mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I volunteer if you pay me big & there's no written contract, oh & laundry service too. on second thought, I volunteer you TT

Old dog, we got drawn once when we lived in WA. filled the freezer plus some. use to hunt them on ST. Helens.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Cyn & Mrs. Oro, Im' still guzzling that coffee.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the mouse story.

The year we spent the entire summer in Alaska, we managed to bring a deer mouse along (unbeknown to us, of course), who, by the time we were halfway through the Yukun, had made quite a nice nest out of our toilet paper supply.

We were traveling in a Ranger pick-up and sleeping in the back or on the ground, so, one night while camping near Francis Lake, we decided to get her out of there. We did, and let her go by the creek.

This huge owl came swooping down, and she ran back to our campfire, and us, shaking and looking at us like - PLEASE, don't do this.

Bottom line, we set her up in the cab of the truck, with a couple of bottle caps for food and water, she had a litter of babies and they spent the summer with us.

On the way back from Alaska, our tranny went in Billings, Montana, so we had to park the truck in at the garage while we were waiting for parts and repairs. (a week) Obviously, she decided to take her family and leave, because when we picked up the truck after repairs, all were gone.

Gee, I hope she went away on her own - hmmmmmm.

How long do deer mice live anyway? :icon_scratch:

B

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
oh Mrs. O what suckers we are! that's why strays end up at my place. good story.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, mamabear, I know - the strays do end up here - and I've also noticed that people's "drop-offs" end up here, too.

:o

B

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
back in the early 70's I was living outside of Mammoth CA. use to hike quite a bit up there. one day I hiked up a little too far for the time of day, was starting to get dark when I was coming down. I was cold (it was snowy) & more than a little uncomfortable. off to my right I heard a strange howling like noise, then I hear it off to the left, & again to my right. kept it up getting closer & closer to me all the time. didn't know what it was, but was sure glad when I got to my friends cabin cuz they were getting too close! When I told one of the old timers about it he said it was a pair of wolverings. hadn't seen any around there for awhile, but he knew they use to be there, & said being spring, they probably had little ones & I was in their territory, & darned lucky to have gotten out in one piece. never did hike back up there again. but I hope they are still there.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Beth,

The best info I could find came from an college text on small indigenous rodents...
It says that a deer mouse life span can be as much as 6 to 8 years if left unmolested.

Hope that helps. I suspect someone raised some in a cage somewhere.

Thom

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I had no idea mice could live that long. I wonder how many babies it would produce in that life time?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
rofl after old dog's post about them being left unmolested you ask how many babies they might have.....sry, just cracked me up!

I do not know how many babies they might have in a lifetime but a LOT....they have a pretty short gestation period if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
a few years ago while fishing my daughter & her girlfriend were watching their ducks in the pond by them, when an owl swept down & grabbed one not more than 6 feet in front of them. they said they were yellin and screaming but it didn't let go. said it happened in a matter of seconds. scared the puddin out of them

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Cyn yup, that's me oblivious! it's genetic too both of my poor daughters don't have a chance! but we always get a good laugh!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's pretty long for a little rodent - well, at least her and her babies probably survived, and just bailed out, 'cause the regular feeding times were over.

She (mama mouse) was so cute - would sit right by the campfire (after she figured out we were protecting her), and after her babies were up and around and could get out of the little box they were in with her, they came out, too. She would get out of the box, go somewhere under the dash, and outside with us, popping out next to the radiator! (and go back inside the truck in reverse order).

B

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
wow! I am guessing you would be a very safe person to ride with.....if those eggs could survive then the baby birds....obviously not driving like some of those folks out there! Ok...tell the truth...you didn't really learn to drive that well in CA, right?? rofl sry, couldn't resist! love ya lady!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Somebody plant a nest in her truck before she heads this way so everyone is safe!! :thumbsup: :wink: I can't wait!! :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading this post, but have not had the opportunity to sit down and get my posts typed up.

Here's a few....

I live in the swamps of Louisiana, and the snakes are bad here. Long as you have dogs, they will kill the snakes and raising guinea fowl keeps the snake population down. Guineas are known to peck a snake to death. Cotton mouth/moccasin have a odor...dogs can sniff them out.

This particular day, I was keeping a eye on a cow that was ready to give birth. Cattle can find the darnest places to hide to have their calves. Most like to go into the briar thickets along the river bank. She had been up & down all morning, I was viewing her through binoculars from the house looking towards the river. After several hours it was time to go check on her, as I hopped on my ATV, I could hear her bawling up a storm, something was wrong. The cattle dog, Ike (excellent snake killer) knows he is not allowed around cattle with newborns, so he kept his distance. As I got closer, the cow was pawing the ground, shaking her head, mooing like a bansee . She was fighting a cottonmouth and trying to protect her baby. I grabbed the longest cypress limb on the ground and took one whack at the snake, I hit him but the stick broke...it was about 10-12 ft long, once it broke it was about 8'. The snake then came after me, I kept backing up and slamming the stick on him. Not much more backing up to do or I would fall in the river. I was petrified, my adrenaline was at top notch. When the snake did not move anymore, I whacked him more to make sure it was good & dead. I then loaded him on the trailer and hauled up to the barn, I wanted to find out just what the guineas would do. I swung the snake and it went spinning in the air, guineas scattered, then they all came back very slowly, stretching the necks staring at this strange thing. It was funny, there were guineas surrounding the snake, his tail moved and guineas jumped straight up. Then they started their pecking. People who own guinea fowl would only understand what I'm saying here.

But, my knees were knocking so bad, that it took about 45 minutes for me to quit shaking from that attack.

The next snake adventure was blackberry picking...I made sure I beat the ground and the surrounding area to scare off the snakes. Ranger and Ike both will seek, find and kill. This snake was in the tree, dropped out and bounced off my left shoulder, before he hit the ground Ike had him. Whew....another close call.

Another time riding the ATV in the woods, Ranger grabbed one on the trail. As he shook the snake he let go, it came swinging at me, I had to duck to avoid being hit in the face.

When I was younger, I was with my brother running trot/trout lines. As JC was checking the lines, I was in the back of the boat. As we were edging towards the bank, JC said "Don't move, when I say duck, you duck" He then yell "Duck" and swung the paddle. Just above my head, hanging on a tree branch was a snake.

When I was younger, I stepped over a fallen pine tree, I felt the bite...I had stepped on a non-poisonous snake. It was not fun being hauled to the ER for snake bite.

My MIL cutting grass with a push mower was going in and out of the azalea bush, she felt the sting and brushed it away, thinking wasp...it was a garter snake.

Ever see a puff adder? or whatever those darn things are called. They coil up, lift their head and start hissing and their neck are swells up like a cobra. I was on the lawn mower, I stopped it, shut the engine off, stood up on the seat, then moved to the top of the mower...it was higher and started screaming bloody murder. Now, this is in the country, no close next door neighbors...but I was heard for a long distance. I was rescued!!!

When I have time later, I will tell of the adventures in FL with a rabid coon attack.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
River Rat I have been waiting for you to post somethin! knew it would be good, & I wasn't dissapointed!! cottonmouths scare the puddin outa me. they are a nasty critter with a nasty temper! there's one in a swamp at the far end of our property. according to conservation agents we don't have them up this far, but when you see the mouth, there can be no mistaking it. I think they would have to carry me out in a body bag if I had your encounters with these snakes!! & you hunt in these snake infested areas! you are indeed a brave woman!!
am anxiously awaiting your next post.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
this story isn't about a wild "animal" but close enough. My Pop & I were out huntin morels by the Mississippi. we had been out most of the morn, & he was tired so he sat down on a fallen log. (ok you all know what is comin) next thing I know he is running & screamin & cursin better than a sailer! he sat on a yellow jacket nest! I took off in the opposite direction but we met up at the car, with most of his clothes off & lost in the woods somewhere. luckily he didn't have a bad reaction to them, & we can laugh about it now. He sure sounded like a wild animal though!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol Sure glad you were able to keep your sense of humor for that one....crimson would be an understatment I would think! Great story...sure glad it was not one of mine....that does NOT sound like fun!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
River Rat said:
Ever see a puff adder? or whatever those darn things are called. They coil up, lift their head and start hissing and their neck are swells up like a cobra. I was on the lawn mower, I stopped it, shut the engine off, stood up on the seat, then moved to the top of the mower...it was higher and started screaming bloody murder. Now, this is in the country, no close next door neighbors...but I was heard for a long distance. I was rescued!!!

:wink: RR

I had 3 as pets when I was younger, cool snakes kinda look like a rattler too :tongue3: Took one to school in 5th grade and it got loose, boy was that nun mad at me. Bet she still thinks of me still. Can you save me the next one? please please please :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread