Will Tesoro develop a new detector with Visual ID?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone know if Tesoro has any plans on coming out with a detector that Visual Id? The Cortes and Deleon has been out for quite some time. Tesoro should keep up with the competition or they will be left behind. Does anyone know if Tesoro is developing a new product? I like their machines with their Lifetime Warranty and lightweight units, but do hope they can keep things interesting by introducing something new .

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Will Tesoro develope a new detector with Visual ID?

Hi Newfiehunter.

Remember that new does not necessarily mean better. Tesoro has a long running history of only updating their detectors when they have a significant new development that warrants a new detector. Advances in technology in this field are very slow. Sure, you can update screens or add a bell and whistle, but when it comes to actual detector technology (finding metal in the ground), advances are very, very slow.

Too many companies come out with new models that are only minor tweakings of older units. People think "new and improved" means "new and much improved" But it often only means "new and slightly improved".

Tesoro's reputation is to come out with new units when there is a reason to, and not before. They also make sure the new unit is working 100% before they release it, unlike some who release early and then spend the next six months working out the bugs.

So you are very correct that Tesoro is slow to come out with new units. That is a good thing. Believe me, I always look for a new Tesoro too! But Tesoro respects its long standing customers enough not to try to snow them with fancy marketing. Can they lose business because of this? Sure. But when people find the newest and best is neither, it tends to end up on Ebay or the closet, with the reliable, lightweight Tesoro the weapon of choice once again. :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smudge is correct in this. Tesoro might be having one in R&R, but we won't hear about it till its ready. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Smudge!

You made some excellent points with your response. The reason I asked this question was because the Cortes with visual identification doesn't seem to get much respect. Most users complain about the depth, lack of identification on coins with the display, and a display screen which according to some, is too small to see. They also say it has been on the market for over 10 years and is obsolete. I have the Cortes and haven't used it yet in the field. Also, have a Vaquero which was the latest in the Tesoro line that was introduced a few years ago. Both detectors give good responses to targets I've tested. However, my main unit is the CZ5 which is my primary detector.

So, since the Cortes seems to be considered obsolete by some, that was why I was wondering if Tesoro would update or develop something new.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Newfiehunter said:
Hi Smudge!

You made some excellent points with your response. The reason I asked this question was because the Cortes with visual identification doesn't seem to get much respect. Most users complain about the depth, lack of identification on coins with the display, and a display screen which according to some, is too small to see. They also say it has been on the market for over 10 years and is obsolete. I have the Cortes and haven't used it yet in the field. Also, have a Vaquero which was the latest in the Tesoro line that was introduced a few years ago. Both detectors give good responses to targets I've tested. However, my main unit is the CZ5 which is my primary detector.

So, since the Cortes seems to be considered obsolete by some, that was why I was wondering if Tesoro would update or develop something new.

You ask some excellent questions. I would only point out that there is a tendency to rely on screens too much. That is to say, when the detector highlights "pulltab" or "dime" we tend to believe that is exactly what is down there. But we often forget (myself included) that the detector is really telling you "I think there is a pulltab down there." Big difference. And the stories of one guy passing a signal because his TID said "junk" and the guy him with a beep-and-dig pulling up a 24k gold ring, well, that's more common than you might think.

Also, target identification becomes less reliable the deeper the target becomes. It makes the detector guess more, and that is true for most detectors. I certainly hope those units costing $1000 or more can give you more accurate ID's at greater depths, but most detectors have a hard time identifying any target over 6" deep.

Also, some consider a detector obsolete because a replacement hasn't come out in "x" years. So again, ask yourself, where is the new technology that warrants a new machine. Too many times, once the hype and excitement of a new detector subsides, they often find that it doesn't function much better than the earlier version, if at all.

And having said all that, I am starting to hear so distant rumblings and smoke signals from Arizona that indicate you might be getting your wish sometime this year. I can;t wait to see if that's true and if so, what it is! :love10:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an always interesting – and perpetual conversation. Since the Companies conception, the Gifford philosophy at Tesoro has always been, “Give the customer the best possible value for their dollar.” To the Gifford’s, that always meant do it right the first time and build them to last a lifetime.

Now that Vince Gifford is running the Company, you can bet your pulse delay there are new boards walking around the secret Tesoro test unit embedded deep inside Thumb Butte. Vince, like his Father, is an engineer at heart – not a rock star. He doesn’t care about bells and whistles, chrome and sparkle.

When Tesoro upgrades it technologies, they do it for one reason – To give their customer the best possible value for their hard-earned metal detecting dollar.

I feel a disturbance in the force.. 8)

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I think most all the dedicated tesoro users are anxiously anticipating the anouncement of a new tesoro, myself included. It seems to be a recuring topic on a few of the forums I visit.

I just hope it isn't a I.D. machine, enough of those out there already.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Designing a new computerized machine is expensive, displays are expensive, and chips are expensive, and all the extra batteries are heavy. But who knows, Tesoro might pull a stunner.

skysensor

Feb 6, 2012
Rochester, Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a machine based on the Vaquero, but with an analog meter ala the CZ3D, would be pretty interesting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
skysensor said:
I think a machine based on the Vaquero, but with an analog meter ala the CZ3D, would be pretty interesting.
Yes i like that..................analog... I don't like those digital screens.......

Allcav

Jun 14, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter said:
Hi Smudge!

You ask some excellent questions. I would only point out that there is a tendency to rely on screens too much. That is to say, when the detector highlights "pulltab" or "dime" we tend to believe that is exactly what is down there. But we often forget (myself included) that the detector is really telling you "I think there is a pulltab down there." Big difference. And the stories of one guy passing a signal because his TID said "junk" and the guy him with a beep-and-dig pulling up a 24k gold ring, well, that's more common than you might think.

Also, target identification becomes less reliable the deeper the target becomes. It makes the detector guess more, and that is true for most detectors. I certainly hope those units costing $1000 or more can give you more accurate ID's at greater depths, but most detectors have a hard time identifying any target over 6" deep.

Also, some consider a detector obsolete because a replacement hasn't come out in "x" years. So again, ask yourself, where is the new technology that warrants a new machine. Too many times, once the hype and excitement of a new detector subsides, they often find that it doesn't function much better than the earlier version, if at all.

And having said all that, I am starting to hear so distant rumblings and smoke signals from Arizona that indicate you might be getting your wish sometime this year. I can;t wait to see if that's true and if so, what it is! :love10:

I agree with you. The screens are a cruch. Too many people watching that screen and the screens tell them not to dig. Then here come Mr. V right behind them and digs a 1891 seated dime. I hear this story at least 2 times a week. People selling the Etrac and buying the V the next day. Pissed because their 1549 dollar detector was beat down by the 446 dollar wizard. Keep your eyes and ears on the ground and pound away the comp.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I don't like screens at all, but that would be a lot better than a digital screen

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
The Golden UMax is multi tone if I'm not mistaken. Never used one but I would like to. I tried a Cibola but just couldn't get much depth out of her. 5 inches tops on coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions