Whos Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have multiple carry holsters and several other methods including undershirts with underarm pouches for pistols, under shirt waist belt with snap down, and I sometimes put it in a bag on my waist.......

I've been looking at something called the "MIC" holster for my Glock-19.
It's a snap-on trigger guard widget with an attached string. Looks pretty interesting...
That description probably doesn't do it justice. Here's a YouTube video on it.

I'm not here to hype the product, but if anyone has first-hand experience with these please feel free to PM me.
Also, I realize the G-19 is a little large for carry (for some), but I personally like having the extra rounds.
That said, I have been eyeing the single-stack 9mm's for a while now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a snap-on trigger guard widget with an attached string. Looks pretty interesting...

I'm not here to hype the product, but if anyone has first-hand experience with these please feel free to PM me.
Also, I realize the G-19 is a little large for carry (for some), but I personally like having the extra rounds.

I carry the Springfield XDs .45, single stack...

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally carry inside the waistband...appendix area for most of my activities. But with metal detecting, you are up and down and bending over a lot. Not good with that type of carry for me. Do you carry mostly in the small of the back instead?

I carry IWB, just forward of my hip, but far enough back that I can bend over. Most of the time I am using a long handle scoop (even in the dry sand) so that I don't need to bend over much. When I am on the beach, if I am carrying it's something slim, like a PT709 or a P64. The "Versacarry" can help slip it down further. It's basically a belt clip only holster (ie: no actual holster). Not recommended for a glock though. In Florida the police are fairly relaxed about licensed concealed carry, so accidentally showing while bending over is no cause for alarm even if someone gets upset. Their problem not mine.

I don't carry at all if I am planning on entering the water beyond knee deep. That doesn't usually happen at night though.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said, the day I feel that I have to carry a gun to the beach will be a very sad day. No offense but I think you all sound a little irrational

Claire(since you posted it twice), the absolutely Wonderful thing about America is that you get to make that choice. And I honestly hope you live a long and full life without ever experiencing the dark side of humanity. But as a former deputy, I have seen things and met people that will make uberliberals want to always be armed. Evil truly walks among us. I urge all good folks that are capable to carry legally everywhere that they possibly can. The more good WELL TRAINED folks we have out there, the better for good folks everywhere.

I got into the habit of 24/7/365 when it was required of me by my agency and I continue the practice now in my retirement. I still consider it the moral duty of everyone to protect those unable to protect themselves when the situation warrants. And yes, that includes those who refuse to CCW/protect themselves. That 'America' thing again.

But to answer the OP, it wasn't me. Mine is always concealed(my old duty G23). Don't want to give up that tactical advantage. I also carry pepper and some heavy zip ties in case the problem insists on going to jail.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks,

Just a general observation based on the comments in this thread.

I find it somewhat sad that things have deteriorated to the point that people feel the need to be armed going out in public for self protection.

I'm sure that wasn't the case going back 50 years or so ago.

Regards + HH

Bill

It seems like you're placing your "blame" on responsible citizens simply exercising their Constitutional Right to arm (and if need be defend) themselves, as opposed to those who would have the intent to do harm to others. Something about that just doesn't seem quite right.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting that 2/3 of our firearm deaths are suicides not homicides. Of course the libs will never mention that.

They also failed to separate how many "homicides" were self defense. But who needs to include all the facts when there are masses to be swayed. :dontknow:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I use the Fobus holster.When I carry. I also carry Glock 19. Just drop my shirt over it. I don't detect the beach though.laughing7: That looks cool because you can tuck it in anywhere!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CC,

That wasn't the intent of the post.....I was just feeling nostalgic for a simpler time which today's world obviously isn't things have gotten way more complicated and dangerous than in bygone days when most people didn't even bother to lock their doors for the most part among other things.

Regards + HH

Bill

It seems like you're placing your "blame" on responsible citizens simply exercising their Constitutional Right to arm (and if need be defend) themselves, as opposed to those who would have the intent to do harm to others. Something about that just doesn't seem quite right.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Leave it to Fido.

Attachments

• 1455197843964.jpg
    1455197843964.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 97

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scroll down to Laws.

(link removed by mod for politics)

Last edited by a moderator:

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Crispin,

Wow, I'm sorry you had to experience that horror and I appreciate your explanation and I totally understand how your view has changed and I respect that. Honestly, I just become scared when I hear how many "nobody better come and take away my guns"!extremists I hear. The beach and metal detecting is a stress relieving enjoyable activity and I have never felt the least bit in danger and it saddens me that others feel differently. I appreciate your thoughtful discussion and best wishes

I am curious how you label any of us including myself an extremist who would refuse to give up our Right to Keep and Bear Arms? And why would that scare you? Frankly us law abiding gun owners and concealed carry people are not the ones who use firearms to commit crimes. I think it is awesome that you live in a place where you do not have any contact with the common Riffraff and are insulated from the plights of the rest of the world.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would we be considered "extremist" if we were fighting to retain our right to free speech...

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Glock at all times not just detecting.
I am not going to put my families life on a betting table hoping the bad guy doesn't pull the trigger.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Just curious.... What rationale / reason do you use when applying for a CCW permit?
Are certain states easier to get them in? I live in Calif. I hear they're near impossible to get.
I guess I never realized how far gone CA is with their crazy laws. Do you need to give a "reason" to buy a fire extinguisher ? That's just a tool to be used in case of emergency too...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virgina law allows the open carry of some pistols

Can You Openly Carry A Loaded Gun in Virginia?
The answer to this question depends on the type of firearm and the location in which you carry it.Section 18.2-287.4 of the Virginia Code outlines the general prohibitions regarding openly carrying a firearm. The section prevents individuals from openly carrying three types of loaded weapons. The first two weapons are semi-automatic center-fire rifles, which include assault rifles, and semi-automatic pistols that are equipped with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds, can accommodate a silencer, or are equipped with a folding stock. Thus, Virginians are able to openly carry semi-automatic pistols and rifles as long as they do not meet one of the three above-mentioned restrictions. Section 18.2-287.4 also prohibits openly carrying shotguns with a magazine that can hold more than seven rounds. Therefore, Virginians can openly carry shotguns with this one exception.
It is important to remember that the weapon must be openly carried. Concealing an otherwise permissible weapon is illegal without a concealed handgun permit. In the CVS hypothetical above, it was the concealment of the pistol under the shirt that made the act illegal. Likewise, it is illegal to brandish a weapon, regardless of whether it is capable of firing, if doing so would cause a reasonable person to fear being shot or injured. Essentially, this provision of the Virginia Codeprohibits threatening someone or acting irresponsibly with an otherwise legally carried firearm.
Finally, the prohibitions on openly carrying firearms in Section 18.2-287.4 of the Virginia Code do not apply to several classes of people. The law exempts law enforcement personnel, licensed security guards, anyone lawfully engaged in hunting or activities at a shooting range, and individuals with a concealed handgun permit

Open Carry and Concealed Weapons Laws in Virginia - Avvo.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread