Why do people do this?

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by a branch this morning that I've never been to before and asked for halves. The teller's eyes lit up and she said she had lots, $700 or so. I took that as a sign of a dump but tried a $100 sample because you never know. As expected, they were total skunks.

The thing that got me was that the dumper bothered to re-roll hundreds of halves in new wrappers. There are plenty of coin machines in my city if you look around a little, including a great one just down the street from this bank. Even if you have to re-roll, wouldn't you just pop the coins out of one end of a MWR and then slide them back in (like all other dumped rolls I've found)? This hobby is hard enough without a lot of rolling, but to each his own. I also wonder how happy a bank is taking in hundreds of rolled coins in at a time. Pic of dumped roll below.

Attachments

• image-3291232328.jpg
    image-3291232328.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuxSilvers

Greenie
Dec 10, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I re-roll all my halves because the banks around me charge to use the coin counter.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are really two main reasons why somebody would not only rewrap, but also use the "new" wrappers..

1. The person is most likely searching high volume and can't just depend on the counters in the area.
2. If you use different wrappers, there are better odds that the halves will be dumped back into the machines and not just repackaged and sent back out.. While I know certain people have gotten repackaged dumps in brown wrappers too, it seems more common if someone turns the rolls in with the original wraps..

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Well guess what! My bank just started to do just that! They removed the coin machine because of all the dumps and this is their way to put a stop to large amounts being brought in. They also make the tellers COUNT it before they bag it because of tokens and other stuff being in the dumps! Coming to a neighborhood near you soon!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
You could just take a miniature scale with you to the banks and if a roll is over 227 grams, it probably has silver (or $10.50 in clad), so buy it. If it's 215 grams don't buy it since it has $9.50 clad, most likely. A solid roll of 90% should be over 250 grams.

Bad idea. A 215 gram roll could contain silver still. Also, it would look wierd to weigh rolls inside a bank. Just like you wouldn't look at the edges and say "I only want these" and give back the clads, you wouldn't want to reject rolls either.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL

Yesterday I asked at my new bank (where I keep my money from Garage sale sales). They said, "YES! We have one!" I was taking out my garage sale money for the week, and I do not like carrying around change (except small dollar coins to buy dollar items). I asked if I could see it. They were happy to dig through the vault in search of that illusive four bits. Finally, they find it, nice shiny new 2001 d.

"Thanks, I have that one."

"OK, Back to the vault with you." and away they went...

Again it is a bad idea. Take it off their hands. It takes little to add one more half to your dump, and it will make the tellers happy. Also, they may think you take the "weird stuff," and they will save all halves for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread