Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching pennies, nickels, dimes, and half's I have found more than a few coins with holes drilled in them. Like they were on a necklace or something. Whenever I see them I get excited thinking that they would be silver, but they are all modern (1965 and newer). I just toss them back in with the dumps.

I also found a modern nickel with 2 chop marks. It has an "A" on both sides and colored in with red paint. The "A' is deep like it wasn't put there by a hammer and die, it looks like it was made by a press and the coin isn't bent out of shape in anyway. Any ideas what that is for, or is somebody just messin around. I kept the "A" nickel just in case.

Upvote 0

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Last weekend my local MD club had a group hunt. To win a special prize, you had to find a token. The tokens were mostly quarters or nickels with red paint on one side and a letter and number pressed into the other side. Sounds a lot like the one you found in the coin roll.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
Do you dump '65 and newer halves too? HH Mark

No, I save the 40%'s I dump the 1971 and newer. I also saved a very nice 2006 clad half.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love holey coins! I started a Whitman album for holed halves and already have 24 different dates including a 69-D. One, two and four-holed coins have showed up so far.

As far as punched coins, I once found a nickel with markings that led me to another CRHer.

LHMN

Greenie
Oct 12, 2008
St. Paul
Detector(s) used
Ace 205
In my short time of searching I have found only one coin with a hole drilled into it a 52 wheat the hole was right Abes head. I haven’t found any “A”s punched into the nickels I have searched, but a red A with a circle around in stands for anarchy or to the best of my knowledge "not sure if that’s what you have". I did find a 77 penny that had what looked to be the head of JFK stamped into it. It must have taken some precision because it just fits between Lincolns head and the rim of the penny. If I have time I will post it.
LH

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I've seen a few Kennedy's with the holes including a 64 and a 68. Hadn't thought of making an album of them. I did find a 1910 lincoln penny stamped with W.H. Mack. Still got that one. I've found a few of the lincoln state stamped pennies.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions