William H. Harrison Campaign Pin, silver, & buttons from the MASS Silver site

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other

This summer I decided to take a little hiatus from serious detecting. But now that the crops are being harvested at my favorite hunting grounds, I'm back! These are the first decent finds for me this Fall, but with thousands of acres of land to detect on the site where I found my Oak Tree Shilling and quarter cut Pine Tree Shilling. With all the Massachusetts silvers popping up lately I'm hoping to complete my Tree coin type set, and maybe top it off with a NE Shilling ;)

Both of the silver pieces are marked sterling on the back, so their not that old. The buttons have interesting designs, I'm not sure if anyone recognizes the patterns or markings, but if they catch your eye, let me know :)

The William Henry Harrison Campaign pin or button is interesting. It's my second W.H. Harrison campaign item I've found at this site and coincidentally, it was a face up surface find, just like my last one. I wasn't able to find a match for it with a quick google search. It is flat and has no yet visible back mark. Has anyone seen one like this?

Update: The William Henry Harrison Campaign item isn't a button, its a brooch from the election of 1840.
Thank you Bramblefind for the great ID on the Harrison Brooch.
Hake's - UNLISTED 1840 BRASS BROOCH WITH "HARRISON & REFORM" ABOVE CABIN.

UNLISTED 1840 BRASS BROOCH WITH "HARRISON & REFORM" ABOVE CABIN.
Bidding has ended for this item.
« Previous Item | Next Item »
Auction #197 > Item 199
Ask a question about this item | E-mail this item to a friend
Winning Bid: $600.88 (includes 15% Buyer's Premium)
Bids: 2
Bidding Ended: March 25, 2009 at 1:35 AM EDT
Auction: Auction #197 - Part I
Item numbers 1 through 991 in auction 197
Item Description
.75" across with the original brass pin extending a full additional .25" to the right. Unusual aspects of this piece are the slogan appearing on a curved line at the top of the scene rather than having his name at the top with the word "Reform" at the bottom as it appears on so many other brooches. In addition, most other brooches include the depiction of a flagpole whereas on this no pole or flag is present. The log cabin with grass below is incredibly detailed and at the far left is a cider barrel beneath a tree. The entire bkg. of the scene has very fine horizontal accent lines. Only example we know of with this design and in Exc. condition. Rare. (J - $700 to $1000)

paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• wwhbutton.jpeg
    wwhbutton.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 157
  • whhreverse.jpeg
    whhreverse.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 153
  • silver.jpeg
    silver.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 148
  • buttons.jpeg
    buttons.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 139
  • button.jpeg
    button.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 137
  • button2.jpeg
    button2.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 129
  • button3.jpeg
    button3.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upvote 7

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The campaign brooch is a very special piece—U.S. history personified! As for the button with the daisy-like design, just a few days ago I dug a similar one (see below for front/back pics) at a 1700’s site. Not saying it’s from then, but curious as to its age. The measurements are: .06 oz (24 g); 16 mm. Good luck at that spot!

decorative botton or cap - Copy.jpg decorative botton or cap_back - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
The campaign brooch is a very special piece—U.S. history personified! As for the button with the daisy-like design, just a few days ago I dug a similar one (see below for front/back pics) at a 1700’s site. Not saying it’s from then, but curious as to its age. The measurements are: .06 oz (24 g); 16 mm. Good luck at that spot!

Many of the buttons found at this site date from the 1700's and even earlier. I don't know for sure how old the button is, but I'm sure there are people on here who can give approximate dates. Those are nice pictures of your button, I will try to get some better ones of mine if I can.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread