Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well in that video it looks like the ..First Texas.... Fisher & Teknetics.. detectors took first place.......... One thing is that........... First Texas Instrument's.... has been around before most other detector makers............ And are always ahead in there technology...............I think that First texas was the first company to put out the digital calculator far ahead of any other company.............So that video does not surprise me at all..............Good video ........................

chainmail

Greenie
Jun 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was the one who posted the video and conducted the tests. I’m fed up with manufacturers making unsubstantiated claims or people writing up reports only to find out they are connected to a particular company to boost sales.
I have asked random people at rallies to test out their machines, and I am trying to establish which machines will find it, and more importantly whether they would dig it

The gold appears to show up as iron on many of the machines tested, so perhaps the discrimination has knocked it out completely. The MXT was a real surprise as I expected it to be better on gold than the DFX, as I have already found a 3500 year old gold hoard with my DFX, using an all metal programme in 15Khz.
Although not an easy task and took several months of searching, I found that the gold only registered on the screen every 3-4 sweeps and showed up at 24 briefly before disappearing. I have now tried several MXT’s just to check whether there was a fault with one, which there was not.
The XLT also failed on the hoard site, as at the time I owned both machines and when the DFX located a piece I ran the XLT over, only to find it remained silent. Which I concluded, was because the XLT ran at 6.5 KHz and you need 15Khz or above for gold
The next machine I intend to test is the new CTX 3030, I hope it gives a better response than the Etrac.

The Poulton Hoard.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq!

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was the one who posted the video and conducted the tests. I’m fed up with manufacturers making unsubstantiated claims or people writing up reports only to find out they are connected to a particular company to boost sales.
I have asked random people at rallies to test out their machines, and I am trying to establish which machines will find it, and more importantly whether they would dig it

The gold appears to show up as iron on many of the machines tested, so perhaps the discrimination has knocked it out completely. The MXT was a real surprise as I expected it to be better on gold than the DFX, as I have already found a 3500 year old gold hoard with my DFX, using an all metal programme in 15Khz.
Although not an easy task and took several months of searching, I found that the gold only registered on the screen every 3-4 sweeps and showed up at 24 briefly before disappearing. I have now tried several MXT’s just to check whether there was a fault with one, which there was not.
The XLT also failed on the hoard site, as at the time I owned both machines and when the DFX located a piece I ran the XLT over, only to find it remained silent. Which I concluded, was because the XLT ran at 6.5 KHz and you need 15Khz or above for gold
The next machine I intend to test is the new CTX 3030, I hope it gives a better response than the Etrac.

View attachment 643203

I found this video to be well made and look forward to any follow ups you do. Welcome to TNET mate. Hutch.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What i could tell from your video is that........... First Texas ..and the Fisher & Tek.T2 out did all other brands that was tested............

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last thing I would ever do is watch metal detecting videos on youtube. There are too many and I don't have the time, or interest to separate the good from the bad. However, that being said, I will watch one here and just hope for the best :laughing7:

Interesting video to say the least, and it should teach many here the most expensive is not always the best. The second lesson is dig everything you lazy people :laughing7:

I use an Ace250, that by far not the best detector out there, but I do find things. This video further demonstrates it's not always the machine, but the person using it. Let's say an item is 4" down, I don't care what machine you use, hear a beep and dig it up.

There isn't a machine on the market that is 100% accurate, if there was, there would be only 1 brand selling :laughing9:

So in closing; boo-hoo, to all those that may miss something because your machine made an error, or didn't give you that sweet signal :laughing7:

Last edited:

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some years ago, I had successfully tried to hunt with a "wrong" ground balance set on my XLT, just to avoid missing high value pure nickel coins. During a memorable beach hunt, with a very offsett GB, I found two gold bracelets (18k, total 22 gram). Those read both '-3" !

Studying further, I noticed, and am certainly not the only one, that not only gold could be disced out by discriminating iron, but also that chain gold, or thin gold, or micro jewelry, can be tuned out by
a correct ground balance setting in difficult soil conditions.

So detectors with a "tracking" gb system will be more prone to ignore small gold than detectors with a...fixed GB setting. This could partly explain the success of the Compadre as far as (thin) gold is concerned, or explain why Sovereigns explorers and Etracs do not find chain gold (I am speaking about 18k and I own two Minelab units).

I continued to buy detectors with manual gb options, but I am very carefull to set the GB according to my experience and the targets I want to find, NOT according to the ground conditions.

HH

Grumpy

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last thing I would ever do is watch metal detecting videos on youtube. There are too many and I don't have the time, or interest to separate the good from the bad. However, that being said, I will watch one here and just hope for the best :laughing7:

Interesting video to say the least, and it should teach many here the most expensive is not always the best. The second lesson is dig everything you lazy people :laughing7:

I use an Ace250, that by far not the best detector out there, but I do find things. This video further demonstrates it's not always the machine, but the person using it. Let's say an item is 4" down, I don't care what machine you use, hear a beep and dig it up.

There isn't a machine on the market that is 100% accurate, if there was, there would be only 1 brand selling :laughing9:

So in closing; boo-hoo, to all those that may miss something because your machine made an error, or didn't give you that sweet signal :laughing7:
Yes l agree with you on all counts. there is an awful lot of "the machine is only as good as the user" involved as well. the video makes you think though. Hutch.

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years ago, I had successfully tried to hunt with a "wrong" ground balance set on my XLT, just to avoid missing high value pure nickel coins. During a memorable beach hunt, with a very offsett GB, I found two gold bracelets (18k, total 22 gram). Those read both '-3" !

Studying further, I noticed, and am certainly not the only one, that not only gold could be disced out by discriminating iron, but also that chain gold, or thin gold, or micro jewelry, can be tuned out by
a correct ground balance setting in difficult soil conditions.

So detectors with a "tracking" gb system will be more prone to ignore small gold than detectors with a...fixed GB setting. This could partly explain the success of the Compadre as far as (thin) gold is concerned, or explai why Sovereigns explorers and Etracs do not fnd chain gold (I am speaking about 18k and I own two Minelab units).

I continued to buy detectors with manual gb options, but I am very carefull to set the GB according to my experience and the targets I want to find, NOT according to the ground conditions.

HH

Grumpy

Good reply my friend. Hutch.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Keppy, Texas Instruments invented the first electronic calculator. First Texas Products is the parent company of the metal detector lines you mention.. Different folks. ( I have done work in the home of the inventor of the digital calculator for Texas Instruments)

A case of mistaken identity perhaps.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will keep that in mind if I am solely looking for gold in a perfectly clean field.

Not trying to be inflammatory here, but you would get the same response from a similar sized piece of foil.

So with all machines, there is a toss up, do you dig a lot more,or do you miss stuff?

That's why they call it hunting, not "finding"

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Keppy, Texas Instruments invented the first electronic calculator. First Texas Products is the parent company of the metal detector lines you mention.. Different folks. ( I have done work in the home of the inventor of the digital calculator for Texas Instruments)

A case of mistaken identity perhaps.
Lakemonster..........Learn something every day.... no matter how old you are................. I always thought that....... Texas Instruments......&........ First Texas ... was the same company........... Now i know better...........Thanks to ..Lakemonster

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread