Why should I get a X-TERRA 70?

Bubby

Feb 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Ok I have been using my DFX now for 14 months and even though I know the machine well enough to change most of my programs, sensitivity, preamp gain, reject this accept that, yada yada yada I just feel I am missing those targets due to iron masking.

I like the DFX especially with the 4x6 coil which is awesome in target seperation and lighter compared to the stock coil.

I been checking out the X-TERRA 70 for some time now and even got the dvd from Minelab on the X-TERRA series and the 70 looks pretty simple to use compared to the DFX. I like the features of the 70 compared to the 30 and 50 and I saw on Detector XXX sales has the 70's Pro pack with 2 coils, 4 year warranty, lesche digger, carry bag and such for $800.00.

Is the X-TERRA 70 really all that it saids to be?
Should I go to the dark side?

Give me some input guys { girls }

Thanks
Bubby

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading quite a bit on the X-70 and yes I'm sure it's worth purchasing. Due to the iron masking it knocks out the other detectors and can pick out the gold and coins quite well. And... it qets great depth.

I did read somewhere's here on TNet where someone got tired of digging the real deep targets only to get a Merc. Well, we're all here to dig so I'll take the depth over not getting the old stuff that's 10-12 inches deep.

The X-70 is on my purchase list, hopefully this year. I can't wait!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I like Minelabs I can't say with certainty that the X-70 would be a better detector than the DFX, especially since you are used to using it. Sure it has Iron Mask which has it's place in detection, but the larger pieces of iron still sound off and it takes experience to tell the difference in tones. The Whites has more adjustments which if your into this thing can be something you'd enjoy. But if you set it up wrong for where your hunting you can miss more than you find.

The X-70 is a great detector and since you have the bug already ya won't be really happy till you get one to play with yourself. I have many machines and enjoy learning each of them, but all are tools to help us have fun. Some are better in certain areas and are only mediocre in others.

I say go for it with no looking back.

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I'm very pleased with my 70. The areas I hunt seem to have a great deal of iron and the X-Terra really does a great job of finding good coins mixed in with the iron. It's also one heck of a great gold finding machine. Add to the fact the available coils from 3 KHZ to 18.75 KHZ in both concentric and DD and you have one very versatile machine. It is very light weight at just 2.9 pounds and the 4 AA batteries it takes seem to last forever. It has a fast learning curve, great pinpointing and gives a very clear signal on good targets. The target ID works awesome. For me, it's the best machine going. The more I use it and learn it, the better I like it and the better my finds get.
There are many choices out there and other very good machines, but I think you should give the 70 a good look before putting down your hard earned money.

Good hunting, John K

OP
OP
B

Bubby

Feb 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Thanks Guys

Sandman you are right about the bug. I am just wondering what the X-terra 70 can do for me in some trashy areas I have.

With the DFX I will dig all those vdi's that have a good signagraph but where is all the jewerly-instead of that @$#% aluminum? As far as a coinshooter the DFX is great but still lacking in the silver coin department - 3 silver dimes to date. Are the silver coins that much deeper than 5"-6"? I figure they must be.

And of course the wife says why do you need another blasted metal detector, you already spent enough on the one you have- I guess she just doesn't understand that I need to find that elusive gold and old silver.

Oh well I guess maybe if I find a good deal on a used 70 she will let me get it.

HH
Bubby

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I purchased the 6" 18.75 DD coil for my 70 and love it. It really gets between the trash and the good signals pop up strong right next to the bad ones. The deepest coin I have found was a dime at just over 6" with this coil. I got a very strong signal on it and am sure it would have located the same coin several inches deeper. People are also raving about the 10.5" 7.5 khz DD coil. They say it has fantastic separation and goes really deep. It will be my next coil for the 70. I'd give the 70 a real hard look.

Good hunting, John K

cyeager

Feb 20, 2007
I have a MXT --- And Now the X-terra 70. Nice. But sometimes questionable. (More squirrely) I have issues with the prospect mode.... but as a newbie I will learn.. My son has the MXT now....

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
A lot of people are raving about the 10.5" 7.5khz DD coil for the X-Terra 70. I have just ordered one for myself. It is supposed to have great separation ability and really get those deep coins and relics.
One of the major pluses of the X-Terra 70 is the coil selection. They run $140 to $150 each and really give you a lot of versatility. The deal with the 5" X 10" 18.75 DD coil runs through June and only adds $100. to the price of the machine.
For the price, the 70 is tough to beat.

Good hunting, John K

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi Bubby
The Minelab X-terra 70 is really easy too operate, and is one
hec of a machine.

This is the Method that i use too set up my machine

#1 Ground Balance the Machine useing the Mode Auto function
bobbing it up & down From 2" to 6" above the Ground

#2 Noise Cancel the Machine useing the Mode Auto function
Hold the coil 1' above the ground

#3 Go into the Menu and set the Sensitivity too Max while holding
the unit 1' above the ground, then press pinpoint detect button
now lower the coil to 2" above the ground, if the numbers start to go
all over the place then go back into the Menu and lower the
Sensitivity setting until the numbers stabilize and are not bounceing
then press pinpoint button again (just remember you need to press
the pinpoint detect button each time)

#4 Turn on the Tracking Ground Balance and start too hunt, if you think
you have located a item turn off Tracking Ground Balance and retest
the site, if the vdi is a positive number then proceed to the
Prospecting Mode and recheck the items location, you will have too
listen to the tones (in Prospecting Mode the Machine is preset up w/ a
Iron Mask of 5 which will knock out alot of the Iron signals) and if the tone is
on the HIGH SIDE goto digging

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Very good advise. The other neat thing you can do is to switch to prospecting mode and trace the item. You can tell if it's large or small. It really works well for spotting those flattened coke cans without digging. The different modes makes the 70 a very precise detector. The more you get to know the 70 and the more experience you gain with it, the better you like it.

Good hunting, John K

OP
OP
B

Bubby

Feb 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites V3
Well I just went out yesterday and bought the X-Terra 70.

I played with it alittle bit in the back yard yesterday [ with manual in hand ] to see how the machine felt and sounded. Used the factory presets to start with. Not bad but still really didn't know what the machine is telling me.

Today I got a 42 vdi and dug down 10'' to get a hunk of iron. Why am I getting iron when the vdi was 42?
Had ground tracking on but I turned it off when I pinpointed , rescan the hole hoping to find a coin but nadda.

Also I read in the manual that if you have ground tracking on , then pinpoint , that ground tracking is automatically disable - is that correct?

Anyway still learning the machine being having it a whole day -lol- ;D

HH
Bubby

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Go to www.findmall.com They have an excellent section on the X-Terra detectors. The FAQFAQ section at the top has so many great tips on the 70 that it will get you on the fast track very quickly. Iron targets can read in the high 40's or the minus numbers. Someone described it as being kind of circular. It won't take you too long to figure the machine out. Once you do you will be amazed at how well it works and the finds you are making. Enjoy !!!

Good hunting, John K

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
First, I went to the dealer's home and they give me many different metal detector for test what I like. I played with each metal detector in his backyard for few hours and X-Terra 70 is very good one what I like, but $$$$. The dealer said that X-Terra 70 is almost same as 50 as easy operation, but 70 is better quality than 50 for deep. So, I choose X-Terra 50 which I can afford it. I checked with Treasure Ads website and I brought it. Past three weeks, I really love the X-Terra 50 very much!

Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread