WHY ARE THERE SO MANY 25 CENT QUARTERS IN THE WET SAND AFTER A STORM ?

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello to all the diggers out there. I live on the west, coast Santa Barbara. The last 2 months we have had a lot of rain storms , high tides. and up to 5 ft beach cuts. It seems when I go out detecting I hit pockets of green coins most of them are quarters. one after another. Why is that? Or is that normal after a storm. Thanks Jose.

Upvote 0

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heavier items tend to stay put, lighter items get washed away. After the sand was washed away, the quarters stayed and the lighter dimes and pennies tend to go with the sand. Sometimes it's the other way around, the heavier items will stay in the wash while the lighter items get thrown up onto the beach.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus it's Washington Quarter breeding season. Same time each year.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
I think quarters are surfers and heavy wave action provides the means for them to surf to the back beach, where they stay...until we discover them. In the water, greenies and gold = they hang-out together.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing in South OC. I guess I'd rather find quarters than pennies but where are the rings?
I suspect many before me discriminated out the coins and got em...

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing in South OC. I guess I'd rather find quarters than pennies but where are the rings?

Quarter are the last thing I'm going to discriminate out. How else am I going to pay for parking without that clad!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of those quarters are simply being pushed onto the beach from the outer bars, the backwash will generally drag the lighter items back into the sea and bury them all over again while the quarters will get deposited and scattered on the wet sand.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed on the Delaware and Maryland beaches after the winter storms are ending, that the coins tend to congregate also. However, the 18th century coins are stand-offish and don't tend to hang out with the newer stuff. I once mistook a clad dime for a very old coin as the saltwater had reduced it to 2/3 of it's original size.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can only hope other hunters are discriminating coins out, gonna leave a lot of gold for the next guy. Gold is mixed with other alloys, such as copper, nickel, etc. When a hunter attempts to discriminate coins out of the loop then in essence he's also discriminating these mixed alloys out as well, and gold, and here's why. Gold can come in 9k, 10, 14, 18k, and so on and so on, anything under 14k holding more then 50% of these other alloys, 10k per example is only .385 gold, the other 615% being other metals that are common to coins. So let's hope hunters discriminate coins out of the loop, even pennies, as there is "a lot" of lost gold out there with a high copper content. The relationship between gold and "modern quarters" is an old wise tale, a myth, something a lot of hunters have simply talked themselves into believing. "Silver quarters" perhaps, but modern quarters, it's just not so.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins have "a lot" of surface area compared to their actual weight, as a result they can be more easily tumbled and made to plane in the surf/currents. But gold rings have little surface area and they are very dense, which makes them more difficult for the surf/currents to move. If you want to see this for yourself simply put some coins and a few gold rings on a concrete driveway and start applying some gradual but even water pressure towards them, see what happens. :icon_thumright: Only the very lightest of those gold rings will move with the coins.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I'll dig quarters all day if it's my second option to gold. Just think, (insert Capt. Obvious here) a quarter is 25 penny digs.... Now that's MATH!!!

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll dig quarters all day if it's my second option to gold. Just think, (insert Capt. Obvious here) a quarter is 25 penny digs.... Now that's MATH!!!

Showoff.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like soft sand that has either come in from the ocean but more likely washed out of the dry sand. When your digging in the harder sand you should be getting some lead and deep iron signals also.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY 25 CENT QUARTERS IN THE WET SAND AFTER A STORM ?

Cause they don't make em in any other denomination!:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions