Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever sought to figure out exactly why you love metal detecting so much?

Most of us will probably end up putting more into this hobby than we'll ever get out of it. So, I don't think we're into this for pure financial gain.

Why is it when detecting we can get so excited about digging a Memorial cent but not even bother to pick one up if seen on the surface while not detecting?

I love digging stuff...but why?

Why do you think we do what we do? What is the root reason?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
dfxdude said:
Now I wish I had started this before age 57? like many others have.

I started 37 years ago but I had long times when I didn't do THing. Had I stayed with it I probably wouldn't have back trouble today.

I have a job that keeps me at a desk most of the day. I get very little physical exercise. Like you, I can't just walk for no reason.

For mental and physical well-being, people need to get outside and be active.

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
It's the hunt............The thrill of hearing that buzz.while swinging down an old country road. To our hands and knees we go spade in hand and we dig....not knowing......and we find..Whatever, be it a pop top.....or that Double eagle....dropped from a saddle bag......or that liberty that fell from that farmers pocket. Just knowing the last person to even touch that coin was over a hundred years ago.....Besides it gets me away from the wife.....JUST KIDDING HONEY..... ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
IrishCharlieM said:
It's the hunt............The thrill of hearing that buzz.while swinging down an old country road.

IrishCharlieM, have you hunted many country roads?

We have lots of these old sandy roads near us and I was wondering how I should hunt them? What should I look for?

Any ideas anyone?

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i been hunting 25 years now, and i just enjoying never know what im going to find next,

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got hooked many years ago when I saw a friend dig up a gold ring out of my yard and it wasn't mine. But I like all parts of this hobby, not just the finding. It's especially pleasing to return a lost item to the owner. I've made a business out of the hobby too by cleaning beaches for people using screen sifters and detectors to remove anything that doesn't belong there including paper trash, gum, bandaids, etc. This brings home tons more income, but it is not really detecting, it's work. That four letter word...... :'( But we have ten employees. People don't see us as we are there very early in the morning and leave before the public arrives.

Sandman

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ever since I was a little girl...I dreamed of being a Pirate! From my earliest memories I was out digging for treasure or burying caches of pennies! My dad would make all us girls , wooden swords and my sisters and I would take over his old fishing boat ...which became the fastest bravest pirate ship on the ...pond ! We were allowed to run and explore and virtually go anywhere...and we did.
I have always loved older things...the pure history of how things were made or what they were used for. My dad did alot of construction remodeling on buildings and homes and was always bringing home something that he had found in the walls or floor. He was also lucky at finding things along roads and had us all trained as "eagle eyes" from the time we could see out the window. Mom said we never could get anywhere on time because we were all yelling..Stop!
When I was 15 my dad took me on a fishing trip to Canada. It was there that I really got the bug for TH. We had gone 26 miles by water ,then portgaged for 8 miles across a little island. It was there that we found an old mining town that had been totally deserted . Everything had been left...a store,houses,a 200 room hotel,unbelievable. I spent all my time going through the buildings and not fishing. Since we were so far in,we couldn't pack anything out. But I managed to carry a bread board paddle out from the bakery. Hahah Still have it on my wall!
My sisters and I would go on camping trips into the wild for three or four days every chance we got. We were always looking for old town sites,logging camps or Indian settlements .
As I grew older, I really liked Metal detecting and began to spend alot of time looking for old sites. I wanted the history as well as the find. Where we grew up, people just let entire homesteads rot into the ground and I cant tell you how many antiques I dragged home ,because the owners viewed them as junk.
My passion for treasure hunting has developed into a full time passion. I also like the fact that it is a recreation /hobby that you can do solo or share similar interests with in forums like this. I dont know how many times I have found a "what the heck is it?" in the past and had to lay it aside. Now its easy to post and have the answers in minutes.
Now my own children are following my footsteps...

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
I do it for many reasons. For one, it's just fun to get out of the house. Two, you never know what you may find. That next sound from your machine holds virtually endless possibilities for what could be bured just beneath the surface. I also do it because I like to compete with others to see who can find the most coins, oldest coins, coolest relics, etc. It's just fun for me and turning it into a sport makes it even more enjoyable.
I agree with all of thee above!!!! finding the old stuff and a little friendly competition....and bragging rights of course...Keep on Digging no matter what it looks like outside....Seeker

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect for the "thrill of the hunt". It's wondering what wonderful find might be in the next hole you dig. It just might be that" pot of gold" in my avatar ! And it's a way to relax and get some exercize and also take your mind off the cares of the world for awhile.

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread