Why I am never Afraid to walk around with tens of thousands of gold in my pocket

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
people are just dumb...the majority of the public is just dumb, uneducated etc. what do you want to call it! this is exactly why it is important to sell off your gold before you die as opposed to leaving it to grand kids who dont know any better.
Off too the pawn shop! $50 an ounce! hell yeah, i can buy a video game now! Also how people can take advantage of people of their gold.

I have seen people react the same way. I have tossed 10 oz gold bars in peoples hands and they still think its not real. taken 5 and 10 oz bars in public and used it as a paper weight and no one casts a second glance. Let people hold it and they all just comment on how heavy it is...and thats it.

Sad...just sad.

Attachments

• REFINECLOSEUP.JPG
    REFINECLOSEUP.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • REFINECLOSEUP.JPG
    REFINECLOSEUP.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,066

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it's in the shape of a ring
With some Diamonds in it
it isn't looked at
as important.

& Even then People are so Jaded these days
Most would probably refuse a 50 K Diamond Ring.

Not me I Ain't proud
Somone wants to give me something on the Street
I'd take it.

Even a Locked Suitcase

& If it's from someone with a mike and Camera
Especially. Even if it's Ticking

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Can't comment,don't want to get banned.All I can say is,don't venture from that small town you must live in.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
Can't comment,don't want to get banned.All I can say is,don't venture from that small town you must live in.

:D Why Would I Ban You ?

Because you Think Everyone is Out to Get You ?

or because you think I'm a Fool For Trusting People
in general :D ?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
jeff of pa said:
warsawdaddy said:

No,it's just because I took exception to jewelerdave's comments(majority of people are dumb) and I might have said something I shouldn't(it is early am).I had no problem with your post.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warsawdaddy said:
jeff of pa said:
warsawdaddy said:

No,it's just because I took exception to jewelerdave's comments(majority of people are dumb) and I might have said something I shouldn't(it is early am).I had no problem with your post.

I Agree Dumb may be the Wrong word for it.

Suspicious Is probably More Correct These days. :(

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
warsawdaddy said:
jeff of pa said:
warsawdaddy said:

I Agree Dumb may be the Wrong word for it.

Suspicious Is probably More Correct These days. :(

Personally I guess it is all how you look at it. He said that the majority was dumb, not all. Realistically speaking, the vast majority of people on this site are much more informed about precious metals and such than the average person, so would NOT fall into the majority range he mentioned. I did not take any exception to the statement myself whatsoever.

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I probably did use a harsh word saying dumb. I guess uninformed and ignorant would have been the best term to use.
Anyone on this site is going to know more than some joe on the street, and that is what was targeted.

some know more than others,

Anyone on this site is going to have an edge over those who just dont know.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
jewelerdave said:
Let people hold it and they all just comment on how heavy it is...and that's it.

Sad...just sad.

What do you expect them to do? If you let me hold a slab of gold, I'd just say, wow, cool, looks great, and then give it back. What else are you expecting?

Jay

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I don't know for sure, but I believe if you handed someone something and said this is made of gold, they are gonna know it is valuable. They might not know the best place to go sell it to make the most money, but they will know if is worth more than say, aluminum or copper.

When it comes to coins and PMs in such form, most people just don't really get it, but they do understand gold jewelry to some extent.

I think the reason is that in our country the TV talking heads and such talk-down PMs every chance they get. As a society we are taught to value stocks, bonds, cash money, etc., instead of gold and PMs. I think that will change in the not too distant future for sure. In fact, when the average joe on the street is talking about buying silver or gold, that will probably be the time to sell sell sell.

In other countries the people understand the value of gold and buy it at certain times of year for religious/festive occasions, such as India, etc. In this sense they are a bit more enlightened than the US only because for now and the foreseeable future, gold will probably be a good bet. But maybe not forever.

I would not necessarily say that our US populace is dumb (definitely unlearned for sure, in more ways than one) because of how they view it anymore than I would say they are dumb for thinking that getting a four year college degree will allow them to make alot of money and to find a "secure" job with a company that will take care of them thru retirement, in today's world. It all comes down to what society (media and education system) instills in the people from the time they are children thru adulthood. If they started teaching entrepreneurship and the value of fiat money vs. PMs, etc, more people would get it.

Jim

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most people think if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents: Most folks today--or at least the younger generation--have not experienced such a historical event (depression/war) that would lend the need to become "informed." Unfortunatly, it often takes a tragedy to get folks to set up and take notice of finances and value. I am in the business of educating our children (teenagers) and I can promise you kids can spot bling-bling a mile away. They don't care if it is gold, silver, etc as long as it is gaudy. They are more into, as metioned--video games, and texting, IPODS, sagging jeans--which is their treasure. Don't care for it, but it is a fact of life. Precious metals have saved people's lives throughout history--which our history teachers do teach our kids at our school.
apush

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I show up at prospecting club meetings and gold shows where I see thousands of dollars worth of gold at a time. It's usually several collections that all add up but it's like walking into a safety deposit vault and getting to look into each box to view gold worth a couple hundred to as much as a couple thousand a collection.

It's wealth beyond my wildest dreams but it's also like an antique shop. It's all worth something to someone but like paper money in my pocket or an IRA account that I can't touch just yet. I know when I'm in the bank visiting my money that there's more money in the bank then I can count in an hour but who cares.

It's all a relevant subject. Oh well!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:
I would have said " sold " and gave him his five bucks or his cup of coffee....

Think he wold have given it up?????

:o

I'd guess it wasn't realy for sale.
It would have ended his Program.

He probably cut out all those who said
"shure I'll Buy it !"

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
jewelerdave said:
I probably did use a harsh word saying dumb. I guess uninformed and --deleted-- would have been the best term to use.
Anyone on this site is going to know more than some joe on the street, and that is what was targeted.

some know more than others,

Anyone on this site is going to have an edge over those who just dont know.

i would say a lot of folk are even proud to be stupid.....

check out the number who wear tees and sweats proclaiming

I DONT CARE OR ASK ME IF I CARE ? OR I DONT GIVE A DARN.....

OR NO ONE CARES,SO WHAT? geez what idiots

so go sell ur grandfathers gold ring for 20 bux.

or the turn in the silver coins a relative left for face at a bank

more for me.... AND THE LOCAL PAWN MAN is making a killing

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with jewelerdave's first statement. Too, many people today are just ignor-ant to what's going on around them. Just watch those "Man on the Street" interviews and see how many don't even know the name of the U.S. Vice President. I mean, he IS forgetable, but........... :laughing7:

If you really want to cause their brain to go on permanent lockdown, ask them who wrote the Constitution of the United States of America. Our public schools have "graduated" tens of thousands of ignor-ant diploma holders in the last 4 decades.

Gold is just a word they've heard on TV. Gold bars are just movie props they've seen in the movies.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Im just gettin the impression...people dont trust this guy......Wanna buy a Rolex!
He gets off on making people look "stupid"as compared to his brilliamt self.
Hope some street rat stole his catyletic converter while he was doing this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions