Why do people dread about an inspection sticker [halves]?

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
from what little ive gathered, im assuming the head honcho coin guys (brinks, loomis, dunbar, garda) are going through the boxes looking for silver pulling what they find then stamping the box stating it was inspected and free of silver.

silvers gone up and they somewhat have reason to spend the time looking for thyself

i dont work for any of the company's, but that seems to be the general consensus that stamped boxes are skunk boxes and people are putting 2 and 2 together.

this has been what ive gathered from reading other peoples post and honestly i dont know %100 for myself yet.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, strings doesn't do it. I hear Ben Bernanke himself goes through each box and checks for silver. The ones that pass get a stamp.

In seriousness, every single halves box that has the date and inspection codes stamped on it has been a skunk for me. Im not talking about the 4 digit code, this one is different. Others are experiencing the same.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There hasn't been confirmation that it means the box was searched for silver. More than likely it means the box wasn't tampered with and is still sealed.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found silver in stamped boxes like that. I don't think it's any different.

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
If they were searched then the coins would have to be rewrapped and put back in the box. Or they were searched prior to wrapping.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The way I've understood it, is that boxes coming from the local rolling facilities are inspected (and stamped), for quality control. These boxes are composed of heavily-search coins.
Boxes coming from the fed are unstamped, previously unsearched, therefore containing more silver.

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well recently while CRH in a different area I was getting stamped loomis boxes from 20 apr 2012. Most boxes were a skunk but a few had silver. Couple weeks later I started to get some that we're stamPed in July of 2012 which these boxes averaged about 5 40% per box. I think it is just a stamp saying all rolls are in there and it has been checked just like most things we buy with the checked by stickers.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No, strings doesn't do it. I hear Ben Bernanke himself goes through each box and checks for silver. The ones that pass get a stamp.

In seriousness, every single halves box that has the date and inspection codes stamped on it has been a skunk for me. Im not talking about the 4 digit code, this one is different. Others are experiencing the same.

I never got a single silver from a stamped box, either.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks for chiming in with reports of silver in the stamped boxes. I suspect my local processing facility is boxing a large batch of my dumps.

smitty58d

Feb 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When ever I would get a box that said 20 apr 2012 I was disappointed from the get go. Wish I could do timzims volume a week. Could have gotten them all searched in one week. I hate walking out of the bank already knowing the results.

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
95% of the inspected boxes have been skunk for me. But one time there was a lone 40 and another time there was a walker. About 2 months ago all 6 inspected boxes were loaded. Weird...

Adamkir

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got a skunk "stamped" N. F. String wrapped box of Dimes. Skunks are generally the exception in my experience. So getting this stamped one and being skunk makes me wonder. Lol

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 boxes for me this week so far, all skunk, and none have stamps. I am on about 40 box skunk streak, mixed boxes with stamps and without.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to agree with Smitty's assessment. I got a stamped box this week with 5 keepers. All the boxes I have gotten have been stamped. I am of the impression that it is just a stamp saying that they have been checked for the proper number of rolls in the box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions