All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info just showed it to the wife :thumbsup:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
Thanks for the link Jeep ! :thumbsup:

I've been looking for a replacement for Levi's ever since they closed their last plant here in the U.S. - will give 'em a try !

Diggem'

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know Levis were not made here. Where are they being made now?

hmmm...that is tragic

great link for American made clothes tho!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:

hmmm...that is tragic

Africa and China too I believe. Personally I can't afford $50+ for a pair of jeans, so I will stick to the thrift stores for my jeans. Besides, until I lose some weight I refuse to buy any decent new clothing.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Levis from when I was younger. Heck they last forever. Even at $50 if you own them for 15 years you got a great deal on your money.

my oldest Levis are about 15 years old...yea and they are almost ready to be made into short shorts! oh yea, jean shorts rock :laughing9:

now I was in and out of those jeans as I gained some weight, but lost it so now they fit again :)

I never get rid of Levis. Some day you can fit in them again, lol, and they will be there waiting for ya.

but it is sad they are not american made at all anymore...ugh

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
FarmerChick said:

hmmm...that is tragic

When Levi's announced a few years ago that they were closing their last manufacturing center here in the US, I wrote them and asked them a) why they were doing this, and b) once they did, what what reason anyone should have to prefer their jeans over any of the other MIC jeans out there.

They never responded to (b), but their answer to (a) was "to remain competitive". Well, since their price at the store hasn't dropped one red cent, i have to presume that "remain competitive" meant on Wall Street (in terms of ROI to their shareholders), NOT on Main street. I wear Rustlers now. At less than 1/2 the price I can wear out 2 - 3 pairs for the same as I used to spend on Levi's..........

Diggem'

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Diggemall said:
FarmerChick said:

hmmm...that is tragic

When Levi's announced a few years ago that they were closing their last manufacturing center here in the US, I wrote them and asked them a) why they were doing this, and b) once they did, what what reason anyone should have to prefer their jeans over any of the other MIC jeans out there.

They never responded to (b), but their answer to (a) was "to remain competitive". Well, since their price at the store hasn't dropped one red cent, i have to presume that "remain competitive" meant on Wall Street (in terms of ROI to their shareholders), NOT on Main street. I wear Rustlers now. At less than 1/2 the price I can wear out 2 - 3 pairs for the same as I used to spend on Levi's..........

Diggem'

Ditto

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, while I believe in buying American when I can, we all are going to have to stop wearing all kinds of jeans - even the ones made in America.

Main reason:

We no longer produce all the material to make jeans. Much of what goes into the denim is..............imported.

We started doing that when the unions died. Though - thankfully, the American Cotton Growers is making a heck of a push to change that. When you buy American-made jeans, look for the ACG logo.

Beth

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
mrs.oroblanco said:
Well, while I believe in buying American when I can, we all are going to have to stop wearing all kinds of jeans - even the ones made in America.

Main reason:

We no longer produce all the material to make jeans. Much of what goes into the denim is..............imported.

We started doing that when the unions died. Though - thankfully, the American Cotton Growers is making a heck of a push to change that. When you buy American-made jeans, look for the ACG logo.

Beth

Beth;

Go to the All American Jean web site. Pick a jean style. Down below the ordering info, select the "traceability" link...............

Diggem'

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall,

I did do that - thanks.

You will notice that #2 on that tracebility link is the American Cotton Growers, that I was talking about.

My point was - they (the ACG) are trying to make sure their logo, or initials, are on anything cotton made in the US. So, if you are at a store, and you see that name, you know you are getting American made cotton. The numbering system actually stems from their efforts.

So, you can also look at other things besides jeans - or a specific brand of jeans - if that ACG is on the tag, its American cotton.

Beth

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
mrs.oroblanco said:
Diggemall,

I did do that - thanks.

You will notice that #2 on that tracebility link is the American Cotton Growers, that I was talking about.

My point was - they (the ACG) are trying to make sure their logo, or initials, are on anything cotton made in the US. So, if you are at a store, and you see that name, you know you are getting American made cotton. The numbering system actually stems from their efforts.

So, you can also look at other things besides jeans - or a specific brand of jeans - if that ACG is on the tag, its American cotton.

Beth

Excellent ! I learned something today ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back in da day U.S.A. meant here but years ago japan made up a town named USA with no periods behind the letters so people thought it wuz made here. :read2:

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
the rule of thumb is; engineering costs overseas are about on par with that of america... but, labor costs are substantially cheaper. So, after you design the product, you then create the assembly line for labor in china. More and more businesses are going to china for labor. I have to admit that I've done it myself. I hate that fact. But, keep in mind, not all labor in the states are outsourced yet.... but it's only a matter of time before they do.

Eventually, the labor sources might start living in homes that look like cubicles, just like they have in China.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread