Will the next series of detectors ruin our hobby???

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I ask this is that metal detectors have gotten so advanced that we may no longer be able to call this Treasure HUNTING but rather Treasure GIVING.!!! I have been detecting for 45 years now. I've seen every new detector that has been since 1968. We started with the BFO type Detectors, then the TR type detectors, then the TR Disc detectors which have evolved into what we use today. Detectors that can find a dime 12" down. Ones that have screens that help to ID your Find before you dig it.
Now we have detectors that can find a Large Cent at 2' down. I know because I saw it happen in the field literally.
The thought of the next generation of detectors I think will make it so easy to find stuff at incredible depths will take away the thrill of the "HUNT". That is what drives this Hobby/Profession. The thrill of the HUNT. The not knowing with the imagined possible finds we will make each time we go out digging. I fear the next series of detectors will take that aspect away from this great hobby. It is with this said that await your replies. PEACE:RONB :coffee2:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be more worried about certain laws and agendas that are being passed instead of new detectors.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're putting the cart before the horse here. Why worry about something that hasn't happened?

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
Because if you don't you are just part of the problem. If you don't care about rights soon there will be none. Don't fall victim the the wool being pulled over your eyes, or do, I don't care more left for me when this all comes down.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because if you don't you are just part of the problem. If you don't care about rights soon there will be none. Don't fall victim the the wool being pulled over your eyes, or do, I don't care more left for me when this all comes down.

Don't assume who I am answering. Did I say anything about RIGHTS?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason I ask this is that metal detectors have gotten so advanced that we may no longer be able to call this Treasure HUNTING but rather Treasure GIVING.!!! I have been detecting for 45 years now. I've seen every new detector that has been since 1968. We started with the BFO type Detectors, then the TR type detectors, then the TR Disc detectors which have evolved into what we use today. Detectors that can find a dime 12" down. Ones that have screens that help to ID your Find before you dig it.
Now we have detectors that can find a Large Cent at 2' down. I know because I saw it happen in the field literally.
The thought of the next generation of detectors I think will make it so easy to find stuff at incredible depths will take away the thrill of the "HUNT". That is what drives this Hobby/Profession. The thrill of the HUNT. The not knowing with the imagined possible finds we will make each time we go out digging. I fear the next series of detectors will take that aspect away from this great hobby. It is with this said that await your replies. PEACE:RONB :coffee2:

No, I don't see new technology making it "easy" to recover lost treasure. If anything, it is going to continue to get more difficult as detectable and unexplored areas decrease, and anti-detecting laws, permitting, and competition increase. You are going to have to work much harder to identify open areas, and research will - as now, be the real key to success.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with Red, and I think the challenge will always come down to gaining access to sites with the goodies before the next guy!
laws and regs notwithstanding!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Barker, I think you are wrong about the technological leaps from the BFO days to the present. The blazing fast improvements were from 1965 to 1985-ish. Yes in those years you had a DINASOUR if you didn't update to the "latest greatest" every few years. But think about it now: even machines like the Explore are now 15 yrs. old, etc.... So no, it's not as pronounced as you're painting it to be. The "steps" of improvements became much lesser in recent decades to nothing more than whistles and bells. There's been some sort of laws-of-physics brick wall hit.

So for example the "large cent at 2 ft." you allude to might be possible with some sort of nugget machine, but no, no ones going to be using that setup in coin-hunting scenarios (parks, schools, etc...). They lack ability to tell iron versus non iron.

I sure wish we had a next generation fun improvement, like something that pushed well over a foot while retaining good TID/disc. Or something that tells aluminum apart from gold etc... But no, it's not here. So as Jason in Enid says: you're putting the cart before the horse. You're worrying about something that's not here yet, nor has any hint of being near.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't see new technology making it "easy" to recover lost treasure. If anything, it is going to continue to get more difficult as detectable and unexplored areas decrease, and anti-detecting laws, permitting, and competition increase. You are going to have to work much harder to identify open areas, and research will - as now, be the real key to success.

if your a tesoro user I don't see any thing, new in the future. tesoro runs the oldest technology out there. for the highest price..even bounty hunter gives you more information on a target for less...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if your a tesoro user I don't see any thing, new in the future. tesoro runs the oldest technology out there. for the highest price..even bounty hunter gives you more information on a target for less...

Come on Lift, find a new song to sing. This one is played out.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like your detectors...all played out.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Go covert! Shh..I didn't say that..carry on.
"Black Detecting" some of us here do go lights out within reason (no battlefields, cemeteries, state/federL land..you get the gist)

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For a "Whites guy" to bag on another brand for being outdated and overpriced…that's funny right there!

Come on Lift, find a new song to sing. This one is played out.
Agreed!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they come up with a detector that can tell aluminum from gold and an cloaking device, I'm all in! Sign me up!

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; I'll try to reply in order of these Posts above ok. First is that if any of you have read my recent Posts regarding the banning of detecting on DCR beaches in MA you would know that I am embroiled in a Petition to stop this from becoming an Enforced Law with great success so far thanks to everyone here that has Signed the Petition. You'll find that thread at the top of the Posts List in the blue section of the General Discussion Forum ok. So you see that I am very active in fighting for our Rights ok. If you have not Signed this Petition then PLEASE do so ok.
Second is that I am not disparaging ANY Brand of detector ok. I am talking about FUTURE detectors to come. As I stated in my Post, yes I did watch my digging partner recover a Large Cent from two feet literally. I was as shocked as anyone here ok. He did it with an Explorer on dry field sod so no the coin did not "slip down" in any manner ok.
Third is that I agree that most "advances" in recent years have been basically "bells and whistles".
Fourth is that as TOM_IN_CA said the "advances" we all want are not here "YET". The same thing has been said about "COUNTLESS" other inventions. That is why I am talking about this Hobby/Profession "BECOMING" far to easy as to render it as Treasure "Giving" rather than the Treasure "Hunting" we know today ok.
I hope this clarifies this Thread ok. You guys are right in that WE all must fight to protect our Rights of which as you see I am already an active participant ok. I await your replies. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; I'll try to reply in order of these Posts above ok. First is that if any of you have read my recent Posts regarding the banning of detecting on DCR beaches in MA you would know that I am embroiled in a Petition to stop this from becoming an Enforced Law with great success so far thanks to everyone here that has Signed the Petition. You'll find that thread at the top of the Posts List in the blue section of the General Discussion Forum ok. So you see that I am very active in fighting for our Rights ok. If you have not Signed this Petition then PLEASE do so ok.
Second is that I am not disparaging ANY Brand of detector ok. I am talking about FUTURE detectors to come. As I stated in my Post, yes I did watch my digging partner recover a Large Cent from two feet literally. I was as shocked as anyone here ok. He did it with an Explorer on dry field sod so no the coin did not "slip down" in any manner ok.
Third is that I agree that most "advances" in recent years have been basically "bells and whistles".
Fourth is that as TOM_IN_CA said the "advances" we all want are not here "YET". The same thing has been said about "COUNTLESS" other inventions. That is why I am talking about this Hobby/Profession "BECOMING" far to easy as to render it as Treasure "Giving" rather than the Treasure "Hunting" we know today ok.
I hope this clarifies this Thread ok. You guys are right in that WE all must fight to protect our Rights of which as you see I am already an active participant ok. I await your replies. PEACE:RONB

Wait, who is banning beach hunting in mass.? Have you checked your riparian rights laws? If its the enviro-nazis, I am not sure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Have you checked your riparian rights laws? .....

Muckybottles, here's the wiki definition of that: Riparian water rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has often been suggested as a way to detect at supposedly off-limits beaches. *IF* the water were navigable waterways, right? So that no matter if the beach were state or federal administering that beach, and no matter if they personally had a "no detecting rule" , then it wouldn't apply to the inter-tidal wet sand zone.

I suppose the singular exception would be shipwreck lease type things (which are only very small select stretches, and probably only in a few spots in FL alone).

But the problem with trying to invoke this, is that some legal beaver on their end might say that .... yes .... the "riparian rights" does indeed allow you or I to walk there. However, the rules of conduct, they might try-to-argue, is still theirs to control. Or for that matter, if it becomes a rule of "international" laws (or federal level, for USA riparian waters), do you *really* want to open up that can of worms, where they might simply try to say then, that ARPA therefore applies ? :icon_scratch: :tongue3:

Still though, it's an interesting legal concept that I bet would deflect most all busy-bodies. If you printed out the laws for what the definition is, I bet the average ranger or busy-body would have utterly no answer for that, and likely leave you alone. Might work to get you out of a jam, is what I'm saying. As the average person would have no in-depth knowledge of how that applies to something like this. But it seems workable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread