Why do people do this?

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by a branch this morning that I've never been to before and asked for halves. The teller's eyes lit up and she said she had lots, $700 or so. I took that as a sign of a dump but tried a $100 sample because you never know. As expected, they were total skunks.

The thing that got me was that the dumper bothered to re-roll hundreds of halves in new wrappers. There are plenty of coin machines in my city if you look around a little, including a great one just down the street from this bank. Even if you have to re-roll, wouldn't you just pop the coins out of one end of a MWR and then slide them back in (like all other dumped rolls I've found)? This hobby is hard enough without a lot of rolling, but to each his own. I also wonder how happy a bank is taking in hundreds of rolled coins in at a time. Pic of dumped roll below.

Attachments

• image-3291232328.jpg
    image-3291232328.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 0

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats dumb, I dont know of a bank that does NOT have a machine around the DMV

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have purchased them all. See my post about picking up $500.00 even in CWR just like yours.
First $100.00 was nothing, ended up with five solid rolls of 40% and 13 40% from the other rolls.

Always buy them all!

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like how my grandmother would wrap coins and she would probably put all of the coins that looked the same in the same rolls. You might have missed out on some solid rolls and a huge score of AG.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes your pick-up banks are the only banks with coin machines, so you have to reroll to dump at your dump banks. I use new wrappers too, because I hate getting already searched MWRs in sealed Brinks box that come in when I order "new" boxes.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess there's no harm in buying the rest and taking them down the street to dump if they are skunks, although I don't dump more than $200 - $300 at any one time. I'll probably buy them over time. I don't think they are going anywhere, given the location of the branch.

I do think some folks miss 40%'s, but I would think this happens more with the "general public" than someone who goes to the trouble to buy a box or more of halves.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This hobby is hard enough without a lot of rolling, but to each his own. I also wonder how happy a bank is taking in hundreds of rolled coins in at a time. Pic of dumped roll below.

I have a branch that I dump 8 boxes a week at, they are happy, as long as I keep bringing them 2 dozen Dunkin Donuts in every time I dump, they know that every week on that same day they are getting breakfast and are happy to see me walk in with it. Granted, this took me a year to work up too though. HH, Maverick

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twice this month I purchase a bunch of "dumped" halves to find silver mixed in to the 3-4 rolls that were added to the dumps. Dumpers rarely buy from their dump banks - opportunity!

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could just take a miniature scale with you to the banks and if a roll is over 227 grams, it probably has silver (or $10.50 in clad), so buy it. If it's 215 grams don't buy it since it has $9.50 clad, most likely. A solid roll of 90% should be over 250 grams.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idlove to see this one play out. Do you have any half dollars. Teller-yes 2 roll. You-hold on let me weigh them. Teller-da fuk

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could just take a miniature scale with you to the banks and if a roll is over 227 grams, it probably has silver (or $10.50 in clad), so buy it. If it's 215 grams don't buy it since it has $9.50 clad, most likely. A solid roll of 90% should be over 250 grams.

This might also get you thrown out of a bank and/or have the cops/mental hospital called on you!

jamesg13

Jan 7, 2013
The Outskirts
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its still thinking outside the box, we all need new ideas on how to get over.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Dumping rolled halves all over town is a strategy some CRH'ers employ to discourage other hunters. Part of the game and unfortunately it will often just piss off the bank tellers who do communicate between branches. If it happens enough times you will find the "CRH'ers not welcome" sign at some of the banks in your area. There are ways to deal with this...and it is all part of the game.:goldtrophy:

Maine_Jim

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it. You are complaining because somebody rolled their halves?

No, not complaining at all. As a matter of fact, I went to a branch close to my office yesterday that I knew had dumped rolls based on what the tellers told me about them, but I cleaned them out anyway in order to (i) make sure they were skunks (they were) and (ii) avoid asking the confusing question of "do you have any halves, other than those you told me about?". This branch looks out for halves for me, so I wanted to keep it simple and be the guy who takes all they have.

As for my original post, I wasn't complaining about people dumping (all part of the hobby) but was wondering why someone would (1) re-reroll at all when there are so many coin machines in this area and (2) use new wrappers instead of just unrolling one end of the MWR the coins came in and sliding them back in (just like the dumped rolls I referred to in the paragraph above this).

When I started I used to spread around some re-rerolled dumps, but I quickly set up dump banks that have coin machines. Someone said that, even if coin machines are available, your pickup banks might be the ones with coin machines and your dump bank may be the ones without coin machines. I sort of get that, but again, in this area, I have had no trouble setting up pick up banks and there are enough of them that I can use the banks with machines as my dump banks. If I can do that I assume a lot of CRHers around here can do the same. Life's too short to re-roll unless you absolutely have to.

If, for some reason, I was forced to re-roll my dumps, I would just use the MWRs the coins came in. It's a small point, but why bother buying my own paper rolls? I know folks hate to see an obvious re-rolled dump, but a dump is a dump and, based on what folks on this forum have said, folks will search them anyway.

HH

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumping rolled halves all over town is a strategy some CRH'ers employ to discourage other hunters. Part of the game and unfortunately it will often just piss off the bank tellers who do communicate between branches. If it happens enough times you will find the "CRH'ers not welcome" sign at some of the banks in your area. There are ways to deal with this...and it is all part of the game.:goldtrophy:

Maine_Jim

I never understood that as a strategy, I figured people will get discouraged wayyyy quicker if they find 0 halves at all there banks. re-rolled skunks seems like a carrot on a stick

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely buy the rest of those rolls ASAP. Looking at the one that you put up there, the tellers are not going through them. That means that bank does not have a sniper. If there is something good in there, it's still there.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Idlove to see this one play out. Do you have any half dollars. Teller-yes 2 roll. You-hold on let me weigh them. Teller-da fuk

LOL

Yesterday I asked at my new bank (where I keep my money from Garage sale sales). They said, "YES! We have one!" I was taking out my garage sale money for the week, and I do not like carrying around change (except small dollar coins to buy dollar items). I asked if I could see it. They were happy to dig through the vault in search of that illusive four bits. Finally, they find it, nice shiny new 2001 d.

"Thanks, I have that one."

"OK, Back to the vault with you." and away they went...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions