Why do you CRH.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know with the way the economy is, some people might be doing this just to try and make ends meet. Others simply enjoy the hobby while others are hooked on the silver bug and what the future might hold.

My question is quite simple, why do you CRH?

Let me start.

1) I get a rush out of opening the $500 box and looking for enders. I even scolded my oldest son when he reached in and grabbed a handful that I hadn't check yet for enders. :laughing9:

2) It is kind of like Christmas for me each week. As you unwrap each roll you are never sure what you are getting. When
you do get some silver it is quite a rush.

3) It is a hobby that virtually cost nothing to do, I keep a stash of .50 at home to replace those that I find in the roll that
are silvers. That way, in my mind at least, it has cost me nothing but time.

4) The other side of this is not necessarily the monetary value of what you find, don't get me wrong, it is nice but I enjoy finding other types of foreign coins in the mix and marked up Halves. Some are quite elegant and others are quite
artistic in their own right. The most amazing one I found was the gold Kennedy's that had other dates stamped in them. They celebrated the birth and death of JFK and people paid upwards of 29.95 for each one, I have found at least 25 of them over
the past six months. Hell I even gave one to the teller at my dump bank as a present, she went absolutely gaga over it after I explained where it came from.. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Bigj5731

Aug 26, 2009
Michigan
I crh because........

I love finding silver
I sell the 40%ers
I am trying to put together walker. Franklin and Kennedy half sets.

-bigJ

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I CRH for the fun of it and gives me something to do now that I'm retired. I'm a collector, so many of the nice silver coins I get I keep and will pass down when I'm in CRHing Heaven.
rileyboy

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I try to do as much of my CRH'ing as possible on breaks and lunches at work.....it gets me out of the office, and it makes it seem like the time I put into doing it is "on the clock", therefore costing me nothing but the face value investment.

I sold $1,000 face of 40%ers on Wednesday when silver was $19.03 per ounce. Locked in the sale with Apmex at $5,240.00 ($2.62 per coin). Not too shabby! Will take the check and invest it in gold when prices drop, thus getting it for something like $220 per ounce of actual investment (not counting my time). Any increase in gold value is just frosting on the cake! What's not to like?

- Grizz

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I CRH because I don't have faith in our current monetary system and its the cheapest way to get silver to invest in.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
I will be honest, mom raised me to collect old/rare coins, back in the day a clad half i would store away... so when i found out i could get silver doing this i jumped aboard. am just collecting it, but have sold a few to keep up in the positive with short rolls and counter being off. I think Grizz just gave me an idea to save up 1k and sell to apmex when it is up, as that is more then what i sold for!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I like it because it's like a slot machine where you don't lose. Only gas to go to the bank.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
d2arcing;
The APMEX transaction was painless (although with the market activity in silver today I now wish I had waited a bit, but you can't keep second-guessing yourself on this kind of thing). I used a flat-rate USPS box that cost $10.40, and then paid an additional $25 for $5,500 in insurance. It seemed prudent, as anybody that handles the package is going to know that it contains something special.
Something else I learned yesterday is that APMEX will buy 40%er halves in $500 face increments as well. Their website does not state this, but the customer service person said this was the case. Nice to know.
- Grizz

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Mentone Grizz said:
I sold $1,000 face of 40%ers on Wednesday when silver was $19.03 per ounce. Locked in the sale with Apmex at $5,240.00 ($2.62 per coin). Not too shabby! Will take the check and invest it in gold when prices drop, thus getting it for something like $220 per ounce of actual investment (not counting my time). Any increase in gold value is just frosting on the cake! What's not to like?

- Grizz

MG,

I don't know what number you are looking for, but my personal view is that we will not see gold below 1100 until AFTER the bull has run its course (several years from now). Even many non-gold bug commentators are predicting 1300 by year's end. I dollar cost average each month no matter what the price is.

If you are looking to buy gold now is a good time (unless you already have a nice hoard). Just my humble 2 cents.

Jim

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I'm in it for the silver to melt down and make silver bullets for when society collapses and werewolves run free.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
All of the above! I started with cents and quickly moved to halves. Sold off enough to be operating on pure profit now! :thumbsup:

Maine_Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
favored papa said:
free money any time you can trade .50 for 2.50 free money

But you have to remember your time = money. If it takes sorting through 5 boxes of halves, then dumping them to find a few 40%ers, is it really free money?

A person could go work at a convenience store for 8 hours and walk away with 70 dollars or so. Is that free money?

I CRHed quite a bit until the silver ran out where I live. As long as a person is either really having fun just hunting the coins or is finding a good amount of keepers, CRHing is a worthwhile pursuit in my opinion.

But if a person is spending hours compulsively searching for silver coins and comes up empty or with just a couple, it can become a losing proposition. I only say this because it took me personally way too long to realize I was in this losing proposition spot. I still get hand rolls occasionally and find a couple, but I had to force myself to stop getting lots of boxes to only find a bunch of marked up rejects time and time again.

I envy all those who live in areas that have decent finds in the boxes week after week in that the thrill of finding good amounts of silver is hard to beat.

Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Too true jim - it took me a while to get a system in place. For me the key is the dumping of coins. If you can find a decent bag dump bank then it doesn't cost too much. I average 15 minutes a box including my dump time. It works out to about two or three hours a week for eight boxes. Road trips can get you and I've cut back a bit but I'm still finding they usually can be lucrative. It helps that I collect coins so I know what else to look for. :read2:

Maine_Jim

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the question!

1. I spend time with Mr. Apush in the evenings with a cold one in our hands. :laughing7: It is our special time to be together as I work so many dog-gone hours.

2. Stress relief: Keeps my mind off work and gives me a break.

3. Love to find silver. Like others that have posted, it is a slot machine where one does not loose $$$. :) If I don't find any keepers, then I still have my money (well, the Good Lord willing and the Creek don't rise--aka U.S. Government).

4. I love American history. I have a masters in said subject and coins have a "history." Be it a Peace Dollar (WWI & the Roaring 20s), a War Nickel--WWII, a Ben (1950s--The Age of Conformity/The Forgotten War), or a Kennedy (Vietnam). Yes, before any one goes at me, the dates overlap. I love history, par none. It is my greatest passion. If only primary documents could talk--and coins are primary documents!

apush :read2:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I coin roll hunt for several reasons. First, I collect coins, and it's a good way to get your folders filled without buying the coins. Saves a lot of money there.
Second, I think it's pretty fun and it's something I can do with my 4 year old daughter, she seems to like it too.
Third, to stash up some silver to sell down the road. I don't think I'll sell any time soon, I'm really holding out until it goes up in value a little ways. You never know when it will jump up a ways.
I think that pretty much covers why I roll hunt. I also metal detect, just not as often as roll hunting.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim4silver,
I agree that it's technically not free money, because it does take some time to do. I can burn through coin roll hunting pretty quickly after doing it for a while, and I sure wouldn't say that it's work. It's a lot more fun being at home searching rolls than being at work. I look at it as a hobby that is an investment. If I knew that I could sit at home watching TV and make more money roll hunting all day long than working, I would roll hunt all day long. That's just me though. But I know that it's not a guarantee that you'll always get silver. I see it both ways really.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't roll hunt much at all anymore, but it's still in my blood. Like Jim4silver mentioned, I found myself scoring less and less the last year or two, because of increased competition. As much as I love searching halves and dimes, (mostly dimes), I quit because it just seems rediculous to spend $10 at a time in gas, picking up and dumping, not counting the time involved, to score $10-$15 in dimes. I am a collector first, and I've kept track of my finds and i'm only breaking even. Doesn't mean I will quit altogether! Wish everyone the best of luck! ffd

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
time / profiet wize --folks always bring up the old you'ld make more working at a 7 -11 -- heres what they do not bring up -- to work at 7-11 you do it when they want , you work "for them" doing what they want , as they want it done (its a "job" do as your told) -- plus you run the risk of being held up / sho5t or stabbed by some crack dope feind.

CRHing is fun-- while you never know exactly what you might find thats part of the thrill -- its very low to no cost -- it can be done by "retired" or "disabled" folks as a hobby (that can at times turn a few extra bucks ) since they tend to have time on their hands * plus they can do it when and for as long or short a time as they choose to do it ( basically you set your own work "hours"- try that with a 7-11 type "job"--bet the "boss" will not go for it )

I CRH for the fact that even on 40%ers a 50 cent swap out investment will pay a $2.50 return (thus i make 5 times my investment * )--- and in the worse case --its still worth the 50 cent face value , i put in --so theres no way humanly possible to lose on my "investment" -- so its tiotally 100 % upside -- thus never any loss , only gain --- and there is no investment of any type that i know of can offer that.

however the days of making "free" money are soon to be at a close * with the govt soon to be tracking sells of $600 or over soon to be put into place -- clearly old uncle sam is after those who make a buck at our hobby , he wants his tax "cut" of your hard earned CRHing profiets--be prepared to fill out forms when you sell gold and silver coins in the future --the irs will track it and if it goes over $600 per year bet your going to have to declare it as "income". --count on it.-- govt IRS motto --find ALL sources of income of any type and tax it .---no TAX free income --peroid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions