Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the land of the Bluenose.....thought I would drive down the winding, serpintine, "s" turn Beaverbank Rd and pay a visit to me bud Fred whose field was the subject for one of my articles in Eastern and Western Treasure. Knocking on the door of his 100 plus year old farm house I was greeted by his Heinz 57 mutt who answered the door. After a quick rub behind the ears he retreated to the mat in front of the old pot bellied stove as Fred made his appearance. A smile graced his face and for the next 45 minutes we chatted about the old times when folks worked for a living and were darn right proud of it. During our chat it came out that next month Fred has to under go the knife for a spot on his liver. I'm sure by talking to him this was not the big worry on his mind but that of his farm that had been in his family for generations. He related that his older son had gone to school and taken weilding and that his younger bouy was into salvage yards and cars and was concerned as to what the furure of the homestead was going to be.

After the 5th cig chain smoked by Fred it was time for this bouy to hit his field and dig a few treasures that this field never ceases to hide and to boot me son it had started to snow.
47b8dd07b3127cceb7de52bbfab700000026108AcM2bhk4ZN2

Knew that hits were going to be few and far between but I was wrapped tightly in the usual attire and just happy to be outside admiring the view and snow. After the easy digging on the field by the stage coach stop I was not prepared for the toil that was ahead when I got my first heavenly bell tone from the Garrett.

Grabbed my adopted pet rock and began to hammer, hammer and hammer again and getting no wheres in a hurry so I dropped "Stoney" and went a searching for "Big Rock" (not to be confussed with the place in Arkansaw) who did the dew with me a swearing so bad that a steveadore on the Halifax waterfront would have been embarrased as I missed and hit my thumb! Son of a sea horse it hurt. Never been skunked on a day out a digging and I was going to retrieve this target at any price me son and that I did putting a big hole throught it as well as the tundra which was about 7 inches down. No floundering youz it took 15 minutes to cut that coin out of the ground . Sum glad youz dat it wasn't a silver of the third kind as I made it into one of those PEI holy plugs!
47b8dd07b3127cceb7de57e03b4600000026108AcM2bhk4ZN2

Through me fuzzy eyes as I didn't have me specs on I noticed the date....1954. Well let me tell you that was a bad omen and I called it a day.1954 is my birth year and on the 28th of next month turn 54......ummmmmmmmmmm six years to discounts at stores and theaters but not the "Smart Shop."

On the way back to my car me 4 legged buds paid a quick visit but left quickly as I didn't have an apple in hand!
47b8dd07b3127cceb7de5100ba9500000026108AcM2bhk4ZN2
Can't say I blame the beast and will four shore bring a few apples next visit. Tasted the grass he was a gnawing on and can't say it's my cup of Red Rose Tea.

By the time I arrived home the snow was a coming at a good clip youz!
47b8dd07b3127cceb7de6f3dbab700000026108AcM2bhk4ZN2

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Thanks for sharing that story, and no skunk for you :). I use the HP 425 Photo Smart camera.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I enjoyed your story and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

vision quest

Jul 8, 2007
RENSSELAER, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Excalibur II
Minelab SDC 2300
Me thinks you should put that coin on a chain (I HAS THE HOLE) and wear it as a good luck/ happy diggin charm. And Happy Early Birthday !!! :icon_sunny:

P

Pentico

Great post!
Don't forget the apples next time.....lol :thumbsup:
Chris & LeeAnn

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Leslie,
ya got to visit with your friend, your coin is a good luck omen for ya..and I love the horses, yea, bring carrots n apples for sure next time... and I hope your friends surgery goes well.. so you both will still have lots to chat about.. :thumbsup:

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens...Loved the Story and Pics; for a second I was watching over the both of your shoulders as you wounded that coin. When the ground thaws somewhat you'll have a better time...HH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi Les it's great to see your posts. I've been away from the forums for a while. The ground is starting to thaw out in some spots here in NH so maybe I'll be posting some more soon. Good luck out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions