Why is it called "Silverware?"

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: Why is it called "Silverware?"

Just a guess, but was it because of the supposed healing properties of silver?

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

DARN!
The "First" reply ...
AND!
It's the Right One!
:D YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! :D
I just saw, where a company is making clothing for hunting that is impregnated with silver to kill any body odor....
That's what reminded me of this (Silver's) property !
The old timers, used to place a " Silver Dollar " in a jug of milk to keep it from spoiling!
Silver was used before "Penicillin", only got edged out because of the Chemical Companies!
You can't "patent" it !

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast

Well I have a different point of view. I hope I don't step on anyone's toes.

I study how and where words come from. The term "Silverware" I believe is a silversmiths term as well as anyone selling "wares". Like hardware, brass-ware, ironware, flatware, dishware.
ware is an informal word for implements. As silver became less costly it became a common metal for use.

As for the use of silver. It was a way for many to show they were making or had money. In most places when "silverware" started most poor folks used wood "ware" or iron "ware". The use of silver held status. Silver like mentioned above is true but for health reasons the purer the silver the better. Look at your old silver coins. Would you think a corroded coin would be healthy? Silver was definitely used like the silver coin in milk. In many poor countries they use silver to purify water to this day. Also colloidal silver; a suspension of microscopic particles, are still used in bandages and also drank for health reasons.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
~Z~

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)

Does silver rust, or taste bad when it does or does not rust? It could be something as simple as it holds up under use and does not leave an iron after taste while eating. But I'm just guessing and all the answers seem correct. I think its time for a google search.
Mike

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE

From what I know and have been told all my life is that Silver is an important element in our health. I would also think that it would not be too far fetched to think that silver was, and still is used in making eating utensils for health reasons. Which most likely made it so that only the upperclass could aford solid silverware. You can find gobs of information about the benefits of silver on health, it's even used in x-rays, Silverdine cream for burns, ect. Same as you can with quicksilver (Mercury).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_silver
Quote: Colloidal silver is a colloid of silver particles in water. It has antimicrobial properties and is used on external wounds and burns to prevent infection. It is also claimed by some to be a beneficial nutritional supplement and to be a powerful antibiotic[1] [2]. The ingestion of colloidal silver in large quantities or over a long period of time carries a high risk of argyria, a condition in which the skin turns permanently blue-gray.[3][4][5]

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

The average user of "colloidal silver" need never to worry about turning "blue"!
But!
Has anyone given thought to the term, "Blue Blood" ?
It's a interesting fact!

I, make/use/drink, "colloidal silver" lots of times!
In, LARGE DOSES, TOO!
I'm still not a "Blue Blood" !

The "Russian" Bacterial Warfare labs, discovered that colloidal silver, was effective against 650 different types, of bacteria/agents/weapons!
It was used & APPROVED by U.S. Doctors/FDA, until the discovery of "penicillin" !
Why did they quit using it ?
'Cause, you can't patent "Silver" compounds ...
No! Patent, No! Money!
But!
It's still being used today...
I just recently saw an advertisement for "Hunting Clothing" that kills body oder!
Guess what it has in it ?

Maryland Searcher

Mar 4, 2007
Maryland, Pennsylvania line
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (New model)

I know this is an older post but heres my 2 cents.

In medievial times only the wealthy i.e. the kings, queens and regents could use or even afford eating utinsils. Even wooden ones were considered only for the wealthy. Since the wealthy had to keep up with the Joneses, they started making them from silver which was precious metal, flaunting their wealth to other aristocrats. After the initial use of silver, they also encrusted them with jewels, gold and semi precious stones. Some royalty even had their spoons/forks made into necklaces to be carried with them on the road. It was considered a very personal item such as a kerchief, goblet or brush.

Believe it or not, I was told this by an old member of my family from Germany. Supposedly my forefathers were guards for some royalty way way way way back in the day. I have yet to do any research as Im too enthralled with my "finds". Hope this helps some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread