Why is it?

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this may not be a popular post, and my comments aren't meant to offend other hunters. I have been detecting for a few years now....both on land and the beach/surf. I enjoy this site, but I have a question. I spend the majority of my time in this section of the forum and everyday I see the most amazing finds, but yet....the only time a beach hunter's find makes the banner wall is if its a 7K diamond ring that belonged to Black Beard the pirate. I realize, depending on what type of hunter you are....depends on what you consider significant, but I think beach hunters are getting robbed of recognition simply because they find significant finds on a consistent basis.

Just my .02 cents happy hunting everyone.

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get hung up on banner finds, it's a popularity game. Even if you are popular it doesn't mean you will get banner if certain people on the forum don't like you.

OP
OP
Hag730

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.....I never thought of it like that.

I don't worry about my posts necessarily....just an observation. Maybe its just me.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this may not be a popular post, and my comments aren't meant to offend other hunters. I have been detecting for a few years now....both on land and the beach/surf. I enjoy this site, but I have a question. I spend the majority of my time in this section of the forum and everyday I see the most amazing finds, but yet....the only time a beach hunter's find makes the banner wall is if its a 7K diamond ring that belonged to Black Beard the pirate. I realize, depending on what type of hunter you are....depends on what you consider significant, but I think beach hunters are getting robbed of recognition simply because they find significant finds on a consistent basis.

Just my .02 cents happy hunting everyone.
Your right, but maybe the other beach hunters don't nominate for banner...I don't know...Ive nominated beach finds for the banner but they never made it up.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right, but maybe the other beach hunters don't nominate for banner...I don't know...Ive nominated beach finds for the banner but they never made it up.

You nailed it :thumbsup:

there are 2 or 5 who vote banner in here
when something special gets posted

But it's rare all of them even agree on what is banner worthy.

perhaps the beach hunters are connoisseurs and know the difference between
a Cool Find & WOW !!!!

being this is Beach and Shallow Water, most of what gets banner nominations are Rings.
but again rarely a ring catches enough eyes to inspire enough Awe to get the votes.

a simple solution is to double post in today's Finds & Beach and Shallow Water,
but remember if one post gets say 3 Votes & the other Gets say 3 Votes,
Our score Cards may not notice that's 6 votes
add to that if the same person votes in Both, We will still only count it as 3 votes.

the only popularity I see is in the case of Gold coins & one or 2 Relics which
most of them get votes. Personally I'd like to see more variety.

But remember the Find has to be Significant.
(No 10k, or costume jewelry, unless proven to be blackbeard's nose ring)
The Pics have to look good up there
and the votes need to come in.
& if you campaign for votes, I'm going to up the number needed to qualify :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hag730

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree this should be up there, But It needs members to say so in votes.

I'm not sure I agree If,
somebody had found this under a swing set somewhere.....it would have been up there.
really hard to say if the today's finds crowd would have voted or Not :dontknow:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most beach & shallow water folks generally accept that quality pieces of jewelry have become pretty common recoveries. Like Jeff says, there's so much gold and silver, etc., posted here the bar on the "Wow Value" has just been pushed much higher. Add to this that the greatest portion of it is generally modern stuff with little or no historical significance. "A lot" of awesome finds made each year by the beach & water crowd, so many that "awesome" has to be "awesomer".

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting on the Banner is hard. Two years ago I found a Sanskrit Bible ,value at $100.000 and it never make the Banner.!!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found a Sanskrit bible on the beach or in shallow water?

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong...It happens A LOT! But I believe one of the other criteria for "making" the banner is that you have to be a "Charter" member of the forum as well as being nominated.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong...It happens A LOT! But I believe one of the other criteria for "making" the banner is that you have to be a "Charter" member of the forum as well as being nominated.

No.

When the Banner was first created it was considered to be "Charter member" only
But the number of Charter members at that time was very low,
since the Charter program was started around the same time.

and most of the nicest finds were by Non-charter members.

It was suggested again recently that it would be a good way to
increase Charter Memberships, But I personally feel If someone finds something
above normal, And get the votes, They should not be required to join
in order to have it up there.

Add to that new banner finds are slow as Is, doing Charter members only,
will slow it even more.

out of the Last 20 Banners up there, only 2 Qualify if Charter only

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a beach hunter myself and a mod I see both sides of the coin so to speak. See nice finds, but not enough votes to make banner and 5 or 6 isn't enough to make banner and saying "banner find" in thread doesn't count at all.....

I can say this and be 100% sure, it has NOTHING to do at all on if someone is liked or not liked. There are no "no votes" only "yes votes" for banner votes...Members can not vote against a find making banner.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting on the Banner is hard. Two years ago I found a Sanskrit Bible ,value at $100.000 and it never make the Banner.!!

I cannot find your posting on your find of a Sanskrit Bible, Ron.
Can you make an update on it so that it will move forward and be currently seen by all.
I would really like to see it and vote Banner as such a find truely deserves to be recognized.
Hopefully, this can still be done and other T Net members will also vote banner in support of your efforts.
I find it disturbing that only a fistful or more detectorists are able to control the awarding of banners, because of lack participation by other members which to me negates what a forum is supposed to be.
No wonder postings are getting dull and duller other than for name calling (in my opinion) and veiled insults which is prohibited as there is little incentive to make them otherwise.

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot find your posting on your find of a Sanskrit Bible, Ron.
Can you make an update on it so that it will move forward and be currently seen by all.
I would really like to see it and vote Banner as such a find truely deserves to be recognized.
Hopefully, this can still be done and other T Net members will also vote banner in support of your efforts.
I find it disturbing that only a fistful or more detectorists are able to control the awarding of banners, because of lack participation by other members which to me negates what a forum is supposed to be.
No wonder postings are getting dull and duller other than for name calling (in my opinion) and veiled insults which is prohibited as there is little incentive to make them otherwise.
I will get some Pics. and post again.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well I for one am guilty of not casting my vote for banner for the 22k gold & emerald ring, when I thought it was banner quality. However, it did not help for the finder of the emerald ring to say he was not sure if the emerald was real or not, and never confirmed it was actually real. Of course on the other side, I can't imagine putting a fake emerald in a 22k gold ring. I imagined that the poster didn't follow up with an emerald confirmation because he didn't want to draw too much additional attention to his valuable find.... On the issue of selection of banner finds, it seems pretty straight forward that if a lot of members vote banner for a find, it make the banner. Seems simple enough to me....

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sort of feel the same Beach Papa
The 22K ring is a beautify, but there is something about the stone that doesn’t look right in the photos.
I feel that the color should be far darker to contrast against the gold for effect. Also why would someone mount and cut an emerald that way?

I doubt that the stone is a fake, are there other green stones which look similar to Emeralds but are lighter in color?

I guess I am just jealous and frustrated. Have researched all the popular beach hunting books for the Sovereign and the Excalibur but still have not been able to set my detectors to find emeralds, rubies, sapphires and diamonds. All I seem to find is plain old rings with no stones (lol). Though I did find some glass colored ear ring studs and costume jewelry on hair/bobby pins in all metal mode (sigh).

Most likely, I have been more than spoiled by all the posting on T Net who Bob Dylan would most like sing a lyric about as The Emerald Man, or Peter Paul and Mary in a song about Gary T was a beach treasure hunting man

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I for one am guilty of not casting my vote for banner for the 22k gold & emerald ring, when I thought it was banner quality. However, it did not help for the finder of the emerald ring to say he was not sure if the emerald was real or not, and never confirmed it was actually real. Of course on the other side, I can't imagine putting a fake emerald in a 22k gold ring. I imagined that the poster didn't follow up with an emerald confirmation because he didn't want to draw too much additional attention to his valuable find.... On the issue of selection of banner finds, it seems pretty straight forward that if a lot of members vote banner for a find, it make the banner. Seems simple enough to me....

Some of the other issues.

People posting Finds and No details.
The Banner is for "Recent Finds" not for Best finds,
or something found 6 months or a year ago.
must be recent.
& must be by the poster, Not their kid, not their hunting Buddy,
not even the kid down the road . not even if you invent a tear jerker story
to add to it :tongue3:

A good story & details are also appreciated,
and I've noticed good details get more attention from members,
then just saying "I found this"

It is understood a Possible emerald ring needs to be confirmed.
So if you were to post the story when it was found,
and Update when it is confirmed, it would still be in the running.
but a separate thread saying remember this ? 6 months later,
is not acceptable. Newbies don't remember the When, & Where,
so do updates in the same thread, so we can see if it will still qualify.

also remember if someone found the river of Gold worth a Billion Dollars
in the Morning, Signed up here at noon, & Gets voted banner in the afternoon.

I will tell them Flat out "Sorry,you must be a member awhile before you found it"
(Simply because New members haven't proven their reason for being here yet)
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ime-key-indian-thread-consiquences-lying.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread