Why Do Tellers Lie To Your Face?

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
So I decided to hit a few banks up for half dollars. One bank I went to have $110 in customer wrapped halfs, they where all skunked. So I went to a few other banks asking for half dollars, and the tellers told me to my face they had no half dollars, and when you looked at there tray they all had a few loose half dollars. Why do tellers have to do this crap? All I want is to trade my bills for coins? Does this happen to anyone else? Or is it just in the area Im at?

Upvote 0

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I too am sick of it. I will say"What about those?" if they say they are keeping them and I have an account there, I will say " so you are refusing to sell me those?" If they say yes I will ask for their name and that will usually get them. I have no problem with them picking, but they better pick them and put them out of sight. If they leave them in the tray they are just lazy and rude.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the same reasons anyone else does. Ever met someone who put you off instantly and you wouldn't give them the time of day?
All you can do is be polite and engaging. Some here seem to think the tellers work for them. They probably pick up on that pretty quick. I bet it gets old for them.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Teller lie just like regular people lie. Unfortunately. People feel like they need to lie out of personal self-interest whether they want the coins for themselves or they don't want to deal with you or coins. Maybe they filled out paper work already about what they have and are closing up and don't want to change anything. Shame that people are like that but it's been around since the beginning of man and will be in the future.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
If I have a bank account with them then they do work for me. The money they make off my account pays their paycheck. To put it into non banking terms..What if you grab a shirt at the store and just before you get it scanned the cashier takes it and says I am gonna buy this one cause I like the way it looks, you'll have to get another one. What would you do?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
kd5txx said:
If I have a bank account with them then they do work for me. The money they make off my account pays their paycheck. To put it into non banking terms..What if you grab a shirt at the store and just before you get it scanned the cashier takes it and says I am gonna buy this one cause I like the way it looks, you'll have to get another one. What would you do?

I agree.. if they want the coins or Tshirt for themselves.. put it away where customers can't see it and get it after work.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kd5txx said:

I disagree. Bank tellers, even if you have an account with their bank, do not work for you. They work for the people that you allow to hold on to your money. While the money that bank makes off your deposit(s) does indeed contribute to their salaries, that in no way makes them "your" employees. I contend that if you cannot fire them, give them a day off, or otherwise tell them what to do, then they in no way whatsoever work for you. If simply contributing to their salaries makes you their boss, then I guess I have millions of employees all over the world working for me. I think I'll give that nice kid that bags my groceries 2 weeks off with pay. :laughing9:

Banks are not a retail store. Those coins you see in the tellers' trays are nothing even resembling shirts for sale in a clothing store. The trays are there for the convenience of the teller and for counting purposes. Technically the individual coins in those trays aren't "for sale" like the shirts on a clothing rack. Just because you may be able to see them, that in no way entitles you to purchase them.

I do agree that tellers should get any coins they wish to keep for themselves out of sight just to avoid confrontations...if they have the ability to do so. I know for a fact that some cannot do this. In some banks the policy is that tellers cannot remove any coins they wish to keep for themselves from their tray until their shift is over with a supervisor watching. Regardless, I believe that the teller should have first shot at any coins/notes that comes his/her way. "First come, first served" should apply here, and by default they were there first. "Taking" silver coins from a teller who wants them for his/herself would be no different than you being in line behind me in the bank, seeing me score some silver, then demanding that I relinquish them to you simply because you wanted them.

"Causing a fuss" may indeed score you a little silver that the teller didn't want to give up and that you otherwise wouldn't have gotten. However, it just makes CRHers look bad and is a horrible idea in my opinion. As a whole, CRHers are already not "cost effective" and a hassle to banks. They can shut us down anytime they wish. We should be appreciative of all the free services we receive. When we come across an uncooperative teller, we should just move on to the next bank. "Causing a fuss" could very well lead to changes in bank policies resulting in fewer CRH opportunities down the road...and thats never a good thing.

All just my opinion of course. Feel free to disagree.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
kd5txx said:

I disagree. Bank tellers, even if you have an account with their bank, do not work for you. They work for the people that you allow to hold on to your money. While the money that bank makes off your deposit(s) does indeed contribute to their salaries, that in no way makes them "your" employees. I contend that if you cannot fire them, give them a day off, or otherwise tell them what to do, then they in no way whatsoever work for you. If simply contributing to their salaries makes you their boss, then I guess I have millions of employees all over the world working for me. I think I'll give that nice kid that bags my groceries 2 weeks off with pay. :laughing9:

Banks are not a retail store. Those coins you see in the tellers' trays are nothing even resembling shirts for sale in a clothing store. The trays are there for the convenience of the teller and for counting purposes. Technically the individual coins in those trays aren't "for sale" like the shirts on a clothing rack. Just because you may be able to see them, that in no way entitles you to purchase them.

I do agree that tellers should get any coins they wish to keep for themselves out of sight just to avoid confrontations...if they have the ability to do so. I know for a fact that some cannot do this. In some banks the policy is that tellers cannot remove any coins they wish to keep for themselves from their tray until their shift is over with a supervisor watching. Regardless, I believe that the teller should have first shot at any coins/notes that comes his/her way. "First come, first served" should apply here, and by default they were there first. "Taking" silver coins from a teller who wants them for his/herself would be no different than you being in line behind me in the bank, seeing me score some silver, then demanding that I relinquish them to you simply because you wanted them.

"Causing a fuss" may indeed score you a little silver that the teller didn't want to give up and that you otherwise wouldn't have gotten. However, it just makes CRHers look bad and is a horrible idea in my opinion. As a whole, CRHers are already not "cost effective" and a hassle to banks. They can shut us down anytime they wish. We should be appreciative of all the free services we receive. When we come across an uncooperative teller, we should just move on to the next bank. "Causing a fuss" could very well lead to changes in bank policies resulting in fewer CRH opportunities down the road...and thats never a good thing.

All just my opinion of course. Feel free to disagree.

Good post Arkie.... :icon_thumright:

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be appreciative when they pry my cold, dead fingers off of my silver halves.... :headbang:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Happens all the time , some are so stupid they dont know what a half dollar is but most are holding them for someone else.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Chances are they are holding them for someone. While I do think they should keep them in their drawers or out of sight, it sure helps us whenever some of them save some silver out for us. A bit annoying if you aren't the one they are saving them for... But if you are the one they are saving them for :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
E

etaucher86

May 27, 2011
Chambersburg, PA
I would be more understanding if the tellers would just tell me there holding the coins for somone else. I dont want to step into someone elses crh area, and for those saying maybe it was the end of the day, it was and wasn't it was between 3:30-4:00pm an most of my banks close around 5:00-6:00pm. They had plenty of time to do there paperwork, no one will really know why the tellers lie, like I said if the tellers would be honest an just saying there holding them, then that would be better then to just lie.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
ArkieBassMan said:
kd5txx said:

I disagree.. there is an element of good customer service and lying to customers in my book isn't a part of that. You cannot fire them directly but you can definitely complain to management about you being lied to. Not the part about the teller keeping the coins but the lying part. So in this case, I would say that's it somewhere in the middle. You can't fire someone direct but you have influence.

In fact, I know of personally two tellers who got promoted because I wrote a positive note about their good customer service to management. They told me that although it wasn't the sole reason they got promoted but the note I wrote definitely helped. In fact.. I wrote on the letters in both cases that they deserve to be promoted. The same could go the other way around. If you are in a customer service oriented environment and if someone told management that you lied to them... would that get you promoted? More like a admonishment, demotion, or at worst termination.

There are good tellers and bad tellers in the world.. good and bad of anything really. Although, I would love to able to re-educate bad tellers and turn them into good tellers. It's simply not worth the time to do so. Sometimes it's just in their personality. Too many other coins to search rather spending time to complain.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
why make a fuss over a few half dollars!would it really make your day if you complained to the manager and got her fired,just over that.i had a similar situation last week.another branch that i buy halves from.i paid for my box and the teller said she had some loose halfs in her tray i looked over and i swear i saw one silver with seven other clad ones sitting there i said i have to run out to my car and get her the 4 dollars for them.when i came back she handed me 8 clad kennedys.yes i was flustered that she did that and i was going to say something to the manager about it because i was told by a different branch manager of this particular bank that the tellers cant skim from their till they would be fired.but every manager might be a little lax over policies.but i just figured oh well it was her lucky day.now she might have a connection with the bank president and then the next time i order a box they might say oh theres a charge for it now.some of the other banks have started charging me for boxes.but theres not much silver to be found anymore and paying $5 for a box just does'nt appeal to me.so if you dont like the service you get from a certain bank go to another one.but to me it makes no sense burning your bridges you may have to go back and use that bridge to cross again someday good luck and HH-nomad 11

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What true silver hunter here wouldn't pull silver out of the till if they saw it after a customer asked for all the halves in their drawer.... Tellers are busy working and I am sure there are some that are collectors as well, they may not have noticed silver till someone asks for all the quarters or halves in a drawer.

Personally I bet 90% of the silver hunters here would have done the same thing if they worked as tellers, even if they will not admit it, or deny they would ever do it.......

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
nomad 11 said:
why make a fuss over a few half dollars!would it really make your day if you complained to the manager and got her fired,just over that.i had a similar situation last week.another branch that i buy halves from.i paid for my box and the teller said she had some loose halfs in her tray i looked over and i swear i saw one silver with seven other clad ones sitting there i said i have to run out to my car and get her the 4 dollars for them.when i came back she handed me 8 clad kennedys.yes i was flustered that she did that and i was going to say something to the manager about it because i was told by a different branch manager of this particular bank that the tellers cant skim from their till they would be fired.but every manager might be a little lax over policies.but i just figured oh well it was her lucky day.now she might have a connection with the bank president and then the next time i order a box they might say oh theres a charge for it now.some of the other banks have started charging me for boxes.but theres not much silver to be found anymore and paying $5 for a box just does'nt appeal to me.so if you dont like the service you get from a certain bank go to another one.but to me it makes no sense burning your bridges you may have to go back and use that bridge to cross again someday good luck and HH-nomad 11

I don't believe that a teller should be fired over one incident of lying to a customer. However, it should be considered should it be a repeated thing after other previous warnings. Some people will never change their behavior unless someone brings it up.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I have said before and will say for the last time. Fine with me if the cherry pick. But don't do it in front me. If it is in the tray it is fair game. As for burning bridges, if they are picking and not giving it to you who cares..same result. I am just fed up with the rudeness and lying of people in general. Yes I would pick too, but again I wouldn't be so lazy where I would leave it in the tray for a week.

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Perhaps another good question would be; Why do we lie to tellers faces?

I've been on this forum for quite awhile and this is an argument that crops up over and over. How many people tell the tellers "oh all these halves? Well they are for poker night," or some other bs because we don't want to mention the "s" word?

If we lie about why we get them, then how can we be offended when they lie about whether they have any? Now, I understand that some out there do let their tellers know what the deal is, but the vast majority think its some big hush hush secret.

That being said, I do believe that if they have them and want to keep them then the coins should be put away out of common courtesy. If they can't put them away then trade them to a drive thru teller where Noone will ever see them. Good business practices would be to just relinquish the goods and chalk it up to an unlucky day, but I can't blame them for wanting the silver, just like we do.

Sorry for any grammer or punctuation issues, I typed this on my phone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread