Wierd vase? Trash?

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked this up because it was so unique. No marks. Tried to research and couldn't find anything on it. Anyone have any ideas?

image-207150466.jpg

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though there are no marks can you post a pic of the bottom and looking down the opening of the vase. It could help in ID of the glaze and the type of ceramic it's made from.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Any pitting from a salt glaze? If there aren't identifying marks, maybe it's locally made from an art class or something. Even if it turns out to not be relic it's still functional and looks nice, a keeper

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it pottery? Kind of looks like malachite (not the Czech malachite glass) or even marble. I agree we need more pics.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks just like a vase I found about 10 years ago for $2 at a resale shop LOL.
The one I have appears to be mixed, non-ferrous metal with an acid+applied heat patina.

I noticed yours has a cork(?) on its base. If possible, remove the cork and see if there is a makers mark
like the one pictured below. (I'm still trying to find more info). Awhile back I took mine to an
antique dealer and he offered me $75 for it. . . which I declined. He thought the vase I had might
date early 20th-century. This is about all I know.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that has some additional info.

Vase bottom.JPG

Vase.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks just like a vase I found about 10 years ago for $2 at a resale shop LOL.
The one I have appears to be mixed, non-ferrous metal with an acid+applied heat patina.

I noticed yours has a cork(?) on its base. If possible, remove the cork and see if there is a makers mark
like the one pictured below. (I'm still trying to find more info). Awhile back I took mine to an
antique dealer and he offered me $75 for it. . . which I declined. He thought the vase I had might
date early 20th-century. This is about all I know.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that has some additional info.

View attachment 941763

View attachment 941764
I don't think that is cork on the bottom. It appears to be the color of the clay used to make the piece. Reminds me of N.C. made pieces but not quite. I'm unsure still. The shape looked like many Asian metalware vases when I originally looked at it, but I figured O would have mentioned that from the get go, if that were the case.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Its like a felt bottom, not cork. And no stamp:(. Any idea if it's worth listing or what title/ description I can use? I have no idea on this item.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
So any ideas on how to list this? Lol

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We still don't know what it's made of. I thought the bottom was the color of the clay but you said it's a piece if felt. What is this made made of? Is it ceramic or metal? I would pull the piece of felt off and look for a mark under it. I've found many a mark hidden under felt and cork add ons.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
We still don't know what it's made of. I thought the bottom was the color of the clay but you said it's a piece if felt. What is this made made of? Is it ceramic or metal? I would pull the piece of felt off and look for a mark under it. I've found many a mark hidden under felt and cork add ons.

It's not metal. I did pull the felt off- nothing under it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me I'd list it as Art's & Crafts Era Studio Art Pottery Matte Green Mottled Bud Vase, just based on the look of it. It could be a cheap modern made piece too though. Hard to tell from a photo.

BTW- We have an Ebay Forum now! :occasion14: All Things eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread