tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't no flowers for those folks, guess no family members come by much any more.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will. I used to do a lot of work back in Oklahoma in various cemetaries where my family was buried. Hey, some of them the Johnson grass was taller than my head, and I always came in with a big 'Hey, how y'all doin?!' I will say the care has gotten better in rural Oklahoma cemetaries, and there isn't much for me to do these days. Decoration Day used to be a big thing for us, with everybody goin out to the cemetary and pretty much an all day get together and picnic. I don't see much hope of passin that tradition down to the younger generations.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
There is an Internet page which lets you access graves all over the US. If those stones are still legible, it would be a great public service to record the names, take a photo of each one, and submit it. Of course if we take an EMP or major asteroid hit and destroy all the computers it might be gone.

Try find-a-grave, not sure right now.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photo HutSiteDigger, one of the things I look for when scouting out spots to metal detect are the graveyards. I can get a good idea of the age of the site with them and at the same time I get a good sense of the community and the hardships people went through 200 years ago. When you see six or seven children in one family pass within months of each other you understand the toll that illness like small pox and yellow fever took. They may be gone but the headstones can still tell a good story.
ZDD

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too like to walk through the older parts of cemeteries to see how old they are. It's just a part of our history. There is a very small old working class cemetery near me that gives me the most peaceful feeling whenever I have occasion to visit it. Most of the names are Ukrainian, Polish or Slovakian which tells me they were coal miners of the area. I think back to the days of the back breaking dangerous work these men did for the fortune of the families that cared little for them and I realize how easy we have it today. I will have to make a special trip to take some pics for the forum. Great pic, HSD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread