why am I finding so much fulgurite with my pottery and percussion flakes?

blueracer

Aug 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, so this is just from today. the top row is all fulgurite, and it is mixed in with the flakes, which are the second full row. the single object in the middle is pottery. Only piece found today. So two questions
1. Why is there such an abundance of fulgurite in the same area as the flakes and pottery shards? was it collected for some reason? or just a coincidence?
2. the piece of chert on the far left apears to be heat treated, but was foud at a higher elevation than all the red flakes. I never find the red flakes mixed in with that type of chert. the red flakes are mixed with the fulgurite but about 6-10 foot lower than the piece of chert on far left....but the area has been disturbed by machinery. any way to tell which may be older? stuff 008.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont know. Maybe because they are of the same weight and if in a wash like materials flow together? I am sure ancient man appreciated the lightning struck soil but not sure if they had a use for it.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Two sites I remember finding a lot more than usual fulgurites. Both were on high ground........ even though one site was also on the edge of a sinkhole, but it was high ground compared to the rest of the area. Nice finds!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
If you are on a high spot I can see multiple lightning strikes over tens of thousands of years creating an abundance of fulgurites. The different colored chert may be a result of the high temperatures produced. Interesting observation on your part.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
..and a "high spot" was also a favorite place for indians to sit a spell and flake tools....you can see in every direction while you sit....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread