Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why Wouldn't You...?

Why wouldn't you let the poor, tired detectorists find the housesite? 

You know it's been two attempts and lots of hours and every trick in the book.  Why? 

It sucks to know that somewhere in those deep, Ivy-filled, Tick-breeding woods is a Happy Little Housesite all tucked snug away.

Probably between two Happy Little Trees, as Bob Ross might say if he were to tear through the brush for hours on end Hell Bent and Starry-Eyed.

But after too many Ticks and even some blood dripping to the thirsty earth below from briar wounds

The happy little trees remain unfound.

"And it was only 85 degrees with 100% humidity today," we thought as we retreated to the car to drive the long trip back, heads hung in shame, while munching on the stale Egg McMuffin that had been hastily overlooked in the excitement and anticipation of finding the site that morning at 6 a.m.

We could say that there's always next time, or the real treasure is in the hunt, or some other tired cliche.

But that does nothing to lift the heaviness of heart that comes when such total devotion results in beautiful vintage shotgun casings.

The one consolation--for there is no consolation in a breakfast sandwich ten hours past its prime--is that had Bob Ross gone along, his hairdo would've picked up more ticks than I or Rodeo today.

I'm wringing the sweat out of my clothing now.

Upvote 0
Re: Why Wouldn't You...?

I take it the GPS was not accurate?

Hill Billy said:

GPS was fine. Map was not. First time it's happened so far.

Sorry to hear that, Buckles. Sometimes the best laid plans, eh...?

I got tired of dealing with the ticks,mosquitoes,and the humidity.So to get my fix this summer I got a water detector..Those relics will still be in the woods when the Summer is over and the temps get cooler.So until then I will be in the creek nice and cool.HH.jeff

BuckleBoy said:
Hill Billy said:

You should have approached it with John Walters like style......might have been coppas everywhere. :P

As the sweat runs down our face and empty pockets hang low on a tired body we keep our chin up and take the good with the bad! Better luck next time. 8)

Keep your chin up, Buckleroo! I've been there, done that..minus the ticks. :-\

I've spent days looking for a site. And couldn't come up with anything...even after asking all the neighbors and people who grew up in that area. It still bothers me that I couldn't find it. >:( ???

If you're looking for a site that would have a foundation, ask the neighbors...especially the hunters and outdoorspeople.....they usually know the woods like the back of their hands. :thumbsup:

I was right here Buckyboy....waiting patiently all these years for you to find me...nestled in the overgrown vines and surrounded like a grave....forgotten before my time....waiting for you to rescue my history before Mother Earth pulls me into her heart....Couldnt you hear me calling...my silent sighs....you wandered so very close....

Attachments

• OvergrownCabinBW.jpg
    OvergrownCabinBW.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,126

I cringe at the thought of ticks!!!!! :o

Bummer I know the feeling. Oh well that's what makes our finds worth so much to each and every one of us 8)

that map of yours is not detailed enough ! Could you post a cropped version of the map where the homestead is without giving away the location ? It would be interesting to see what your up against. I have 1870 maps and 1900 maps,amazing the advancement in map making in just those few years.

Sorry you missed the homesite BB. Thanks for posting.....a reality check that not every hunt produces hot and cold running silver but instead blood, sweat, and ticks. Better luck to the brigade next time.

HH

Yep I gotta agree with Jeff, when it gets to darn hot to hunt on land, it's time to hit the water. I can't wait for the
water to warm up here in Ohio. The ground around here is getting like a rock.

Sorry you guys didn't find anything, now get in the water and start posting your water finds.

HH, Ringfinder

Hill Billy said:
BuckleBoy said:
Hill Billy said:

You should have approached it with John Walters like style......might have been coppas everywhere. :P

Yeah, Hilly Billy Feller, maybe you fellers should of. Then, the King George coppas will start popping out of the ground in true John Walter-like style. :P :wink:

Kyle

Hill Billy said:
BuckleBoy said:
Hill Billy said:

Yup, maybe the Brigade would finally excavate a King George coppa. :P :D

Kirk

A Bob Ross reference!!!! I LOVE IT!!!

I cannot believe I would watch that guy on tv as a kid and wonder "How the heck does he do that!!!"

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread :)

Bob Ross was from my area. Some years back I was at an estate sale in Eaton In where an old friend of his lived and had quite the collection of paintings given to her by Mr. Ross. They sold very reasonable and I have always regreted not buying them. I'm talking five to ten bucks each. I'll go bang my head on the wall some more now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back