchburg, where HE SERVED FOR ONE TERM as MAYOR." Have to go to Jones Mem. Library in L'burg to check it out.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"Google" FULL TEXT of Fluvanna County, Virginia & its people, some notes"; Robert Austin Morris.

"Tara Amanda Pettit married Robert Austin Morris of Bremo. They have several children...he lived for a time in Lynchburg where he served one term as mayor"
"lived for a time in Lynchburg" does not appear to be the Robert Morriss of the Washington Hotel married to Sarah Mitchell, or the character in the Beale Papers, which also brings forth the question was the Robert Morris of the Beale tale ever the mayor of Lynchburg?
"They had several children" which Robert and Sarah Mitchell seems did not.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Tara Amanda Pettit married Robert Austin Morris of Bremo. They have several children...he lived for a time in Lynchburg where he served one term as mayor"
"lived for a time in Lynchburg" does not appear to be the Robert Morriss of the Washington Hotel married to Sarah Mitchell, or the character in the Beale Papers, which also brings forth the question was the Robert Morris of the Beale tale ever the mayor of Lynchburg?

I have compared the signatures of Robert Morris of the Washington Hotel to the Mayor of Lynchburg and they are one and the same. I posted their signature on this forum somewhere.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
IMHO.. they were DIFFERENT people. I was only focused on Mayor Robert MORRIS; NOTHING to do with the "JOB PRINT".

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
TY for looking; you FOUND IT! TY!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have compared the signatures of Robert Morris of the Washington Hotel to the Mayor of Lynchburg and they are one and the same. I posted their signature on this forum somewhere.

The question remains, if Robert Austin Morris, married to Tara Amanda Pettit was the 1813 Mayor of Lynchburg as stated on the Fluvanna county site and not the Robert Morris of the Beale Papers who was married to Sarah Mitchell, how can their signatures be "one and the same"?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Robert MORRIS DID manage the Washington Hotel...
Would that be the Robert Morriss if the Beale Papers and NOT the 1813 Mayor Robert Austin Morris of Lynchburg?
*NOTE* Neither are related to Robert Morris Jr signer of the Declaration of Independence.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beal.PNG

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Would that be the Robert Morriss if the Beale Papers and NOT the 1813 Mayor Robert Austin Morris of Lynchburg?
*NOTE* Neither are related to Robert Morris Jr signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Robert MORRIS (Mayor - 1813). HE later went on to manage the FRANKLIN HOTEL.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

It is interesting that this article claims that Morris on his deathbed, gave James Beverly Ward the Beale papers and ciphers and that Ward solved cipher #2, making Ward the "unnamed author", which highly differs from the job print pamphlet narrative of Ward receiving a finished manuscript from an "unnamed author" to act a agent of copyright.
PS, Doc, are you related to Bud Weiser?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Which Robert Morris? The one married to Tara Amanda Pettit or the one married to Sarah Mitchell?
One married to Sarah was MORRISS; HE was NEVER a Mayor of Lynchburg, Va. (by that name).

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One married to Sarah was MORRISS; HE was NEVER a Mayor of Lynchburg, Va. (by that name).

Well here is the Mayor of Lynchburg's signature as you can see he had two letter "s" at the end of his name: Robert Morriss Signature 2.jpg Here is Robert Morriss" name on the funeral expenses for his wife Sarah also. Sarah Morris wife of Robert Morris.jpg

I also have Robert Morriss' signature when he was partners with William Mitchell, Jr. before they ever came to Lynchburg and he was signed Rob Morriss.

Robert Morriss signature 1856 Rob Morriss signature 1856.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well here is the Mayor of Lynchburg's signature as you can see he had two letter "s" at the end of his name: View attachment 1767078 Here is Robert Morriss" name on the funeral expenses for his wife Sarah also. View attachment 1767080

I also have Robert Morriss' signature when he was partners with William Mitchell, Jr. before they ever came to Lynchburg and he was signed Rob Morriss.

"Rob."...? On official Lynchburg, Va. "document"...? Will check JML.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

It is curious that both Robert Austin Morris and Robert Morris are claimed to have been a one term mayor of Lynchburg.
Reminds me of the old TO TELL THE TRUTH tv show: "Will the real Mayor Robert Morris please stand up"!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread