Why mint new coins?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
With all the high mintages of coins each year after year, and the life expectancy of a coin could be 100+ years, why does our government continue to spend millions of dollars each year to mint new coins? As compared to the $1 dollar paper note that has a life of 16-24 months before it is so badly mutilated that it has to be destroyed, our current coinage in your pocket will outlive you, your kids, and their kids. Why can't the gov't forgo minting coins, and only do so every 5 or 10 years? It's not like our coins today are made of silver or gold like they use to be. They have NO intrinsic value to them except what it says on the coin: one cent, five cents, ......etc. We don't need billions and billions of coins floating around anymore. Just look at the mockery of the mintage of the presidential dollars. They keep minting billions each year, but nobody wants them, BUT our illustrious congress mandated that we must make them, only because they may a law back then. So! Recend the law, for a program that went south. We CHR's are continuing to find coins that are over 50-75 years old. Doesn't this tell our gov't anything. That our coins are still out there.
Your comments guys ???????

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Luckily they make Pennies or should I say Cents :laughing7: Disposable these days, so those arent an issue...But I agree....simpley for the fact that a Nickel and Dime doenst buy you Shiii now-a-days.

I perosnally think the coin thing is great..i would love to see 2 dollar coins....5 dollar coins...hell even 10 dollar coins.....Since i Primarly Metal Detect...The More Coins..the more drops for me to find....Since I started detecting in 2009...I have found over 15 dollars in just Dollar coins...I like finding money :occasion14:

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Luckily they make Pennies or should I say Cents :laughing7: Disposable these days, so those arent an issue...But I agree....simpley for the fact that a Nickel and Dime doenst buy you Shiii now-a-days.

I perosnally think the coin thing is great..i would love to see 2 dollar coins....5 dollar coins...hell even 10 dollar coins.....Since i Primarly Metal Detect...The More Coins..the more drops for me to find....Since I started detecting in 2009...I have found over 15 dollars in just Dollar coins...I like finding money :occasion14:

15 one dollar coins? Wow!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The lifetime of a normal coin is about 40 years. The life of a zincoln is between a couple months to 25 years.

George Baldwin

May 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My answer would be to keep up with coins that are lost, destroyed, taken out of circulation. That and to inject dollars into the real economy so as to keep up with population growth. That is actually one of the great advantages of FIAT over hard currency.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread