why cant I find nickles?

P

PrizmIV

Well, one nickles arnt as common as people think, and if you disc. anything besides iron alot of times you will block out nickles because there content makes them register as trash alot and its storming here so I have to get off the computer!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will be the least amount of coins you find generally,

plus,

you may be using too much discrimination to find them.

HH

Lonewolfe

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Lonewolfe is right (as he often is!)...
I've been detecting for a long six months now ;D and I only found my first buried nickle last week! I was relying on using the 'coin' range on my detector and I the discrimination wasn't set low enough allow the nickles to register. Since I made that switch? I've found 4 more in the last two trips out...
Ruth

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi , Ditto what LW said. My old BH had a hard time with nickels, but my ACE250 does fine. You will generally find more of everything else than nickels. Try some playgrounds and parks, that's usually your best shot at getting them.

Good lucK
HH
Greg

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Discrimination settings is a major issue. Best method to advise to all MDer's is to for you or someone else to plant various denominations along with some junk (pull tabs, bottle caps, etc) at various depths then try and find the coins. One important thing to remember. Listen to your detector each coin has a distinctive sound listen for that sound and keep it stored in the memory bank. Keep using the test bed over and over again until you can close your eyes and distinguish between the different sounds.
Good luck and keep on detecting.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Search in the foil range. Let your detector tell you what may be under there instead of you trying to manually adjust DISC to what you would prefer to dig. Nickels tend to hit pretty accurately as consistent nickel hits, but so do a lot of pull tabs and shotgun brass so you will dig a lot of junk.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
I made a similar post a while back....as I've seen several do since. It wasn't my detector....they just weren't there. Then all of the sudden I started hitting them quite often, it was just the areas I hunted. Although they do give a softer signal on mine. Dan

resurector

Mar 11, 2005
Hills near Eureka,Ca
Swat--
The reasons you aren't diggin nics is(well on my Tesoro Bandito anyway) they are in the same discrimination range as 14kt rings(small to medium in size-a large gold ring is different)wadded foil,some lead,and just below pulltabs. The other posters were correct in that they are the least dug coin--why??I got notta clue,maybe whores in Hell cost the Devil 5c!! Anyway to find nickles and 14k rings , as you increase discrimination look for a very sharp null (where the sound cuts off). Tabs,foil,and the like will be broken or scratchy right at the end.A nic or 14k will be there one minute, the next increase(in descrim) its gone.If you ain't findin nickles your passin up 14k rings.Plant a test garden with nics,foil,14k ring and a tab.Learn the slight differences then nics will start showin and so will your rings. There are variables to this, machine makes,soil moisture,close to trash, and of course if theres no nickles or 14k where your huntin....... it happens!!!LOL-----------resurector
BTW-check out my newest post-- I got both 5c & 14kt

R

rvbvetter

A nickle falls in the range of pull tabs. If you have numbers on your meter, see what numbers show over a pull tab. Say a pull tab shows at 28 to 30 on your detector. Then a nickle should register aprox. 22 to 26. Nickles will generally register a little lower than pull tabs. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread