Why do I find more Gold than Silver? And a picture of some of my Poke.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
My machine responds fairly well on silver but it doesn’t go very deep. I do dig coins at 7-8” and some times deeper, but not often, mostly 5” or less. Although it works great on scraps I still don’t have gobs of silver. The GB-2 rated at 72Hz is not a deep diving machine anyway.
Why is it that I find much less silver than Gold? Is it because silver can be found with a machine that can decimate out most other metals and concentrate on silver only/mainly?

I wanted to post part of my poke for the record today. I’ll post the rest next week.

Attachments

• Some of My Gold Poke.JPG
    Some of My Gold Poke.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ant said:
My machine responds fairly well on silver but it doesn’t go very deep. I do dig coins at 7-8” and some times deeper, but not often, mostly 5” or less. Although it works great on scraps I still don’t have gobs of silver. The GB-2 rated at 72Hz is not a deep diving machine anyway.
Why is it that I find much less silver than Gold? Is it because silver can be found with a machine that can decimate out most other metals and concentrate on silver only/mainly?

I wanted to post part of my poke for the record today. I’ll post the rest next week.

Hey Ant,

Nice poke! 8) I'd sacrifice my right nut to have a poke like that! :o

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Ant. Congrats on them. Are you finding these in the same type of sites?

Burdie

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't kept up with your posts that much but from the picture here I'd say you work mostly beaches and water.

As for the depth you mention, most finds on land are shallow. I've dug relics that date to the early 1600's and they were less than 3 inches deep. My friend digs Copper Culture relics that date to 4,000 B.C. and they're usually less than 9 inches deep with most running about 5 inches deep. Think of that, after 3 to 6,000 years there only 5 inches deep!

My friends in the UK dig ancient coins at 12 inches or more in fields that have been plowed many times. In "drop" areas with little erosion and no plowing they can sometimes be eye-balled and picked off the ground.

I'm finding deep stuff now mainly because my knee is screwed-up so I'm forced to hunt house yards (back-fill from basements), sidewalks (erosion and dirt from winter plowings), vacant lots, parks (most have been leveled many times), etc. These areas are well-known for dirt-fillings for various reasons and thus coins at 6 to 14+ inches.

So the 5 inch depth is just normal non-exaggerated real world depth for non-landfill areas. Most of my undisturbed ghost town woodland and wild sites produce coins and relics at 1 to 5 inches with most less than 3 inches deep. I know of sites with relics 130 years old you can dig with the heel of your boot.

I've said this for the last 40 years and I still believe that most of the super deep land finds that aren't exaggerations are the result of trash pits (buried by accident) or were purposely buried by children while playing in the back yard.

As for the greater number of gold jewelry over silver, gold is far more popular thus more of it is out there at heavily used richer beaches. Gold-filled jewelry can be reasonably priced and is always IN. Silver jewelry comes and goes out of style.

Great finds and looks like you've got an affluent beach to hunt.

Badger

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Thanks

On California beaches my machine doesn't work in wet sand. This is because of the high magnetic black sand content (telluride, sulfides and salt). The GB-2 won’t balance on beaches like this. 80% of my gold finds have been found on playgrounds and the rest in other places.

The reason I purchased the GB-2 was to assist me in my dry-washing operation. But like most dry-washing operations, they don’t last very long.

At this point I remembered that the Fisher GB-2 video stated that as long as one doesn’t mind digging a little trash, the GB-2 was just as good at finding coins and relics. So I decided to try my luck in the jungle.

I found the machine had a long learning curve, about 8 mounts to get it down. Sometimes trying something different from the everyday examples we experience and use will produce desirable results.

I still have most of my better finds in the hole, waiting to be posted next week. I also wanted to mention that I’ve only been hunting on weekends for about 2 years.

Thanks for posting you knowledge and experience on this subject Michigan Badger.

HH

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE DESIGN OF THE GOLD BUG OR ANY GOLD MACHINE IS TO BE SUPER SENSATIVE
TO SMALL PEACES OF GOLD, WHICH OFTEN ARE UNDETECTABLE TO OTHER MACHINES, EVEN HIGH DOLLAR MACHINES.
THIS MAKES IT SUPER SENSATIVE, AND WILL GIVE YOU THE EDGE FOR GOLD, BUT WILL
ALSO GIVE TONS OF SMALL FRAGMENT ALUMINUM, DEPENDING WHERE YOUR HUNTING.
FINE GOLD CHAINS, BROKEN GOLD RINGS, ( GOLD RINGS WITH A SPLIT AND OPEN BAND) SMALL POST EARINGS OR GOLD STUD TYPE EARINGS, ARE ALL THINGS THAT
BASIC STANDARD MACHINES WILL NOT DETECT, BUT YOURS MIGHT.
ALTHOUGH PERSONALLY DIGGING SO MUCH EXCESS TRASH AND BITS OF ALUMINUM
FOR ME MIGHT BE TOO MUCH, IN CERTAIN AREAS LIKE SANDY PLAYGROUNDS OR BARK
PLAY AREAS WOULD BE EASY AND YOU MIGHT GET SOME SMALL GOLD OTHER CAN NOT
GET.
YOUR FINDS ARE NICE, I BELIEVE ANYONE WOULD HAVE "PICKED UP" A SIGNAL ON THE
LARGE BRACELETS, BUT THE SMALLER ONES AMAZINGLY ENOUGH, POSSIBLY NOT.
(I HAD A TOP DOLLAR MACHINE THAT IN BEACH MODE WOULD NOT)
AS FOR THE WET SALT BEACHES, YOU WILL HAVE TO MUCH TROUBLE BECAUSE THE
MINARALAZATION OF THE WET SAND "LOOKS" LIKE A TARGET TO THIS MACHINE...
I HAD THE SAME AFFECT WITH A TESSORO LOBO...
GOOD LUCK.
RICHARD

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ant said:
Thanks

On California beaches my machine doesn't work in wet sand. This is because of the high magnetic black sand content (telluride, sulfides and salt). The GB-2 won’t balance on beaches like this. 80% of my gold finds have been found on playgrounds and the rest in other places.

The reason I purchased the GB-2 was to assist me in my dry-washing operation. But like most dry-washing operations, they don’t last very long.

At this point I remembered that the Fisher GB-2 video stated that as long as one doesn't’t mind digging a little trash, the GB-2 was just as good at finding coins and relics. So I decided to try my luck in the jungle.

I found the machine had a long learning curve, about 8 mounts to get it down. Sometimes trying something different from the everyday examples we experience and use will produce desirable results.

I still have most of my better finds in the hole, waiting to be posted next week. I also wanted to mention that I’ve only been hunting on weekends for about 2 years.

Thanks for posting you knowledge and experience on this subject Michigan Badger.

HH

These are outstanding finds for playgrounds but I know this is possible if one hunts in or near affluent areas.

I used to be big into Fisher detectors but then I've used almost everything at one time or another. I sometimes wish I had all the money back I've spent on detectors over the last 39-40 years.

I'll pass this on to you here and maybe it will help you as far as land/beach hunting goes. Sometime just try a Nautilus IIB. I know most TN members here totally ignore this brand but do it even if you have to borrow one and give it a chance to prove itself.

The Naughty as we call it, has special settings for salt water beaches and my friends who hunt the beach say it works great. The Naut with 15 inch coil should hit on gold rings 12 to 17 inches deep depending on size. But up here in northern Michigan we don't hunt many salt beaches ;D

I've mentioned the Nautilus a few times here in posts and several TreasureNet members either have, or soon will, purchase Nautilus machines as a result of my posts. One of them recently sent me a PM thanking me personally for telling the truth about this brand. He just loves his new Nautilus and is finding the stuff the others missed.

This machine may be just what you need, maybe not. You never know until you try. I know I've never seen anything even remotely close to it for depth and more importantly, target notification. Not only does the Naut have no problem matching or beating all the others in depth, it's dual tone system is absolutely the only way to go. With each target you know:
1) depth of target (coins and other small non-ferrous)
2) type of metal
3) size of target
4) conductivity of target
5) relationship of target to nearby trash

No other machine made even comes close.

Best to you.

Badger

Here's something I just hijacked off the Nautilus Forum site which is typical of the response from those new to Nautilus:

"I picked my IIB up at the Nautilus shop in Coats, NC yesterday while I was in the area. Nice little setup they have there, and wonderful people. While I was there I had one of the fellows show me how to run it. I had the 8" coil on there and once he set it up, he started showing me how the machine reacted to different objects. When he got to the button, it was beeping loud and clear at 15-16" WOW!"

Extra Note: I just received another message from another TreasureNet member who lives in Canada. He likes his new Nautilus IIB and he's just getting started. In his first 20 minutes he found a ca. 1830 musket ball!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread