Penny Plucking, or a quick hunt before work!

jtshombre

Jun 23, 2007
Montana Prairie
Detector(s) used
White's M-6
I'm working 4/12's, so it gives me a little time to hunt before work. It's in the mid 70's with a clear blue sky, and the schnauzer kids were chomping at the bit for some action, so we went to a campground in town that always pays off, but usually in clad, and alot of that Canadian. So my trusty compadres and I loaded up and gave it about an hour and half before work. I managed to find:

9 Canadian pennies
7 U.S. pennies
1 U.S. dime (clad)
2 Quarters, 1 U.S. and the suprise of the day, 1 Canadian Silver 1960 quarter, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Nice hunt, rooster pheasants were crowing all around us, and I saw one hightailing it in the tall grass, hope you all had good hunts! Take care...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jtshombre

jtshombre

Jun 23, 2007
Montana Prairie
Detector(s) used
White's M-6
Re: Penny Plucking, or a quick hunt before work! Part Deux!

Loaded up my companions and went out for a quick hunt before work again yesterday, got about an hour and 15 minutes in before it started to rain and I had to get ready for work. Managed to pluck 21 pennies, 2 dimes and 2 quarters, and 1 key in that short time. The M-6 was singing like an opera star, it's like they played penny pitch up there, they were everywhere. An equal mix of Candian & US pennies, nothing but modern so you all know what that looks like. It rained all yesterday afternoon and this morning, but the sun is trying to peek through, and there's this old school I've been dying to check out, so my be a wet hunt today, oh well, it's my day off, what else would I rather be doing, hummm, not much! Good luck my fellow detectorites, some spectacular finds being made, sure puts my modern to shame!! Good luck to everyone! :thumbsup:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Working 12 hour days and still have time to do a little swinging !!!
I keep telling myself to do that and I'm only working 8's and a 2 hour
commute.

I guess if you can do it on 12's, there's no reason I can't do it on 8"s
I'll just have to get my butt out of bed earlier and give it a go.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Mike

OP
OP
jtshombre

jtshombre

Jun 23, 2007
Montana Prairie
Detector(s) used
White's M-6
Re: Penny Plucking, or a quick hunt before work! Part 3

Dodging showers, I drove the 36 miles to the old country school in a very small town. Someone had mowed part of the grass, but it was tough hunting. I picked about 3 lbs. of trash before I found my 1st penny, but the place has potential I think. I ended up with 11 pennies, including the oldest Lincoln I've found, and the the only silver was a Rosie, 1946D, I was really hoping for Merc since I haven't found one since last summer! The newest coin I found was a 1964, so despite the tall grass and trash, I'm sure there's more silver there! I ended up with:

1 Dime - 1946 D
11 pennies: 1912,1930 S, 1937 D, 1941 D, 1950 S, 1952 S, 1955 D, 1956 D, 1960 D, 1962, & a 1964.

Oh, and two extremely tired mini schnauzers, there were exhausted, but seemed to have lots of fun.

Best of luck mis amigos, some spectacular finds being made, that put mine to shame, but I love looking at them. Take care...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread