Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. so I'll entertain the grass clippings and decomposition theory but I have a few problems with that. Most grass areas we search have had the clippings removed by the lawnmower or raked up.
Now explain to me why I've found thousands of older artifacts fairly shallow in the bush? Sorry, Americans prefer woods. Forest, whatever.
In fact, I've searched oak forests and couldn't find anything beyond 4 inches deep maximum! No, I use a deep seeking machine, there just wasn't anything beyond that depth. I've found 200+ year old metal artifacts right near the surface in the woods many times.
I think a bush will trump your grass clippings any day with all the leaf mold, rotting logs, and grass/weeds. Sure tree roots account for some cases but that should work in the opposite direction as well by pushing objects down. I rarely find anything deep in the woods unless it's the treeline along a plowed field, where topsoil has blown in and deposited over the years.
I know oak trees will only grow on higher ground and out here in flood country, that makes a difference but I just can't buy your grass clipping theory as forests create MORE organic debris and on average items are much shallower.
Now, searching a flood plain is a whole different ball game! Yes, silt has deposited over the years burying items deep. There were stories during the Great Depression where the drought made fields so dry and big winds would come in and lift all the topsoil off and it would travel for sometimes miles elsewhere. Many variables I'm sure.
Heavy gold will be deeper at beaches, lakes, surf, etc. It sinks faster with wave action.
Of course here in winterland the ground shifts all the time.
In plowed fields things will be on the surface but they also will sink below the plow zone. Some parks may have been cultivated years before they were parks.
Hmmn, now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing many earthworms in the bush but a ton of them in grassy park areas. :dontknow:
Do they sink or not........ that is the question.
Cheers,
Dave.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bev, This is the official coin coverer of the field. lol Frank

Attachments

• Bull.jpg
    Bull.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 83

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy, your forest issues fit PERFECTLY into the grass theory. Remember, the roots are a major part of that concept. Forest floors don't have the aggressive grass growth of parks and yards. The plants there are often thinner and more sparsely grown. The leaf litter blows away with the wind too.

Parks, yards, and other turf grass areas have coins move quite rapidly into the 6 inch range. Woodlands, deserts often have very shallow items. Beaches are a completely seperate concept, you are talking about liquid environs with constantly shifting sands allowing items to SINK. If your local park was frequently liquified I would agree that coins sink there too.

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were an awful lot of people from the past we need to thank for our hobby. They had enough time on their hands and money to spend it digging holes and placing coins so we could come up a hundred and fifty years later to dig them up. It's also amazing how the CW soldiers had time and the presence of mind to do the same thing with their buttons and buckles.

I'd encourage anyone to come into the south where many homes are built not on solid foundations, but on piers of bricks supporting it a foot or so above ground...everyone of them has clear evidence of sinking. Not to mention, check out the sidewalks in old, small towns...they're all very uneven. Granted, some are where tree roots have displace them, but others haven't had a tree near them since they were installed.

Look at how far gold will settle over time. Gravity may be a weak force, but the fact remains the denser material will settle lower than the lighter material. Whether in the case of oil and water....the oil rises to the top, or the water settles to the bottom, the water being heavier/more dense will be on the bottom.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddy, your forest issues fit PERFECTLY into the grass theory. Remember, the roots are a major part of that concept. Forest floors don't have the aggressive grass growth of parks and yards. The plants there are often thinner and more sparsely grown. The leaf litter blows away with the wind too.

Parks, yards, and other turf grass areas have coins move quite rapidly into the 6 inch range. Woodlands, deserts often have very shallow items. Beaches are a completely seperate concept, you are talking about liquid environs with constantly shifting sands allowing items to SINK. If your local park was frequently liquified I would agree that coins sink there too.

I agree that grass would have a thicker, more aggressive root system that could easily push an item only recently lost down at a faster rate. I don't know what kind of grass you have over there but in my experience, the root system only extends up to 4 inches max. Beyond the root system there should be very little causing that item to sink deeper and yet it isn't uncommon to find a 1920's coin at 8 inches deep. I wonder if weeds are the culprits as dandelion roots can be very deep.
Liquid could be a factor when heavy rains loosen the soil and items could sink. The type of item is a factor also. A coin on edge is more likely to sink as opposed as to it laying flat. A round musket shot should sink deeper compared to a lead baggage tag.
I'm on the fence. If there's anything I learned the most from metal detecting, it would be that there's more variables than one would think!

strateloss

Aug 21, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, E-TRAC, ProFind25, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this not a good time to ask why good signals seem to found underneath a pile of animal poop? Maybe it's connected. This happens to me all the time! :dontknow:

lol..I thought this only happens to me...my most recent was bear ****...lol

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The simplest explanation is that the earth is not static. Some areas have very frequent changes...such as the beach or when a volcano goes off. Other areas change much more slowly, but they do change over time. Some of those changes will bring objects to the surface and others will cause them to sink lower.

Plus I suspect earth worms push things up and down.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How to bury coins....:laughing7:

SS

Attachments