Whos Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who's Carrying a Glock While Detecting Va. Beach? Mention on National News.

"Not that there is anything wrong with it" lol Watching Fox Business News last night and Dagen McDowell mention that she had seen a guy carrying a Glock while he was metal detecting at Va. Beach. He told her it was to protect his gold ring finds. No time frame but seemed to indicated it had been recent. She is pro gun but was still seemed to be shocked to see it on the beach. Sure he has his reasons but I have not felt the need to yet. Has anyone else felt the need to carry at the beach?

Upvote 0

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious.... What rationale / reason do you use when applying for a CCW permit?
Are certain states easier to get them in? I live in Calif. I hear they're near impossible to get.

My rationale is I am an American citizen..:headbang:.

No rationale is required in Florida, you apply, turn in copy of fingerprints, photo, you pay your registration fees, they do the background check and then issue your license....

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just curious.... What rationale / reason do you use when applying for a CCW permit?

Its called the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution: "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed."

Nortonics

Greenie
Nov 20, 2007
The day I feel that I have to carry a gun MDing is the day I hang it up,

Be responsible and do your family, friends and community a timely favor - purchase a piece, get a permit, and carry it everywhere, including detecting. Your life and others may very well depend on it. Otherwise I have some property in San Bernardino you might be interested in...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day I feel that I have to carry a gun MDing is the day I hang it up,

I carry everywhere I go, stores, gas stations, movies, beach, malls, church, Disney and so on, been doing so for years.

I refuse to be an unarmed victim...

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I carry everywhere I go, stores, gas stations, movies, beach, malls, church, Disney and so on, been doing so for years.

I refuse to be an unarmed victim...

Disney? They have a no firearms policy, and they search everybody. Better not get caught on Disney property with a firearm, or they could prosecute you for armed trespass, which is a felony.

They probably would just ask you to leave. Which would suck after you spent all that money for a ticket.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't plan on being in an accident but I wear my seatbelt.
I don't plan on my house burning down or being blown away by a tornado but I have home owners insurance.
I don't plan on having a fire but I keep a fire extinguisher.

Just like I don't PLAN on ever being attacked, but I want to be prepared just like I am for everything else.

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD at night is asking for trouble. Hell even wearing headphones you had better be aware of your surroundings. I always look around when I am walking.
I always carry my .45 when detecting if I'm not going in surf past knee deep, not to protect any rings, but rather to protect myself and my equipment. I knew a man who was mugged at Daytona Beach at dusk while walking back to his car, he fought them off using his scoop but got a concussion from being hit in head.

Someone posted on here in south florida they were robbed at beach at night while detecting, they stole his wallet, jewelry and his detector as well....

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Disney 2 Years ago. I had my American Arms 22 5 Shot on me. They never knew. Many places have a no Firearm Rule. Some I obey and most I don't. I would rather go to Jail even if I protected a loved one.
Disney? They have a no firearms policy, and they search everybody. Better not get caught on Disney property with a firearm, or they could prosecute you for armed trespass, which is a felony.

They probably would just ask you to leave. Which would suck after you spent all that money for a ticket.

Last edited:

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there that much Gold in VB that one needs to carry a gun? .....well maybe some of the beach's in Jersey and NY..I would be more worried about my detector

Not a matter of how much gold, but there is another 'element' to be considered.

VA beach is combat!

sent from an anus from an asus

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wondering how the news anchor knew he had a glock? What was he doing to allow people to see his firearm?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Are certain states easier to get them in? I live in Calif. I hear they're near impossible to get.

In OC they are issuing CCW permits.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Disney 2 Years ago. I had my American Arms 22 5 Shot on me. They never knew. Many places have a no Firearm Rule. Some I obey and most I don't. I would rather go to Jail even if I protected a loved one.

In Florida "no guns" signs on businesses carry no legal weight as long as you leave business if ordered to do so.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I believe that just got overturned recently in OC, Calif. I'm very pro gun, but want to carry legally.
Ex Marine and a very good shot. I would love to be prepared just in case of terrorist threat while out and about.
What rationale is needed for approval of a CCW in sunny CA?

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, the day I feel that I have to carry a gun to the beach will be a very sad day. No offense but I think you all sound a little irrational

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS IS WHAT I CARRY

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry my .45 when detecting if I'm not going in surf past knee deep, not to protect any rings, but rather to protect myself and my equipment. I knew a man who was mugged at Daytona Beach at dusk while walking back to his car, he fought them off using his scoop but got a concussion from being hit in head.

Someone posted on here in south florida they were robbed at beach at night while detecting, they stole his wallet, jewelry and his detector as well....

I had a "scare" at that beach during the very wee hours of the morning. I noticed a figure off in the shadows who seemed to be following me down the beach. I was at the waterline and he was up at the dune line. I decided to walk briskly down the beach into a darker area where there were no lights blinding me. I walked out into the surf and stood at attention where I could see anyone trying to approach me. It was an eire feeling since it was 2-3 hour before daylight and not packing any heat.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a "scare" at that beach during the very wee hours of the morning. I noticed a figure off in the shadows who seemed to be following me down the beach. I was at the waterline and he was up at the dune line. I decided to walk briskly down the beach into a darker area where there were no lights blinding me. I walked out into the surf and stood at attention where I could see anyone trying to approach me. It was an eire feeling since it was 2-3 hour before daylight and not packing any heat.
I had same issue late one night with 3 men following me, I did same thing, retreated into the water waist deep till they gave up, I have been armed ever since then....

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS IS WHAT I CARRY

civilwar.gif
You tryin' to start sumpthin' Yankee?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, the day I feel that I have to carry a gun to the beach will be a very sad day. No offense but I think you all sound a little irrational

It's not about carrying "at the beach". And thats the great thing about America, you are free to be a victim of violence if you choose.

But I'm curious, did you wear your seatbelt last time you drove?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread